Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

Welcome Anne and Bree.

There are no qualifications for posting to this thread. Just make sure you make the membership check out to me. :wub:

How do I make a check out for "incalculable value"?:wub:

Just leave amount blank. I will think of something :wub:

Welcome Anne, Amy and Bree. It will be nice to have some newbies!

Betsy, My stepson lives in Bloomington, he just ran in a 5K there and did it in 17.27 finished 3rd overall and 1st in his age group. I am going to use this for inspiration to try and start running. I have always said in the past I would only run if a dog were chasing me and it had to be a BIG dog.

Karen --174 WTG!

Bob--I just saw another thread where a woman called you Mike! Whats with the aliases?

OK here is another strange story of my lap band transformation saga....

I usually go meet with a group of friends to have drinks 1 or 2 times a week (drinking alcohol not required). There are usually 8-10 of us there on Mon and/or Wen night. They start getting there about 4:30 and stay till 6:30 or so, we argue about politics, gripe about things a work etc. I didn't get to go last week because of work but when I went yesterday, then I only stayed for an hour because all I could think about is what I could be doing instead of sitting in a bar. :wub: So I went home and raked (part of) the yard. (Great exercise by the way.) I am wondering if my priorities are changing that much or if maybe I was just in some funky mood because of the time change/spring weather.

Anne, I'm glad you're joining us :wub:

Bob, you can blame your pseudo-gain on estrogen, if you want. You're losing weight, so you've got more of it than normal in your bloodstream. I am sure that just makes your day. (Lucky for you: the damn hormone will GO AWAY instead of make you a raging ball of...well, you can fill in the blank.)

Leigha, I find myself doing the same thing. I'm having a party on Saturday, and am already planning how I will get my evening walk in! (I love entertaining...I will muddle through this dilemma somehow.)

Well, friends, sorry it’s been a while. I haven’t been able to keep up. You guys are either too fast for me or I am just too slow! And I’ve been uber busy at work to. Man they are really putting it all on me, with the whole “you’re one of our best so we know you can do it!” Almost makes me want to slack like the rest so they will leave me alone!

I’ve still been getting in the 4 workouts a week, burning about 500 calories each workout and keeping calories under 1200 a day, carbs around or under 100 and Protein at 75 or more, and guess what? NOTHING! OK, not nothing but not much. Only been losing about a half lb the past couple of weeks. My “plumbing” is not working well, either and I don’t know what to do! Seems I only lose well when on liquids or my period, and I don’t want either of those! I’d blame it on the lack of restriction, but I KNOW it’s not that because I’ve kept track of everything and aside from my Friday binge, I have been under 1200 cals a day. Even when I went crazy last Friday, I was still under 1500 calories!

While I’m frustrated with the scale, however, my clothes keep getting bigger! Is it possible for someone to gain so much muscle mass that they shrink as much as I have but not lose pounds? I was wearing 30/32 at surgery, now I’m fitting 22/24s now easy which is what I wore when I weighed 220 - 240 in high school. So I look like I’ve lost like 70lbs since surgery, when I’ve only lost about 28! I wish I would have actually measured myself before, I need some numbers to make me feel better in my mind…you know us accountants are all about the numbers! I know I can just go with the clothing sizes, but things are cut different, so that still isn’t enough to settle my stupid brain..lol!

Well enough complaining, I am looking forward to the weekend. I’m heading up to Chicago area to see my surgeon and staff and hopefully get another fill since I have not met his 2lb a week goal. BUT, my hubby is going with me and we will spend Friday night at his moms, then Saturday night stay at the Sybaris in Northbrook…yay!!! I LOVE the Sybaris, LOVE the steam shower! If only I could have one of those in my home I would never ever leave!! The kids will each be with their favorite granny, so the weekend will be blissful for everyone!

Welcome to the new folks. Hope everyone is doing well! Gotta get back to work, cause you know, I’m the best so they say! J

Liz, good to see you!

I didn't know you were from this area! Who's your doctor? I grew up on the North Shore (now I'm further south).

