Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

hi everyone! I haven't been here in a while and I missed you guys. Traveling again, on business and visiting my old friends on the est coast. Also having an opportunity to check in with my surgeon. Great to see how everyone is coming along. I'm not going to try to reply to everyone or I'll be here all day. I did want to comment on a few things that seem to be top of mind:

Firstly welcome to everyone new here. Welcome to banded living! Congrats on your decision to take chargeof your health!

On shopping in your closet. I shopped in my closet for a year. It was an event! I had yoyed so many times, that I had clothes rangiing from 22+ to 12's. It was so much fun to shop in my closet and give away clothes as I shrunk out of them, but I'll never forget when I completely shrunk out of everything in my closet. I went shopping. I was in a J Crew outlet store, and like Leigha, brought in sizes that I thought would fit that were too big. I walked back out, and brouhgt in my first single digit size 8 corduroy jeans. I pulled them on and they fit. I sat n the floor in that dressing room and cried. When I went to pay, I was kind of waiting for the shopping police to come out and tell me I couldn't possibly be a size 8...I still lhave those pants; I've kept them the way I've kept some of my kids newborn clothes, for the memories, but they are too big!

OK - now for an experiment. My surgeon has challenged me by telling me to try "Don't eat with your hands" I've been doing this for about a week now, and finding it really helpful - but HARD!!!. So, nothing from a bag, no finger food... I sat with a knife and fork yesterday and ate a pickle (I'm probably going to blog about that one this week...) Is anyone interested in trying "don't eat with your hands? If so please let me know how it works for you.

Missed you all.

Anne, I'm glad today is better. Weather affects me, too--just a handful of gorgeous days makes all the difference. I've found that walking outdoors, even on dreary days, really helps me, emotionally. There is something about observing the changes in foliage and animal life this time of year that is so spiritually renewing.

Elfie, I'm SO glad you're going to ask your doctor about your pain. It really should be investigated at this point--and hopefully, until its cause is pinned down, she can offer some relief.

I have chronic pain issues from a long-ago accident, and good pain management is actually pretty crucial to my weight loss. First, pain ups cortisol---which interferes with loss on a number of levels. And secondly, pain makes exercise so much more difficult. (For me, I should list those the other way around--for me, exercise really is critical.)

It's good to see you, Gloria! Count me in on your no-hands challenge. My incident last night involved eating with my hands. Ordinarily, I cut everything up into tiny pieces. Last night, I got cavalier with cold shrimp. BIG MISTAKE.

So yes--I will join you, and let you know how it goes. I suspect that after my fill next week, it will make a huge, huge difference.

Plus, it just feels like "official" eating when it's not done out-of-hand. I am finding that being mindful makes a big difference, emotionally.

Okay, the furry beast is telling me, "Time to walk, woman!" So off we go....well, maybe after a little more hydration.

I'm off to Boston for a conference for the next three days, and will be in touch again Monday.

I walked 2 miles today, and have made a commitment to at least 2 miles 5-7 days a week. Plus my calories are 1200.

So I'm on my way. Oh, NSV today- a neighbor I haven't seen for about three months said "You've lost weight!" It shows!

Now, boys and girls, behave yourselves, especially Christie and Felix:tongue2:!!!

Bob, this ones for you...

After my son's doctor appointment, I took him out to lunch. We stopped in some local snooty restaurant (is there any other kind in Ann Arbor?) and I ordered a very interesting dish in a puff pastry crust. It was tender enough to cut with a fork (meaning they knew how to do it right and not turn it into chewy leather) and I took a smallllll bite...and then was distracted by something and swallowed it after only about 4 chews. Big big mistake.

I was immediately stuck. All my other episodes of stuck...they weren't by comparison. This literally felt as if someone had taken a cork and stuffed it in the little opening...and there it sat for the last 3 hours! I've been in pain and nauseous and nothing I've tried would bring it back up or relieve it. So finally (shhh...I know I probably shouldn't have), I just stuck my finger down my throat figuring if I could throw up, whatever was below in my stomach might push it back up through and out...and it did on the first 'heave'.

Which is when I learned that this wonderful dish with the odd flavor contained dried Michigan cherries and one of them apparently flattened out when I chewed on it, but didn't break it up and it must've solidly blocking that opening. OMG...I am not kidding when I say I have never felt such relief in my life! I told my husband he's on his own for dinner. I'm having a yoghurt because it's just too much effort to eat tonight, besides which I wouldn't doubt I've managed to swell the plumbing up with this idiocy and it could probably use the rest.

I think I need a short nap. This whole thing has exhausted me. So I'm going to round up my doggie and go lie down.

Elfie, Did the Dr say anything about the pain in your arm?

Christiemr- congrats on the kid free weekend. I am jealous!!!

Hummingbird- Hmm looks like you found a new use for McDonalds bags :unsure: I think I will put some barf bags in the car just in case.

Elfiepoo- That sounds horrible. Feel better soon {{{hugs}}}

I now have a cold too. Baby girl has RSV and my son has a cold too. I hate being sick when they are. 11 days until first fill can't wait.

