Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery, what to expect

Ok, surgery date set. 3/8 at 10:30 am. Current BMI 34, expected BMI at surgery date approx. 32-33. Male.

What should I expect with regard to right after surgery. I have a pretty good pain threshold but wanted to know what everyones opinion was and what you've experienced. Don't paint it rossy if it wasn't but also don't try to scare as I've done my homework and am ready. My largest concern is that it is my kids spring break and we're not telling them what I'm doing so I don't want them concerned. They've seen me go through a vasectomy and wisdom teeth so i'm wondering how this will compare. Obviously more of a surgery thus more time and other items but how much more. Everyone is different but if you could tell me your experience it would be great. Thanks.

I just had my surgery on 2/26... I actually felt quite good (though sleepy) the day of my surgery. Hardly needed any pain meds (no morphine, just 1 Lortab). My biggest problem was a sore throat, and some moderate shoulder pain from the gas. I slept fairly well and was able to get in and out of bed without too much trouble (some people say they can't do it without help). Day 2 the shoulder pain and sore throat went away, but I had random pressure in my abdomen from gas. Day 3 was a little better, but on day 4 I had horrible nausea and dry heaves. I don't know why. Day 5 was great and day 6 (today) I feel almost normal again. I've been doing my normal stuff pretty much and feel great!

There is a "surgery day" sticky threat in either the "Post Op" or the "General Discussion" forums.... I read a lot there that scared me, but helped me to expect the worst and have my experience seem "lucky."

Good luck to you!

I had mine on 1/27, a Wednesday and went back to work on the following Monday.

Day Off Post Op - I took pain meds and was able to walk around. Yes I had some gas pain and the stomach hurts. Getting up and down felt kind of stiff. I also had a sore throat for about 4 days. It felt to me like I had done a really hard work on muscles I had never used before.

Day 1 Post Op - I was tired, but able to take 3-4 15 minute walks, the I felt good until about 3-4 pm and took some more pain meds. Slightly better on the soreness. Took a 2-3 hour nap.

Day 2 Post Op - Much like day 1, but more energy and less soreness.Took a 3-4 hour nap.

Day 3 Post Op - I was feeling fairly good, the inner stomach felt much better, the actual incisions were still tender to the touch. I did not take more pain meds other than Tylenol. Longer walks 2 20 minute sessions.

Day 4 Post Op - Started to feel human again. I went to the movies, took a another 2-3 hour nap. Bending was still tender.

Day 5 Post Op - I actually felt deceptively good. I had to be careful not to hurt anything.

It took another 2 weeks for the incisions to fully heal.

everyone's different like you said, in my case, i seriously didn't feel any pain afterwards, i think the only bad thing where some gases i had.....but other than that everything went smoothly....so i guess you'll be able to enjoy your kids.

goodluck and wish you the best.:smile2:

I just had my surgery Tuesday afternoon.

There has been no real pain.

Following surgery I had unbearable gas, it felt like something was trying to push its way out of my stomach. I ate a bunch of Gas-X strips and farted a lot. Felt better when I went to bed. Slept great.

Wednesday morning, the gas was back. Back to the Gas-X strips and farts.

Today, when I got up every muscle in my body was aching. It was not pain but bothersome aching. I took the dogs to the dog park for 2 hours, got plenty of exercise and felt ok. Just woke up from a 4 hour nap and the aches are back.

I can't wait to see what is in store for tomorrow. :smile2: