Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 day pre-op diet, is this possible?

12 days ago I found out my insurance finally approved my lap band surgery. I know I'm suppose to go on a 2 week liquid diet prior to, however I just received confirmation this past Thursday my surgery is scheduled for March 5th. I don't know if I can lose the 10 pounds in 7 days, but I'm sticking to the liquid diet with no room for error. Is it at all possible to lose 10lbs in 7 days? Also, if I don't what will happen? I don't know what I weigh now, I haven't been weighed since October. How will they determine my weight loss? Can you all please help me with some answers!!!

12 days ago I found out my insurance finally approved my LAP-BAND® surgery. I know I'm suppose to go on a 2 week liquid diet prior to, however I just received confirmation this past Thursday my surgery is scheduled for March 5th. I don't know if I can lose the 10 pounds in 7 days, but I'm sticking to the liquid diet with no room for error. Is it at all possible to lose 10lbs in 7 days? Also, if I don't what will happen? I don't know what I weigh now, I haven't been weighed since October. How will they determine my weight loss? Can you all please help me with some answers!!!

Slow down.

Who told you you were supposed to do 2 weeks liquids?

The same people that informed you that your surgery was in 7 days?

Most importantly, who told you that you had to lose 10 pounds?

Sorry about the late response. I was given these instructions by the Lap Band coordinator. I also received a follow-up call from the nutritionist who repeated the same thing.

Yes it is possible to lose 10 lbs in 7 days. I had my surgery 02/25/10. I did the required 7 day preop diet which was 5 110 cal EAS low carb Protein Drinks and 1 (360 cal) meal. I stayed pretty close to this, cheated a little and lost 11.7 lbs. You do lose initial weight easier as your liver is releasing toxins, fats etc and the shrinking of your liver is the goal of the diet not nessesarily the numbers. Don't stress you can do it. Good luck.

Awesome!! Thanks for the reply. I just needed some confirmation I could lose so much in so little time.

I'm with BT: Your post confuses me! You say "I know I'm supposed to do a 2-week liquid diet." Who says you're supposed to? If you only have 7 days, the directive didn't come from your doctor---he wouldn't prescribe a 2-week diet if you don't have two weeks!

Not all doctors have the requirement. When they do, they generally give pretty specific guidelines in terms of amount of carb, Protein, and fat. Moving to liquids doesn't necessarily mean moving to things that will (a) promote weight loss, and (:biggrin: stimulate your liver to give up its glycogen stores (making it smaller, and therefore easier to maneuver around during surgery). You need to stick within the parameters outlined by your doctor.

Is the ten pound thing also a directive from your doctor, or did it come from insurance? Are you sure you understand it correctly? My insurance company gave conditional approval MONTHS before surgery. That was the "if you lose 6 pounds in three months" approval. Once I was approved, it was approved. No one weighed me before surgery to see how I did on the preop diet.

Why? Because the preop diet is NOT aimed for weight loss. It's intended to deplete the liver's glycogen stores. Weight loss is BONUS, not the goal.

I didn't lose 10 pounds on mine--and I was 100% compliant.

Philligirl .. do you live around Philadelphia, PA? Your name leads me to believe you might. If so, what medical group are you working with? I'm in the area and I looked at several groups before making a decision.

Anyway, I'm curious that you haven't been weighed since October which leads me to believe you haven't been seen by doctor since October. My surgeon won't do surgery with old data. Meaning I had to see docs and have tests, some within 30 days prior to surgery or I had to do them over again.

I know all surgeons have different criteria, but not seeing anybody since October? Wow!

I missed the part about not having been in since October. Did your surgeon expect you to be working on the 10-pound loss during the time between then and now? If so, I'd give the office a call and 'fess up. They will be able to give you good guidance. (It sounds as though you haven't really gotten that guidance...)