Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am finding myself not able to get in the most meat - I dont think i am getting enough protien or veggies - most meals are carby, like weight watchers Pasta or something like that -

do any of you have a trick to get in some meat?

I also find when i do get the meat in I am too full for veggies? Any advice there?

i do have some morning start veggie burgers, trying to hit 2 birds with one stone there - we will see how they go down.

Tried turkey with gravy tonight and that didnt work - i ended yup eating 4 brocoli pieces and mashed potatoes.. not a very healthy dinner.< /p>

Whillow,

I eat about 3/4-1 cup of food at each meal.

I always start with the Protein and try to get in at least 2 ounces. Then I make sure I eat at least 1/4 cup of vegies. If I still have room, I'll eat 1/4 cup of carbs...no more.

I don't worry about whether or not I'm getting enough Protein because I drink 3 low carb, low cal Protein shakes each day (one mid-morning, one mid-afternoon and one mid-evening). They give me all my protein grams.

I keep the carbs low mainly because I'm a diabetic and I find it easier to control my insulin requirements (which are becoming minimal as time goes on) without the complication of the carbs.

Plus, carbs make me crave more carbs unless I keep them to a very minimum. If I eat carbs for lunch (say in the form of a few crackers or half a grilled cheese sandwich), I won't eat them for dinner and vice versa. I never eat carbs for Breakfast. Ok...I do but they are a couple grams here and there.

I probably don't eat more than 35-40 carbs per day.

This is where the Protein Shakes come in handy. Use the type with 20 grms Protein per serving (at GNC). I mix mine with skim milk and have for Breakfast. Thats about 29 grms protein for about 250 cal. At first I wasen't real crazy about them but I actually get my "chocolate fix" by using the choc. flavored one. Also extremly important, Take your Vitamin. It is impossible to get all the nutrition you need from the little we eat. Good Luck, Leslie

I'm right there with Elfie---Protein comes first, always. This is what my doctor recommends, and in fact, he doesn't recommend adding grains and other carby foods back in until 75 percent of excess weight is lost. I am not sure I'll always stick by that directive, but I can tell you that when I eat adequate Protein, then there's no room for the carbier stuff.

If you have difficulty with meat, try preparing it in ways that keep it moist---braising, crockpot, and so on. Experiment with different cuts, add a little sauce, and so on. You have to make sure you don't dry it out; rare is better than well done for band purposes. chicken tends to dry out easily; using dark meat helps avoid this. I've found that fish is very easy for me to tolerate---I liked it (but didn't love it and didn't often cook it) preop, but now I really love it---and rely on it a lot.

Beans are a good meat alternative; they are carbier than meat, but the "good" kind with low glycemic impact. They also have good staying power. Yogurt (maybe even with a bit of Protein powder added) is good in a pinch.

I also continue to use protein shakes. I like the Inspire brand from Bariatric Eating. I have 1-2/day depending on how I've met my protein needs.

I agree with others--I try to do two shakes or 1 shake and some Protein mix in pudding or yogurt. I get most of my daily protein doing that.

As with everyone else. DO the shakes and you might want to drink a low sodium V8 once and awhile for your veggies.

I've use my George Foreman Mean Fat reducing grilling machine and almost all that I cook in it comes out tender perfection.... It cooks both sides at once so you only need a few minutes. 1 chicken breast takes about 3-5 minutes. Most chicken breasts are too thick for me so I slice them into two thinner pieces... So 3 minutes is about perfect... Thick ones maybe 5-7 minutes... Boneless skinless chicken Thigh meat takes about 8 minutes... Lamb Chops the same... Steaks take about 7 Minutes... Mostly it depends on how thick of a cut you are cooking but the cooking time is pretty fast and it makes everything so juicy delicious...

Now I MUST learn to cut out the side dishes of Pasta, Rice, stuffing and potatoes!!!! Those are the death of me....

Fish works really well for me, it doesn't have a lot of connective tissue so it goes down soft. Its what I use for a few days after a fill. Sam's has individually frozen fillets in the freezer section that aren't to expensive.

I am finding myself not able to get in the most meat - I dont think i am getting enough protien or veggies - most meals are carby, like weight watchers Pasta or something like that -

do any of you have a trick to get in some meat?

I also find when i do get the meat in I am too full for veggies? Any advice there?

i do have some morning start veggie burgers, trying to hit 2 birds with one stone there - we will see how they go down.

Tried turkey with gravy tonight and that didnt work - i ended yup eating 4 brocoli pieces and mashed potatoes.. not a very healthy dinner.

Great responses on this thread. Protein first. Make sure you are getting in your Protein requirement - your doctor probably gave you a target for minimum grams of protein - what I ususally hear is 60 -80 grams/day. Different things work for different people - some ideas are tuna made with a tablespoon of lowfat mayo (I'm not a big fat of lowfat everything, but the lowfat may works well), eggs, grilled salmon, hambuger (made from ground sirloin or other llean cut), turkey burger. If you really can't tolerate good quality protein, and are getting your protein from Protein drinks, you should definitely call your doctor. People who find themselves relying on liquids and soft foods don't ususally do as well because the band resticts solid foods.

I'm kinda with you. I had my second fill a week ago today and am having, for the first time ever, meat issues (I'm just so excited to be having issues of any type!!!). I can take a bite or two but it makes me uncomfortable so it's just not happening. Even deli sliced meats are an issue SOOOOoooo...I'm living off of Beans Beans beans (my poor co-workers), cheese, eggs, and a little Peanut Butter. I'm throwing in a shake a day but bleh. I'm averaging roughly 60 grams a day which is what my doc wants. I figure I'll loosen up over the next couple weeks and it won't be an issue so I can handle it right now. I don't know, long term, if I could deal with the mostly meat free diet I have going right now but temporarily I can handle it. (oh, and ham spread, ham grated or pureed with grated egg, low fat mayo and maybe a little relish)

Good luck!

have you tried meat with vegetable in Soup? it's really good and healthy....plus try some shredded meat with some tomatoe and onion in a whole wheat tortilla, it's called machaca taco. they're really good, and you can add some Beans as well.

if you need the recipe, just ask - i'll gladly give it to you.:thumbup:goodluck