Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

Steve is a tempermental brat, if he was my child he'd NEVER get out of timeout.

I have to laugh every time you talk about Steve like this because my husband's name is Steve. My first husband was Steve too and he was really the tempermental brat (that is too nice a term for that Steve though).

Morning everyone. I've made a commitment to try and get in here on a daily basis since I look at this as my support group. I used to go to one at the bariatric clinic but, not only is it a 1.5 hour drive, they've changed the time so that it's not possible for me to attend. Even if you all don't comment, just coming here keeps me focused on what I've done and why I did it (the band) and what I have to do to keep making it work.

I have to admit that I'm wondering why I got the band because I don't see what it is doing for me...although I 'think' I might be at my sweet spot since I'm so tight in the mornings that I even have to drink my tea slowly so perhaps that feeling will change. If I take too big of a gulp, I'll find myself standing over the sink wondering if I'm going to suffocate before it finds its way back up and out. My son and I went to Arby's the other day and I had a regular beef and cheddar sandwich. I took half the bun off and ate it open face and I was full just two bites shy of finishing it off. I'd say it was about a cup of food.

What I have been dealing with lately is this compulsion to eat constantly. I can't be overdoing it too horribly though as I've lost 5 pounds in the almost 2 weeks since my last fill but still it worries me. I have a feeling it is from the carbs and, as much as I don't want to, need to do an Atkins style carb withdrawal to rid my system of them and get rid of these cravings.

End of part 1

Part 2...thank you if you're still reading.

I met someone yesterday and had a 'ding' sort of moment. My new daughter-in-law's stepmother and I had an interesting chat at lunch. Apparently, 20 years ago she was almost 100 pounds overweight and started attending OA (Overeater's Anonymous) because she felt like a foodaholic. She had the same reaction to food that alcoholics have to alcohol. She could go a day or two without eating anything, but that first bite in her mouth for the day would send her spiraling out of control. That is *exactly* how I've felt about my eating.

She realized that it wasn't all food. It was carbs and for 20 years has avoided them. She eats Protein, vegies and even fruit (fruit is restricted to 2-3 small servings a day if that). She does not *ever* eat potatoes, rice, bread or Pasta.

Over the years I've made that same observation. I lost 70 pounds on Atkins. The first week was hell and I likened it to withdrawing from an addiction. I was bitchy, mean, nauseous, weak, dizzy, etc. This lessened through the 2nd week until by the end of that second week, the cravings stopped. I actually had to remind myself, and force myself to take the time, to eat. I never felt like I was dieting. Best of all, my blood sugars dropped to normal ranges without medication and my good and bad cholesterol numbers also dropped to the 'perfect' range. I was energetic, felt good and on a permanent mental 'high'.

Then something would happen like a birthday party or a picnic and I'd think, "I'm doing well. I can have just a little bit of Pasta salad." Then 'whammo'...within hours that craving was back and it was downhill from there. Just like an alcoholic.

None of this is new to me. I've known this (my addiction to carbs) for years. I just never made the connection that if I want anything to change, then just like an addict I need to avoid my addiction...and it's not all food. It's just certain carbs (pasta, bread, potatoes, rice). I also realized that, like all addicts, I need a support group dealing with addiction and, while the bariatric center had a nice support group, they did not see eating as an addiction. So I looked up OA and found there's a meeting at 9:30 this morning...which I am going to attend.

I'm also going to treat all carbs found in anything except fruit and vegies (low carb types) as an absolute no-no...not even for special occasions or as a treat. Alcoholics aren't allowed to have a shot of booze as a treat for being good. We know what happens when they do...and I know what happens when I do the same with that type of carb.

I know that not everyone's weight problems are from an addiction but mine are and I need to face the fact that some foods are just permanently off limits for me because even with the band, I'm out of control. Right now I am physically and mentally craving carbs and am struggling not to just chuck it all in and eat until I pop.

So I'm headed off to take a shower and go to my first meeting. I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Melody

Elfie! Well done.

And yes, beach. September and October are our warmest months. It turns out, this weekend is a particularly warm one. Nice!

12 step programs are wonderful. If you can identify your addiction, I believe it can work well as an addtion to the band to get your eating under control.

I look to LBT and this thread in particular as my support system. My surgeon has support meetings, but he is about 40 minutes from my home and his meetings don't start until 6:30pm, go for an hour and half. I am up at 5:20am for work. No way that will happen, i'd get home too far past my bedtime.

Well say 'hi' to the sharks for me. Personally, I don't swim in anything that's no chlorinated...although I hear that hasn't stopped alligators in Florida from crawling into a few. :lol:

Went to my first meeting. Not quite what I expected, but I'm going back and we'll see what happens.

I'm doing very good today with avoiding those carbs. Can't say I'm not craving them, but every time I reach for one (like a cracker), I remind myself that it's my 'alcohol' and walk away. If I can get through this first week, the following week will be easier because we'll be at Disney where there are tons of things to do to keep my mind off food and I won't have ready access to food. Yeah I know there are food places all over, but it's still not as easily accessible as opening up a fridge.

Oh goodie...it's 2:30 and I can have my Protein drink! That should help with the cravings!

Melody

I don't swim in the ocean, eihter. Especially here, the Water temp is in the low to mid sixties. Too cold for my old butt!

