Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bio-Oil or other remedy for scars and stretch marks

Has anyone tried Bio-Oil for scars and stretch marks? I've heard good things about it. Was banded on the 19th, had gall bladder out 2 years ago and stretch marks from getting fat over the years. My gut looks like a battlefield and I want to make it look better.

stretch marks are actually scars in the connective tissue beneath the skin. Things that are applied to the skin can make the skin softer, but they cannot remove stretch marks; they don't penetrate deeply enough. Time, however, does improve them. (That's how the purveyors of stretch mark oils convince people they work---they tell us they work over time.) There are laser procedures that improve stretch mark appearance. And abdominoplasty can excise many of them. But I would not count on relief from a bottle or jar.

The appearance of scars on the surface of the skin can be lessened, though I'd check with your doctor about timing; mine does not want his patients to use things like Mederma until 6 months postop. Another alternative that works well (and is reusable) are silicone scar Patches (available in the first aid aisle near things like Mederma)--they apply pressure to the developing scar and improve their appearance over time. Again, for these, I'd check with the doctor about timing.

Things like Bio-Oil don't really have any special properties. You could likely save a lot of money--and achieve the same benefit--with Palmer's Cocoa Butter or Neutragena body oil, or any other lotion/cream/oil you like.

I started off by using a Vitamin E oil on my main scar and aqueous cream on the rest of my stomach.Then I noticed that I was developing stretchmarks. I was horrified as I have never had stretch marks even after 2 pregnancies.

I then started using Bio oil and currently my stretch marks are almost gone. Maybe its the oil, maybe its massaging the area, maybe its just luck. I doubt that it is time as it has only been 3 months since they appeared.

Its worth a try as it is not going to do you any harm and the Vitamin E is good for the skin anyway.

stretch marks form as you decrease size, rather than as you increase. And they form more easily on skin that has been stretched before, even if it's rebounded. The connective tissue beneath the skin only has so much "give."

It's better to have a marked, deflated tummy than the alternative, though, don't you think?

I'm not minimizing the psychological effects of these battle scars. I'm right with you, watching in horror as new ones appear on my body! But stretch marks do fade. Tummies can be tucked. And good health is so much more important.

You're right, none of the stuff marketed to remove stretch marks will hurt. Wait--I take that back; they may hurt your wallet. Palmer's cocoa butter is inexpensive, as are shea and other high-quality oils. They are as apt to give you good results.

I'd rather save my $$ for a good plastic surgeon!

I use Rosehip oil after a shower... i dont heal very quickly with cuts or bruises in general but im surprised how quickly these ones have faded.

not only that but its taken away any irritation such as dry-ish skin around the scars... and feels nice when massaged in :wink2:

cant hrut if you ask me, just use decent quality and make sure the scars arent still open