Now, boys and girls, behave yourselves, especially Christie and Felix:tongue2:!!!

Hey! What'd I do!?!!

Elfie,

Congrats on the stuckness and PB!!

I am not the type to start a stir but the only pain I had during my heart attack was a severe burning sensation coursing up and down both arms. It came and went for a couple of days and then wouldn't stop.

I went to the emergency room and after 4 hours or so, when they were about to release me, they told me my enzymes showed that I had a heart attack.

Straight up to the cath lab and had a couple of stents placed. I had 100% blockage in 2 coronary arteries and the burning was caused by my arms not receiving any oxygen.

On the brighter side, I am an old man but I was as excited as a little school girl by the simplest thing today. I went to Olive Garden for lunch; the hostess sat us in a booth and my gut was not on or touching the table. I was actually comfortable.

Now I can't wait to get on a plane and see what it feels like to have the tray table come all the way down.

Sadly...the massage is off. WAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I realized today that I have a bag in my son's closet that I'm putting clothes he's out grown into.

AND

A bag in my closet full of clothes that I have out shrunk....

Kinda funny.

Bring on Friday!!!!!!

Sadly...the massage is off. WAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I realized today that I have a bag in my son's closet that I'm putting clothes he's out grown into.

AND

A bag in my closet full of clothes that I have out shrunk....

Kinda funny.

Bring on Friday!!!!!!

Sorry about the massage .... it's ok to whine about that one.

It is kinda neat about the bags of clothes. It brought to mind that sometime (faster than you know) those sizes of clothes will pass each other. It was such a strange feeling when my son outgrew me. It is like milestones. His feet were bigger than mine when he was in the 4th grade. He was 6'2" by the 8th grade! When they need to start shaving ......... oh geez, then it makes ya feel old. It's like the teen dating posts. It happens so fast.

Snow Snow Snow Snow....................

We are getting another big snow storm. It is already snowing (again) and in my area we are expecting a foot of the stuff by sometime tomorrow.

Good morning everyone. I just wanted to share a picture of 2 doves that were sitting on my birdbath when I got home yesterday. I am excited about spring however it is going to rain and be cold this weekend. (HB--Sorry to hear about the snow again.) I am trying to be patient on planting we always get a cold snap right after Easter, if I am not careful I will lose my crops. I am going to plant tomatoes again this year, because of my trees I really don't have enough sun to grow them but I love them so much, I will be happy for just a few. Last year my jalapeños did really well and I have really missed having them during the winter. There is just something so satisfying about going outside and picking them off a plant and using them.

Have a good Friday everyone!

post-281008-13813139188072_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone! I've missed a lot as I am trying to read all of your posts. We are still in DC. My husband is going to Capitol Hill tomorrow at 12 noon for a protest on Health Care. I'll try and upload a picture we took yesterday. We were there yesterday and there was a guy with a sign. My husband asked if he could hold it for a picture. But tomorrow is supposed to be a big day. I'm not going. Besides that we have seen all the sights and museums. Having a great time.

As far as eating goes it's been hard. I've gotten stuck and slimed big time almost every day. I'm trying to stick to liquids for a while, but the whole thing is hard. I'm trying not to let it ruin things and keeping a smile on my face. I can't even eat scrammbled eggs! Oh well!

Sunday we leave here for Northern Indiana to see my dad. He's 89 now and will be good to see him. Well, just checking in and letting you know I'm having fun. Dottie

post-274851-13813139188678_thumb.jpg

Hope you all don't mind if I join your group! I know some of you from the December Delights! I was banded 12/16/09 and have lost ALMOST 30lbs now. Went for fill #3 today and got a very conservative one (leaving for the weekend and will be 3 1/2 hours away from a hospital), but scheduled fill #4 for only 3 weeks away. I have not gone back and read EVERYTHING, but everyone seems to be doing great! I have gotten myself stuck once, but have yet to PB or slime even though I was so stuck that I was praying for it lol. My next goal is to be able to do a 5k (jogging that is...can do one walking now). We'll see how that goes. Definitly giving myself lots of time to build up to it. Last time I tried pre-op I got 5 stress fractures in my foot and wound up in a cast for a month. I told my dr that's what happens when you make a fat girl exercise lol. I think I was pushing too hard then (at least I hope!)

Welcome chickadee, join the party! I keep trying to get myself to commit to a 5K and backing out. I broke out the couch to 5K information and the first time I tried jogging sprained my butt which then bothered me for a month...so I'm using that as my excuse...but I really wanna do it!! I just don't want to take the commitment to do it if that makes sense.

On the fill front, I'm stuck somewhere between liquids and mushies, anything thicker has dire consequences. With that in mind I hit 41 pounds lost today! Woohoo! Apparently not being able to eat anything chewable agrees with me.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I'm curled up on the couch with a trashy romance novel and a warm purring cat. Things are VERY quiet when the boy is gone. :frown: