Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I live in Lincoln and am getting banded in six days in Denver (a 7 hour drive). Unfortunately, I have no choice but to go alone. My current plan is to be banded on Tuesday and drive half-way home on Thursday and then finish the drive on Friday. Am I nuts to think that I will be able to pull this off?

I was banded yesterday at 10 am and was out of recovery and getiing in the car at 1pm, but my wife was driving me. If I needed to drive tommorrow I probably could if I HAD to, I am hurting but I went to the store and walked around for about 30 minutes and feeel better. I would not set a time frame on getting home and I would not hesitate to stop and rest when you need it, be careful and I wish you the best of luck. Get some liquid tylenol for the pain as the liq. pain killer may knock you out even though it is like speed for me! Cant sleep at all when I take it.

I live in Lincoln and am getting banded in six days in Denver (a 7 hour drive). Unfortunately, I have no choice but to go alone. My current plan is to be banded on Tuesday and drive half-way home on Thursday and then finish the drive on Friday. Am I nuts to think that I will be able to pull this off?

i had my operation on 22nd

this is my 3rd day post operative

i dont thing its a good idea to drive

youll have the first few days an abdominal pain at the site of the port

and you wont be able to move ur legs as u wish ..

plus the first days you ll have gas distension

they usually say you dont drive after lap band except when ou can toatlly use the brakes with no pain at all

hopes this helped

good luck and ask me about anything u need:smile:

I just got banded today and i honestly feel i can drive but you will get a speech about driving while on medication. I would say be catreful and if you in anyway feel weak or pain STOP and rest asap. :smile2:

I can't imagine ANY circumstance in which you would be permitted to drive yourself home from surgery. The hospital will not likely release you without another responsible adult present to do the driving.

Even if they do--yes, it's TOTALLY nuts to consider it. Aside from the fact that you will be very uncomfortable, you will still be experiencing effects from anesthesia and narcotics.

ETA: It would be a really good idea to check with the hospital about their policies before you move forward with this plan. You could always hire a college kid to do your driving--there have to be people in your area who have good driving records and the time to spare.

Edited by BetsyB

I just got banded today and i honestly feel i can drive but you will get a speech about driving while on medication. I would say be catreful and if you in anyway feel weak or pain STOP and rest asap. :eek:

You are still loaded on pain meds!!! Lol, I went with my wife to the store 30 minutes after I was out of recovery on the way home. I was still in my sweat pants and wristbands and bandaids ect. Shoung but I really don't know what we went for! There are sugar free Popsicles with real fruit and 25 calories stay away from them, I thought they would be good for the dry mouth and all they have done is cause the worst abdominal pain I have had so far. I guess with nothing but poweraid zero in my stomach and my Protein shake it has caused a lot of gas and I am in terrible pain. Beware don't get them! I froze crystal light in ice cube trays and it works so much better

Everyone is different, so you will have to go with how you feel. I stopped taking the pain meds the morning after my surgery with Dr. K. Since you are having surgery on Tuesday and not heading home until Thursday, I think you should be ok if you break the trip up like you said. I would not make the drive if you are still taking the pain meds. If you even feel a little bit sleepy stop driving. Do they have someone taking you from the hospital to the hotel after surgery?

Thanks for all of the replys. I do have someone taking me from surgery and staying with me at a hotel for the first day after surgery and plan to stay another night as well before heading home.