Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not over weight but still want lap band

Well, counselling is also a good idea. IN fact I'd suggest it for anyone who has a LAP-BAND® anyway. :) Fat isn't just physical, it's in the mind too, and we've gotta change so much of ourselves...

I wouldn't recommend it for you if you can avoid it, but I won't say no either. :thumbup: But before you head for the operating theatre, try the counseller.

You could start to behave as if you already have the band? We have to do things like buy smaller plates/bowls to make the portions smaller, eat reeeaaal slow, no drinking during a meal or for half an hour after. Get smaller meals when you eat out. That sort of thing. Your body would get used to the changes with or without the band, it'd just take a bit longer.

please tell me more:thumbup: i think you have the best advice so far !!! what do ppl that have the lap band do ?how small are the portions and how many time a day u eat? maybe i can just act like i have it or try to anyways.

Hi:

If you're not sure how to prevent from gaining the weight why not get some nutritional counseling? They will let you know how many calories you should be eating at your current weight in order to maintain or give you advice on how to lose a few pounds if that's what you need.

Another thing to consider is screw the calorie and/or points counting and just exercise alot. You could try to increase your exercise enough to offset your food intake. Try wearing a pedometer and get in 10,000 steps per day (approx. 5 miles).

A third thing to consider is to see your physician and have a complete physical. If you're really eating low calorie and you're gaining then you might have a medical problem.

Hope all goes well and you can fight the obesity beast!

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

What is your height? There are many people on this forum that have started with low bmi's please check out

Low BMI Bandsters - LAP-BAND®

As for me I started with a BMI of 33 but in Korea that is not really seen as being a low bmi because people are so skinny here so it is acceptable to have weightloss surgery at that weight. I am 5'6 and want my bmi to be about 23 or near there. Having the band is not going to make you lose weight. You must change your attitude and feelings towards food. If i wanted to I could gain weight with the band eating bad foods like ice cream pop beer fried food etc but I was dedicated to losing my weight and worked hard towards that goal.

im 5'2 and i know im not over weight right now becouse i am on diet but i hve been gaining like 1 pnd a month regardless . i dnt eat crappy food only on special ocasions like a piace of cake om MYbirthday . the only reason why im not over weiht is becose i dedicate my self to loosing weight so i dnt realy now how what else to do ... one pnd a month will add up if i dnt fgr out what to do now:sad:

I think it's WONDERFUL that you want to catch the problem before it ...ha, no pun intended...balloons. You have identified a trend, and that's a really important first step.

The logical second step is NOT gastric banding, though. What I would do in your shoes is this: start a diet journal someplace like fitday.com. There, be brutally honest about what you eat and how much.

It's clear that most of your diet is healthy. But too much of a good thing is too much---so you need to identify how much you're getting. (And you need to account for that other 15 percent--'cause you said the good stuff makes up 85 percent of your intake.)

You might be surprised about how many calories you're taking in. Or you might not---I ate healthily pre-banding, and gain on a fraction of what other people need just to maintain. (Sometimes, life just ain't fair!)

Either way, armed with concrete information, you can share, with your doctor, your concerns. S/he can evaluate your eating patterns, and make an appropriate referral to a registered dietitian or nutritionist very experienced in tailoring eating plans to individual needs.

You mention that your female family members do not have health consequences related to weight yet--and that's wonderful. But you say there are attitude issues. Be honest about your own (this is NOT a slam; all of us here have certain attitudes toward food---and each and every one of us has had to CHANGE those attitudes in order to de-prioritize food in our lives, let go of it, and let go of the weight). A counselor can be really helpful for this.

You are not doomed to a lifetime of dieting. But it's a myth that normal-weight people stay that way effortlessly---so maybe it would be worth trying to reframe your unhappiness that you're maintaining a normal weight by dieting as a positive: when you are mindful of what you eat and give your body what it needs, you are ABLE to maintain a normal weight.

That is actually a really, really good thing! (It also rules you out as a candidate for banding.)

The thing about banding that might discourage you, I think, is that it really does require as much attention and mindfulness as what you are currently doing.

Edited by BetsyB

please tell me more:thumbup: i think you have the best advice so far !!! what do ppl that have the LAP-BAND® do ?how small are the portions and how many time a day u eat? maybe i can just act like i have it or try to anyways.

They're about half a cup to a cup in portions, ideally. :) Three times a day only... though I think a lot of docs disagree on that, some go for five small meals. It all depends on the doc. Mine wanted only three meals.