Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to group BMI 30 surgery in May

Well I did it I got my band on the 10th. 4 days later and I am doing great. I opted to not stay the night in the clinic and got up put on my clothes and went back to the hotel. The clinic was great I was just antsy and needed to get moving. I have been uncomfortable on occassion but never in really bad pain. I am home taking care of my 12 month old, just trying to keep up with the minimum. I haven't had a pain killer or even a tylenol since the surgery day.

So far I am pleased with The OCC and Dr. Ortiz. Everything went very smooth. I am on clear fluids and can have liquid yogurt in a few days. Haven't weighed in and don't plan on it until I get rid of my bloated belly. :biggrin:

I am moving in 2 1/2 weeks and havent packed a thing yet. I hope I heal quickly!!!

I was so glad to find this post and a group of low BMI folks. I joined the site a few days ago and posted in the intro section "to Mexico or not to Mexico that is the question". I am just starting my research and I will more then likely be going to Mexico to have the surgery..only not sure where yet. I am hoping in June. Though I wanted to try to get it done before my kids are out of school for the summer.

I already feel the stigma of having a lower BMI and going to the ::GASP:: extreme of having surgery, when I want to say frankly I know the insurance companies that do cover it consider it because of the medical need but let's be honest who doesn't want to be thin? It is as hard for me to diet and keep weight off as it for someone who weighs 50+ more pounds then I do, only instead of having to go on a calorie restricting diet for 8 months they may have to do it for a year and a half or more. It is hard either way and almost impossible to maintain.

I am not a nurse or doctor but perhaps the surgery is less risky because I do not have all the medical issues ...YET.?

Congrats to those who have their dates and for those like myself who are gearing up to set theirs.

Please keep us posted on the success. I have noticed so many people on this site that come on make 4 posts that they are having surgery (especially in mexico) and never come back to tell us how it went. It concerns me that it may be a promoter or something. :biggrin:

You are not alone :thumbup: I would like to lose 50 lbs. At the OCC (Ortiz) they set my goal at losing 35??? but I didn't go through this to still be even a tiny bit chubby...lol Feel free to send me a message anytime!

at last. I'm almost able to roll over in bed without pain. My swelling is down and I'M ON MUSHIES. MMMMM.

Don't mean to sound like a baby.

Down 6lbs so far since april 27th. YEA!

Healing and losing.

I was banded on june 21st with Dr. Ortiz. So far I've lost 20lbs!! I'm going back on August 10th for my first fill. I'm so excited! how many fills did you other low bmi bandsters have?

In suburban Chicago, self-pay, of course. There are two providers I know of in the Chicago area who will band at 30.

May I ask what your cost was for the self pay? And what doctor you saw in Chicago? Thanks!!

I am 5'4 and 176 lbs. I am tired of struggling. I am getting a lap band in Mexico mid-May. I am very curious how the weight loss will go. I have 2 friends who have had the lap band and both are doing great.

I know my weight doesn't seem like a lot to some but to me it makes all the difference in the world. I don't understand how people can get boob jobs or tummy tucks and that is ok but when someone gets a band so they don't have to be "fat" anymore it is bad or you are cheating. Aren't we all cheating whether it is cosmetic dentistry , botox, boob job etc. I want to be thin and I can't do it on my own.

My goal is 145 by August 2010 and 125 by my anniversary date for a total loss of 50lbs. :wink:

OMG I GOT TO SAY I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOUR ATTITUDE, YES ITS SO TRUE HOW COME ITS OK FOR PEOPLE TO GET BOOB JOBS AND Tummy Tuck AND YET ITS OK,

I AM 5'5 WEIGHT 204 MY BMI IS 33

AND EVERYONE IS SO AGAINST ME, THEY TELL ME THAT WHAT THE HELL I'M I THINKING TRYING TO GET THE BAND, HOWEVER I DID GET APPROVE WILL BE GETTING THE BAND ON JUNE 27, 2011, I AM EXCITED BUT AT THE SAME TIME SCARED, CONFUSED, I JUST DONT HAVE NO SUPPORT :(

I am 5'4 and 176 lbs. I am tired of struggling. I am getting a lap band in Mexico mid-May. I am very curious how the weight loss will go. I have 2 friends who have had the lap band and both are doing great.

I know my weight doesn't seem like a lot to some but to me it makes all the difference in the world. I don't understand how people can get boob jobs or tummy tucks and that is ok but when someone gets a band so they don't have to be "fat" anymore it is bad or you are cheating. Aren't we all cheating whether it is cosmetic dentistry , botox, boob job etc. I want to be thin and I can't do it on my own.

My goal is 145 by August 2010 and 125 by my anniversary date for a total loss of 50lbs. :wink:

OMG I GOT TO SAY I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOUR ATTITUDE, YES ITS SO TRUE HOW COME ITS OK FOR PEOPLE TO GET BOOB JOBS AND Tummy Tuck AND YET ITS OK,

AND EVERYONE IS SO AGAINST ME, THEY TELL ME THAT WHAT THE HELL I'M I THINKING TRYING TO GET THE BAND, HOWEVER I DID GET APPROVE WILL BE GETTING THE BAND ON JUNE 27, 2011, I AM EXCITED BUT AT THE SAME TIME SCARED, CONFUSED, I JUST DONT HAVE NO SUPPORT :(