Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help...Cant go potty!

Yikes..1 month post-op and on solids, no fill yet and using strictly will-power because I have no restriction. :wink2:

1st fill in in 2 weeks. but can't seem get any urge for the potty. I am always constipated and have had to take gentile laxatives 3 times in the month. I have tried Milk of Mag 3 days in a row but may as well be drinking pink liquid chalk, tried prunes, benefiber (gave me major cramps), and activia., I AM drinking 60 oz of Water a day in addition to other fluids. Nothing is working.

I went to the health food store today and bought some Smooth Move tea to try, And starting taking omega-3 fish oil because someone told me that helps and they are good for you..Any other help? Thanks

I have to agree with the previous poster, Smooth Move tea works great...

Yikes..1 month post-op and on solids, no fill yet and using strictly will-power because I have no restriction. :wink2:

1st fill in in 2 weeks. but can't seem get any urge for the potty. I am always constipated and have had to take gentile laxatives 3 times in the month. I have tried Milk of Mag 3 days in a row but may as well be drinking pink liquid chalk, tried prunes, benefiber (gave me major cramps), and activia., I AM drinking 60 oz of Water a day in addition to other fluids. Nothing is working.

I went to the health food store today and bought some Smooth Move tea to try, And starting taking omega-3 fish oil because someone told me that helps and they are good for you..Any other help? Thanks

Hi! I had the same problem! And honestly, still do if I don't take a Fiber supplement. I dunno why... you'd think as much fluids as we guzzle down Constipation would so not be an issue. I thought that maybe it was b/c I have IBS but I hear this a lot from other post-op bandsters. The one sure fire thing I've found that works is Benefiber. I put 2 tablespoons in my morning Protein shake and sometimes I"ll add 1 more tablespoon to another drink during the day or evening. It has no taste... not gritty... you can't tell it's in there at all. I can even mix it in Water and not know it's there. My dr. did tell me that it's okay to use colace once or twice a week if I have to, of course I use the generic. But since I've started using Benefiber faithfully I've not had to use the Colace. Good luck and if you find anything that is a definite 'oh yeah that works' please post so the rest of us know! :laugh:)

Someone on another thread said dried apricots work like a charm.

I recommend always having your house prepared. Keep enamas and suppositores on hand at all times for emergencies. If you eat the proper amount of protien daily, you're always gonna have proplems. Try getting in metamucil everyday. If you skip it Oh oh!

How long has it been? Are you getting plenty of walking in to make things move around?

If it goes past 7 days, I'd call your surgeon or head the emergency room. If you are impacted it can affect your organs.

Check out this thread from last week: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f178/tmi-alert-constipation-110478/

Thank you for the advice..Smooth tea did the trick! It has senna and after I brought it home, my husband told me that now he recalls his grandmother in England used to boil senna pods now and then for tea..so there ya go.

It is not for everyday use, but I will keep it handy for "special" occasions.:wink2: Tastes good too. Added 1/2 tsp of honey to sweeten.