Sybaris is awesome. Getting a weekend away sounds like a wonderful idea!

Yes, it IS possible to lose inches and not lose weight. The body does a lot of redistribution.

Also, remember that workouts usually result in a bit of Fluid retention.

They say the scale doesn't lie--but sometimes it really does.

Welcome Anne and Bree (and Amy once again).

Betsy--I was out in Chicago last year for a meeting--LOVE the architecture (my company had us go through the tour of the harbor--just gorgeous)!

Leigha--I hear you about priorities changing. Weird how that happens sometimes. How are things? I have to say I LOVED your wedding pics on FB. Just beautiful, doll!

Bob--how many other names do you have?!? LOL

Elfie--sad I missed dinner too. Maybe I can invite myself next time ;-)?

Christie--what time is/was your fill today? How did it go?!?

Liz--good to 'see' you!! (And for the record--I hate that blasted scale myself...most of the time)

:couch2:Many thanks for the warm welcomes!

So, to let you all know a little about me, I'm long time married to my best friend and support person, I have 4 stepchildren and 10 grandchildren, I'm a psychotherapist for 30 years after being an RN, I'm a caretaker par excellance, and I continue to work on including myself in my circle of compassion and care. I'm the only big person in a family of anorexics (not kidding), and have forever gotten and get a lot of flak for my weight (like who wants to be heavy,anyhow?)

I never even heard about a Lap-Band until last fall when I asked to see a bariatric surgeon. On my way to the band, I found out I had early stage breast cancer. I had to take care of that, which I am happy to say is now pretty much complete. So now I'm back on track for the band!

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it! I look forward to getting to know all of you...

PS That's my dog Bramble in the picture. Plus I have a terrific Siamese cat. They're the best support of all almost!

Anne, I'm so glad your cancer treatment is just about wrapped up---and that you are here & healthy and looking forward to another form of self-care.

It's interesting that you describe yourself as a caretaker. I wonder if you're like me. I, too, am a caretaker par excellence...except when it comes to myself. Learning how to do care for myself in the same loving way I do with others has been ...well, difficult. But also very rewarding.

My dog and cats are often my favorite members of my support system, too. They think I'm waaaay smarter than I am, and they listen to me far better than the humans in my life most of the time!

Karen, I agree--Chicago is gorgeous, architecturally.

I'm in the suburbs now, in a cookie cutter subdivision (that is magically built around a few acres of what little wetland prairie remains in Illinois)----but do plan to live downtown again when I have no kids at home. I want a huge loft with lots of wide open spaces. When I have grandkids, they can zoom around on Big Wheels and rollerskates :scared2:

It's astoundingly beautiful here today---I think Truman and I are going to head out for another walk. It'd be criminal not to soak up the sunshine!

Just got cleared by my surgeon to eat anything but Cookies, cake and carbonated drinks!!

Now for some real sticking, sliming and PBing!!!

PS. My latin lover alias is Felix Delgato on Facebook. :scared2:

Welcome newbies!!! Jump in! We don't bite, well, most of us don't bite, I've heard rumors about this Felix guy that lurks around but have no proof.

Grandparents are the greatest blessing...My dad is retired air force so we saw my grandparents once or twice a year, loved 'em but was never close. Connor and my folks have an amazing relationship and all parties involved start whining if they go a week without seeing eachother (we live about 15 minutes from them). They are also my wonderful and amazing sick kid back-up...as a single mom, I can't imagine life without 'em.

The fill was yesterday at 4. I'm supposed to be on liquids but cheated and had crackers this afternoon (no yelling!!!) I've just been sort of queasy all day and wanted...something...I dunno what,but it actually seems to have settled things down. I had great restriction for the first 2 1/2 weeks after the last fill so I'm expecting bigthings out of this one...I think I'm getting close to that mysterious "sweet spot" but we'll see! They call me their "easy" patient...they ask a million question and I keep saying "no" "no" "no"...I feel fine, I'm great, not losing a million pounds a month but steadily in their 1-2 pounds a week range so I'm certainly not going to complain. I'm at 8.2 in a 14 cc band, they found an extra 0.5 when they pulled the Fluid out yesterday...go figure.

