Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor Would just like to have someone to talk to

Hi, I was banded 5/19/09 in Monterrey Mexico. I'm a 24 year old female currently living in Fairbanks, AK - though I will be moving back home to Georgia in July of this year. I've currently lost 37 pounds. I feel like I'm doing alright but I'm not reaching my potential with this if that makes sense. I'm still struggling with telling myself "no" as far as food goes. I looked to food for so long so it's tough now to turn away. I'd like to just have someone to email or message back and forth every now and again when I'm looking for encouragement or suggestions, etc. I really want to maximize my potential and get the most out of this experience and I feel like having someone to keep me accountable will help with that goal. I guess that's all. Thanks.

hi, i know exactly how you feel....well you can write anytime you feel like talking.....don't have lots of friends yet....but i'd love to start having.

I don't have enough experience to consider myself a mentor, however, I love to give advice and encouragement. You don't mention fills, where are you on that? (I think that can be at the heart of a slow process.) What do you do for a living? Are you very active? Tell us more about your story. If you don't want to tell in public feel free to PM me. Leigha

i'm about 1 1/2 years out and 101lbs down. Just shoot me a note anytime you need help or someone to talk to. I'm in the chicagoland area.

Kris

Thanks so much for the replies :cursing:

I did forget to mention fills.... I'm going in for my 3rd fill next Thursday. I have a 9.75 cm Inamed band so my max is 4 ccs. So far I have 2ccs in my band. Restriction has been great for at least 4-6 weeks post fill so I'm hoping for the same this go round.

I'm a therapist, I work with children. I wouldn't call my day "sedentary"... I move around, play on the flour, demonstrate exercises, and I'm up and down stairs every hour. I wouldn't call myself "active" either though. I was working out daily then I got a cold (probably from one of the kids) and I stopped my daily visits. Last Friday was my last time in the gym. I'm feeling better now, so I'm planning to get back into my routine which has been at least 30 minutes of cardio.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the support. You probably will start getting messages from me I wanna be all I can be:blush:

Oh good I think thats great that you move around at work, I bet that really helps. Plus with another fill you will probably be getting closer to restriction. Sorry to hear you have been sick, I don't like to work out when I'm sick either. (OK I just don't really like to work out) Plus lets don't forget to Celebrate 37 pounds! I don't care how long it took 37 pounds is a lot! Good job.

Thanks so much for the replies :cursing:

I did forget to mention fills.... I'm going in for my 3rd fill next Thursday. I have a 9.75 cm Inamed band so my max is 4 ccs. So far I have 2ccs in my band. Restriction has been great for at least 4-6 weeks post fill so I'm hoping for the same this go round.

I'm a therapist, I work with children. I wouldn't call my day "sedentary"... I move around, play on the flour, demonstrate exercises, and I'm up and down stairs every hour. I wouldn't call myself "active" either though. I was working out daily then I got a cold (probably from one of the kids) and I stopped my daily visits. Last Friday was my last time in the gym. I'm feeling better now, so I'm planning to get back into my routine which has been at least 30 minutes of cardio.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the support. You probably will start getting messages from me I wanna be all I can be:blush:

Hi Alyce:

I'm almost 6 years out and "being all that you can be" is a great goal. Exercise is very important to maximizing your weight loss and getting thrown off for a week by being ill is no big deal. Just go back to the gym when you are feeling better. the critical part of mazimizing your success with the band is still working the "tool" for all it can do in regardas to food choices and Portion Control. I would be happy to be here for you to speak with me about the tips I've learned to enable me to lose 250 lbs and, for the first time in my life, keep it off.

Sounds like you are highly motivated, and you are doing well. Reaching out for support from others is a huge step in the right direction. You can email me, or PM or use the forum. I'm here for you.