Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Days Post-Op and I'm Hungry!

I got my band on Monday. I'm doing pretty well in my recovery but today I'm noticing that I'm hungry! I'm still doing my full liquid diet so I can have Protein Shakes, yogurt, Jello, pudding, popsicles, and cream Soups. So do I just eat my 4-6 ounces whenever I'm hungry or what? Thanks for any advice and encouragement!

Hmmm, I wish I could relate to this but I was not hungy the first week at all. As a matter of fact the first days I had to force my self to eat and would stop when I was full. Maybe you should eat more of the Jello, popsicles, and yogurt in between.

Oh, another thing. Eat broth, that helped me out tremendiously.

I'm 4 days out and my hunger pangs are excrutiating. Besides my Protein drinks I'm only having three 2 oz servings of full liquids (Soup, yogurt or pudding) per day. I'm starving!

I thought I wasn't supposed to be hungry and then figured out that the liquids don't stay in the new pouch long enough to help you feel full. That won't happen until we progress to post-liquid stages and even more so when we have our first fill.

So, I called my doc and asked the same question as you and he told me I could eat at much liquids as I needed to keep the hunger down. He said it's not until I progress firther the diet that I need to keep the meals down to three a day.

Thank goodness!! So, if I'm feeling hungry I eat a tablespoon or two of full liquid stuff and that kills the hunger.:smile2:

Thanks Sharon!! I'll start doing that. I'm just nervous about eating too much.

I got my band on the 19th, so it will be a week tommorrow...I know the feeling, by the 3rd day I was hungry too...then it would subside, don't rush things though...have you tried Yop? or pudding ut's a little thicker and heavier, it gave me the fulll feeling.

I really wasn't that hungry the first week. sugar free lifesavers or hard candy helps. I could drink as much of the clear liquid as I wanted and I always added Protein to broth and sugar-free juices.

I got my band on Monday. I'm doing pretty well in my recovery but today I'm noticing that I'm hungry! I'm still doing my full liquid diet so I can have Protein shakes, yogurt, Jello, pudding, popsicles, and cream Soups. So do I just eat my 4-6 ounces whenever I'm hungry or what? Thanks for any advice and encouragement!
I'm 4 days out and my hunger pangs are excrutiating. Besides my Protein drinks I'm only having three 2 oz servings of full liquids (soup, yogurt or pudding) per day. I'm starving!

I thought I wasn't supposed to be hungry and then figured out that the liquids don't stay in the new pouch long enough to help you feel full. That won't happen until we progress to post-liquid stages and even more so when we have our first fill.

So, I called my doc and asked the same question as you and he told me I could eat at much liquids as I needed to keep the hunger down. He said it's not until I progress firther the diet that I need to keep the meals down to three a day.

Thank goodness!! So, if I'm feeling hungry I eat a tablespoon or two of full liquid stuff and that kills the hunger.:eek:

i got my band on monday too

nd i keep on sipping fluids all the time .. its the only thing that releives the discomfort

i am not that hungry but i just sip and sip

thanks god i am now sure the amonts are unlimited ..

the doctor told me the same but i started doubting it and i was scared i wont lose weight

please add me to your contact and keep me posted and of course ill do the same

how long would you both return to work ?

ill try to take an extra week off .

thnx for sharing this :mad2:

love jasmine

Hello, Ladies

I also had surgery on monday feb.22. I'm still dealing with this gas and hunger has kicked in put not too bad. I don'tknow if it's hunger or gas. But, I still get full fast. It's a progress I will just be glad when I'm not sore so I can excercise.

Some of you are concerned about gaining weight if you eat extra small servings of liquids to keep hunger under control. So, what are the effects on calories of consuming more than three? I had 5 servings of full liquids today and tracked my intake.

The effect of adding two 2 oz servings of full liquids was an increase of only about 60 calories. Our goal in the first few months is 600-800 and my calories were a little over 400 with 5 servings. Protein was 66 grams and 29 oz's of fluid(need more.)

It helped to track my intake today to see whether I was within the guidelines for everything. So long as my pouch is comfortable and I'm within the guidelines I'm going to continue to add a couple servings of clear or full liquids to curb my hunger during the day. Hopefully the hunger pangs will subside once other foods are introduced and stay in the pouch longer than liquids. (This is merely my opinion and the bottom line is to comply with "your" doctor's orders.)

Hi Sharon,

Loved your idea of tracking calories and Fluid intake. The Protein Shakes relieve the hunger for awhile and that helps.

My doctor's office said to expect some gain in this period before we begin to utilitze the band with full food.< /span>

Yes, the fluids pour right thru and don't allow satiety. Darn.

Joyce in KC

Hey everyone!

I can defiantly relate.. at 3 days post-op I was starving! I did alot of walking and made sure to drink Water as much as possible. Water & Gatorade seemed to help alot along with the walking.

I was very sore from the incisions especially the one under my breast so I walked without a bra on because it was more comfortable that way. Just do whatever you can to get your mind off of food, it will get better.

I got my band on Monday. I'm doing pretty well in my recovery but today I'm noticing that I'm hungry! I'm still doing my full liquid diet so I can have Protein shakes, yogurt, Jello, pudding, popsicles, and cream Soups. So do I just eat my 4-6 ounces whenever I'm hungry or what? Thanks for any advice and encouragement!

My doc told me that the weeks after surgery were for healing, not losing weight, and if I was hungry (or even if I 'thought' I was hungry), not to worry about it and just eat...within the guidelines.

Question for everyone on full liquids:

How many ounces of full liquids do you put in your pouch at one time? Even putting in two oz. can give me that tightness in my chest that must be my "new" feeling of fullness.

I also seem to bloat up with stomach gas whenever I eat which can be uncomfortable for a little while. (Don't think it's the CO2 gas though.) It kind of feels like indigestion too. Anyone else feel that way when they eat?

Whatever uncomfortable feelings I get in my tummy seem to be mostly relieved by walking. Walking is my new friend!

Hi everyone,

I was banded on Tuesday and I'm feeling the hunger pangs as well. I started full liquids today because yesterday I was still not feeling so hot from the gas, so I just stuck with clear fluids. Today I'm feeling much better, although I'm tired. I had an Atkins Advantage vanilla shake that I divided in half and then sipped on. That helped with the hunger. It actually tasted much better then I thought it would. Can't wait until I can add some fruit to it.

don't forget that sometimes what feels like hunger pangs can actually be your body telling you it needs more Water, so make sure you are keeping up with your Fluid intake.

Has anyone started having diarrhea? I started with that a few hours ago. :eek:

I'm so glad there's a place to come talk to people going through the same things at the same time. :mad2:)

Bobbi