Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a doctor's appointment this morning and actually made the appointment to see him because, since surgery, I have a constant pain in my left upper arm depending on how I'm positioned. It's much worse when I'm lying down and it's gotten worse with each fill.

After doing a lot of research on the internet, I've discovered that it's something called 'phrenic nerve pain' and most likely is related to some portion of the band system rubbing against my diaphragm. With each fill it probably pulled something more taught, causing increased rubbing on the diaphragm.

I told my surgeon about this last time (through his assistant) so he would have time to check on it as they'd never heard of this problem. Apparently he has, but it's not something he's ever run across.

My problem is that he has limited suggestions. I can get the fill removed :wink: so that the pain is minimal, but this isn't a reasonable solution since without the fill, it's like I'm not banded. If I want to get rid of the pain completely, I can have the band removed. Or I can take pain meds to deal with it.

I don't like any of these solutions but this if these are my only choices, I'll put up with the pain for as long as I can and lose as much as I can, have the band taken out and *hope* I will, by that time, have learned new food habits and can keep it off on my own.

I'm praying there are other options so if anyone out there has heard of this and can help, please please, I'd like to hear it.

I would want to know which portion is touching on the diaphragm - if it's the tubing, maybe they could shorten or re-route the tube. I would want to see what part is causing the issue before trying to make any difficult decisions.

Good luck to you!

Since being banded I have this pain on the side of my neck. Sometimes it's really bad. I noticed with this last fill that it's gotten worse. Last night I even took Tylenol. Is this the same thing...I wonder? What do you think? Could it be because of the band. I don't think anything would make me give up my band. What are you gonna do? Oh no!!! I'm so glad you posted this. I thought I was nuts with this pain in my neck. Let me know what you think...

Wow. I have pain like that. I am chalking it up to fibro currently. I hope you find some answers.

This is a sharp pain...like the gas pain you had after surgery. No like fibro...I have fibro and those are dull pains. Fibro makes me feel like I have the flu. This is not like that at all.

I hope you figure it out also. I have that pain too. I have been taking Aleve (I know we are not suppose to; but, when it is bad it works) and a heating pad.

Not as uncommom as we though, I guess. I go to the doctor on Monday will let you all know what I find out.

Hi there! I know exactly what you are talking about. It started after surgery with me. My doctor told me that some people are more sensitive than others to the nerve pain. Mine will go away from time to time but after a fill it seems to come back. I hope that this subsides for you and you can tolerate it. I take low dose pain meds for some old ortho injuries and this does seem to help on the days that I just can't tolerate the pain.

FYI- My doc also said that it has something to do with the positioning of the band and how close it is to the nerve that runs up the center of our body. You are not alone......feel better!

This is a sharp pain...like the gas pain you had after surgery. No like fibro...I have fibro and those are dull pains. Fibro makes me feel like I have the flu. This is not like that at all.

I'm sorry, I should have quoted, we were typing at the same time. My upper left arm has had pain for about the last 4 weeks.

When I was first diagnosed with the fibro, 20 years ago, upper arm pain was my presenting problem.

I would want to know which portion is touching on the diaphragm - if it's the tubing, maybe they could shorten or re-route the tube. I would want to see what part is causing the issue before trying to make any difficult decisions.

Good luck to you!

I just assumed it was the tubing. I'll have to look at an anatomy diagram to see if my port is on the diaphragm.

Oh gosh, Elfie. I'm so sorry to hear about this. I don't have any suggestions or anything, but just wanted you to know you're in my thoughts.

I don't think it will be the port, I suspect either the tubing or the backside of the band.

I asked the PA that does my fills how much slack they leave the in the tubing - he had no idea - apparently he's never sat in on a surgery. Things that make you go "hmmm".

Have any of you with the pain had the hiatal hernia repair? Sometimes I think that is what is giving me the problem.

I felt something in the front and wondered if that was the hernia repair and the doctor said no that was in the back.

Yikes... I am very sorry to hear about this problem you are having... I have no advice or answers but I am thinking about you all and hope you can find a solution without taking your bands off or having them completely unfilled... Wow, I never even knew of such complications... Prayers for all who are struggling with pain....

My husband suggested that perhaps as I lose more weight, the tubing, or whatever is rubbing, may 'drop' and not be as taught. So I'm feeling a bit more positive this morning...and motivated to maybe work a little harder to lose a little faster just to see if I can't stop this pain.

What I wouldn't give for a good night's sleep! I'm not a nice person when I'm sleep deprived. :smile2:

Elfie, I had the phrenic nerve pain for months. It could have been worse for me because of many things. I had H.hernia repair and have had fibro for years. I would tell you not to get an unfill. You have been working toward your sweet spot and it is worth your effort. All I can tell you is that the pain does stop and the pressure on the nerve does stop with just the right amount of weightloss. I found that the equate brand menthol pain Patches from Walmart saved me and my sleep at this stage. Just put one on your arm or shoulder in the evening and leave it on all night. They are only $3.98 and well worth the trip to walmart.