Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories and your hair..

hey i was just wondering how many calories you guys eat per day to make you lose weight? i heard you supposed to eat 1500 calories a day, true?

How many calories do you eat per day when you've reached your goal to maintain it?

now about hair, my hair doesn't fall out as much as it use to (thank god), I can tell it's growing back by seeing the little pieces sticking out everywhere, but i have a feeling i don't get enough Protein in and i can't stand Protein shakes anymore, the thought of it makes me wanna puke. i heard B-12 helps with that and another one that i can't think of, i know i ask this question alot but what do you use to get your hair fuller and thicker

I got banded in September and my hair was falling out like crazy. I started taking Bioten (u can get it at GNC or a Vitamin store) it seems to be helping..

I eat about 1200-1400 calories per day. I do drink Protein shakes or Protein drinks between meals and one in the evening so I'm getting around 100gm of Protein just in my drinks.< /p>

I haven't lost any hair and, in fact, my husband commented the other day that my hair seemed fuller and shinier and was a more vibrant red than it has been. I think it has more to do with the protein than the calories I'm taking in.

I like the EAS Protein Shakes but when I get tired of them, I drink a fruit flavored liquid Protein from newwhey.com. My favorite is the fruit punch, but they also have blueberry and other fruit flavors. You can drink them straight or diluted them in Water (which is what I do)

I take in 1000 - 1200 calories a day and I get about 75 - 80g protien a day. Sometimes more sometimes less. I take Biotin 5000mg and B-12 everyday, but I was doing that long before I even thought about lapband. Since surgery, surprisingly, my hair is growing faster and thicker than before. Could be from all the Protein, but I also stopped putting chemicals (such as relaxers and hair dye) in my hair as well, so that may be helping.

I would gain weight on 1500 calories--my body just can't handle it. I tend to eat between 800-1000, with a bit of give and take on either side.

I DO get 100+ grams of Protein each day, no matter what my calorie level for the day. I supplement the food I eat with Protein shakes because research shows that bariatric patients who get a minimum of 80 g do better, result-wise than those who stick with the (often-recommended) 65 grams. If you're not even meeting the 65 grams recommended by your doctor, I'd think hard about protein supplements. Bariatric Eating's Inspire line is really good.

I also take bariatric Vitamins, an extra Vitamin D, and Co Q-10 supplement--all at my doctor's recommendation.

I'm not as far out of the gate as many, so it's a bit early to know how my hair is going to respond. Right now, I can tell you that it, and my nails, are REALLY happy with the extra protein. That doesn't mean I won't lose hair; the trauma of surgery itself may catch up with it. We'll see.

ETA: I forgot to address one of your questions. You asked about how many calories you need to maintain. This is really individual--and something you'll have to figure out, by trial and error, when you get there. Depending on your basal metabolic rate, your activity, etc--it can really range widely. A good way to figure out what your body needs is by gradually adding calories each day, and watching the scale. If you add 50 calories a day for a week, and your weight loss continues, the next week you might bump it up another 50 calories. You keep doing this until you find the level where you're neither gaining nor losing.

Edited by BetsyB

I started losing hair about 3 months post op, and then started taking Biotin. I am finally seeing a difference 3 months later. The Hair loss has stopped. (I eat probably around 1000 - 1200 calories per day.)

I eat between 1000 and 1200 calories a day.

As far as my hair, I just drink my shakes (the eas myoplex lite ones are good) and eat things high in Protein. I don't really do anything special. However, I have noticed since having surgery and losing weight, my hair has gotten a lot more healthy.

should i take Biotin or b-12? do i need to tell anyone?

anyways, my nutritionist told me to EAT my Protein and not to drink it. and i can never drink Protein shakes again, they always make me sick but Atkins are ok and slim fast but idk

reason why i ask about the hair part is because i am lightening(bleaching) my hair to dye it a purple color and im worried itll fall out all the way for some reason and i need to start getting that protein in before spring break, i plan on dying it at the end of spring break ahh and reason why i asked about calories is b/c i set up a chellenge for myself to lose 45-58 pounds by june 12th or june 26 and im worried it wont happen cause 1. i have no fill and i wont be getting one soon, 2. i feel like i cant motivate myself enough, 3. i want to workout but when i do my mind says "i dont feel like it" anymore i know i need to push myself better but i cannnnnttt

I eat my Protein at mealtimes. I supplement in between. Our stomach capacities are small; getting enough is important. If you're not getting enough in, this might be one of those occasions where it's appropriate to "smile and nod" at your doctor's advice, so that you can make sure you meet YOUR requirements. (His are different.)

If you've experienced hair loss, and it's not yet fully regrown, dying your hair DARKER will make the loss more obvious. Going lighter (and shorter) tends to make it less obvious.