Any distraction from food is good. Go to various meetings. They can be different. I also found there were different varieties of OA. I went to one that was very "militant" for lack of a better word. I had to call my sponsor each day at a certain time with my food plan and essay answers. This did not work for me, as I was doing shift work as an air traffic controller and could not guarantee that I could be at the phone at the same time each day. That program was also for people like you for whom carbs are their addiction. I was not ready for that. They had a very strict food plan that had to be followed. They would not accept a plan set forth by a nutrtionist if it contained their "bad foods." sorry, I can't remember their term for them. Basically sugar, white four, rice, and a few other things.

There was another OA variety here where you state your addiction food and go from there. Much better. But as I generally HATE making phone calls, reporting to a sponsor in general is not my thing, but I am not sure that was requred from the second program.

My point? Keep searching, you will find it!

So, that program and I parted ways.

Oops, my last two lines got mixed up!

I managed to get through yesterday but only because I went to bed at 8:15 p.m. One day at a time.

I feel pretty good this morning but am dealing with a nagging headache that woke me up in the middle of the night. One of the sure signs I'm starting carb withdrawal. I did eat an incredible amount of food yesterday but I know from past experience this is pretty typical for my first week withdrawing from carbs. I think I calculated that I ate about 3000 calories. By this next weekend, that will slow down.

One thing yesterday did prove to me is that I definitely am not at my sweet spot. I have enough restriction that it's a problem if I don't chew well, but I don't have to chew as much as I did before and I don't have to take small bites. I can also eat *way* more than 1 cup. That's ok because I've come to the conclusion that the band is probably not going to be a help for my particular eating problem.

From past experience, once I get the carbs out of my system, my daily calories are around 1200-1400 and I lose at a steady rate of 4-5 pounds per week. However, I'm also 100 pounds less than the last time I did this so I have no doubt the weight loss will be slower...and that's ok too.

So, time for Breakfast. Hope you all have a good one.

Melody

Melody, I agree with your carb addiction theory. I think everyones body responds differently to certain things. My husband gets sick if he eats too much dough. pizza dough, bread and even 1 beer gives him a tired, headache, flu like feeling that can last for days.

I hope you find a group you like and good luck getting off the carbs this week. Its kind of like the pre op diet, it sucks but you can do it!

Leigha,

Thanks for the support. I'm fortunate because my husband and son have said they'll go on the low carb with me (at least at home) so no special cooking for them or temptations for me.

Melody

One day at a time...today is Day 3 on Atkins Induction. Surprisingly, I'm not craving as much as I have in the past when I went on induction. Maybe it's the mental attitude of seeing my carbs as a true addiction and knowing that I'm avoiding them completely for that reason...and not just a diet to lose weight? Who knows the head games we play with ourselves. :smile:

At any rate, my headache is finally gone and I feel better than I usually do the first week. The mental fog seems to be gone as well. Bonus - my belly is shrinking again. At some point, after that initial reshifting of body weight (skinny legs, no butt or hips, belly reducing) any weight gain (which I did when I went from onederland back up about 20 pounds) went right to the tummy so it's nice to see it shrinking back down.

Since I'm on the induction phase I don't worry about monitoring the quantity...just making sure I'm eating minimal carbs. So, since it's a cold, rainy day I think I'm going to make a pot of my chinese Soup so I can sip on it throughout the day. It's pretty low calorie anyway but very satisfying.

Only 4 more days to Disney! WOOHOO!

Elfie, way to go!!

Hotter than Hades here, hottest day of the year yesterday.

I got home from the beach and the INSIDE of my house was 90 degrees!

Not much else to report.

Oh, I have a husband I am giving away for free, any takers?

Oh, I have a husband I am giving away for free, any takers?

I dunno...what'd he do? I might consider it if you take my demon kitty.

I thought I slept bad before. Ha! This little terror sleeps in my bed but at some point in the night I'll find him nuzzling my neck like a nursing kitten...which wouldn't be so bad except he still has his claws and uses them like kittens do when they're nursing from their mom. Feels like someone is jabbing me with pins.

Heaven help me if my husband or I move our feet under the covers. :smile:

Its cooled off here! After months of 90's and 100's today is 70! I am so tired of the a/c blowing. I have some anxiety issues that have to do with repetitive noises and the a/c really gets on my nerves.

I'm not sure who would get the worst end of the deal on the husband/kitty trade. But I have an ex wife in law that I could throw in to the mix. Yesterday was my step sons birthday so we had my mother in law and the kids over for a get together. I was making sushi and had made cupcakes when the boys mother called and wanted to come get him and take him to get an ice cream. Um, hello?, we are having a party for him right now.

Oh and our 7 year old lab has started peeing in the house! WTH!?! Last night I was in bed and had opened the door to the porch and he comes in my room walks over to the door frame that goes to the bathroom and pees on it like it was the normal thing to do.:smile: How does that start?

Melody, I'm glad to hear your doing well on your low carb, I'm rooting for you.

Denise, Hows the mouth?

I dunno...what'd he do? I might consider it if you take my demon kitty.

I thought I slept bad before. Ha! This little terror sleeps in my bed but at some point in the night I'll find him nuzzling my neck like a nursing kitten...which wouldn't be so bad except he still has his claws and uses them like kittens do when they're nursing from their mom. Feels like someone is jabbing me with pins.

Heaven help me if my husband or I move our feet under the covers. :smile:

Yikes!

DH is going thru menopause or something! Love him to pieces, but MAN!

Anyway, I'd do the trade, but I think Butters would see Beelz as a snack. :yesnod: Not a good thing! Small things that run away are a challenge to him, and he loves a chase!