We are off to soccer practice! If the boy is behaving I'll sneak away and walk around the bigger fields a couple times rather than sit and stare. I had a patient come in today I haven't seen in a year and her eyes almost bugged out of her head. There was no "are you losing weight? it was "HOW MUCH HAVE YOU LOST!" it felt great (makes up for the shrinking boob issue!)

Bob, what's on the menu?

Have a great evening everyone!

Felix Delgado! Bwahahahahaha! That's priceless!

I'm glad you were cleared to eat, Bob--and knowing your amazing weight loss history, you won't go overboard. But please be careful not to HURT yourself! I mean, stuck and sliming just ain't what they're cracked up to be!

(But have something good). We're going out tonight....big excitement. Someone else will make my little salad with a few grilled shrimp thrown on top.

Christie, I'm just two steps behind you, fill-wise. I'm almost 2 weeks in to Fill #2--and just beginning to feel the restriction taper off.

I hope your results are wonderful!

Truman and I just got back from Walk #2 for the day. It is so so so nice outside. The birds are returning, I heard tree frogs, and the beavers are building lodges at an alarming rate. It was a great walk, and brought us to a little over 7 miles for the day.

Off to fetch the youngest spawn---have a lovely evening, everyone!

WOW! Busy thread today. Lets see if I can do a little catching up.

Welcome all you thread newbies! :scared2: It is hard to keep up sometimes, but just jump in.

Betsy, Closet shopping is great!! I don't have a daughter to "borrow" stuff from, but I have been so many sizes myself over the past few years I have plenty of stock. I have many dressers and a big closet full of clothes that I have saved thinking, "I'll take off this weight someday and wear that again." Now I am wearing some of it! I have saved my scrubs and they have been a real life saver while I'm shrinking. I was in size 2X (tight), then wore the 1Xs for a bit, now the Larges are baggy! I can wear the mediums, but still a tad too tight for comfort.

BT,Bob, Brian, Mike, & Felix, Congrats to all of you for moving to the "real food" ! Now you can tell us all about your slime! Don't feel bad, I can't claim the hormone thing either.

Karen, The singing gig sounds like it was so good for you! I can't sing at all, but enjoy when I get the feeling about something like it sounds like you did from that.

Liz, glad to see you back. If part of the "plumbing" issues is a regularity issue, a tip I got from another thread has helped me. Another banster wrote about vitafusion brand Fiber gummies from Target. Just eat one gummie a day and it is smooth sailing. They are very soft gummies that melt fast and don't stick to your teeth (pet peeve). They are sugar free and only 5 cal. They work great without "lax" in the name (pet peeve).

Christie, I hope you will be at your sweet spot with this fill!

I love it when patients notice! Since I see most every 6 months, many of them have been saying something lately.

It's a nice feeling.

Shrinking Boobs! Why?! Why do they have to shrink so much!? oh well, I guess it's worth it.

My weather has been nice today. The sun shining, birds chirping, but all the snow turned my road into a big mud bog.

I think we are getting more wet spring snow Friday....ugh!

Edited by Humming Bird

Betsy,

I'm actually near Indianapolis, IN, but my husband is from Chicago (south side) so before my hubby started working weekends last fall, we would visit Chicago quite a bit. And I chose to my surgeon (Dr. Rosen of Lifeweigh Bariatrics, he has an office in Downers Grove & Merillville, IN) all the way up there because he was one of the cheaper ones self pay within driving distance and I liked that he has an excercise physiologist on staff because I feel that's really important part of weight loss. And he's on the board of surgeons at the hospital so he's pretty reputable. I actually found 2 surgerons cheaper, like $11k down in Louisville which is about the same drive as to Chicago from where I'm at, but I didn't get a good vibe from either of them they way they presented their programs. So, I drive the 3 hours up there once a month to see Dr. Rosen & his staff and if my hubby can get the weekend off, & we'll stay up there and visit his family, or, like this weekend, stay and enjoy some alone time!

I'm so looking forward to it!!!!