Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question please

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new here. I am strongly considering lap band and am going for my 3rd consultation tomorow. I just had a question for all those experienced in this. I know my problem. I stick to a diet plan for a week, 10 days, 2 weeks and I will lose weight...but because of my emotional eating habits (which i need to learn how to control)...there will come a day that i binge. It happens over and over again and I get off track. Im wondering if the lap band will help me avoid that binge???? I think if it does just that much for me, It would be very helpful....the rest i think is up to me....what do you guys think??!!

thanx in advance.

The band will help with Portion Control. It won't help with what you choose to put in your mouth.

If on your binges you tend to graze, this could be problematic. You can eat all day long with the band if you choose to do so.

But, you have the choice to get into support groups or do couseling for the emotional eating, and use the band to help with the food plan.

Best wishes!

Hi Im BOB. Im by no means an expert on the issue, I havent had mine yet. Im being banded on March 3rd. However I have been researching for a long time on here and other sources. Everyone who goes through this has similar problems, thats why we are here, so your not alone. The same thing has happened to me in the past. The difference is, when you get off track the band wont allow you to "over do it" because it controls the volume of food you eat. And my problem has always been, I never lost fast enough to stay motivated. The band offers Portion Control but does nothing about emotional eating. I think everyone with an eating disorder has problems with emotional eating otherwise we would only eat when we where hungry. Good luck

I am about five months out and two weeks ago I was ready to give up.(I got tired of dieting, you know that phase) I ate a few things I shouldn't have.

The band let me start over and not just give up and keep eating.

I am not to restriction but the band still gives you enough of a push to keep going. I sure hope it continues because I still do that diet thing then give up. Now I might give up but in a few days get back going again.

I hope this is of some help. I am still a work in progress and don't know what I am doing all the time.

Edited by pickles123

The band will help with Portion Control. It won't help with what you choose to put in your mouth.

If on your binges you tend to graze, this could be problematic. You can eat all day long with the band if you choose to do so.

But, you have the choice to get into support groups or do couseling for the emotional eating, and use the band to help with the food plan.

Best wishes!

The LapBand is a tool. It's not a miracle cure. If you want to lose weight bad enough you will make it work. As someone stated it will help you with portion control but it won't stop you from putting things in your mouth. This is a lifestyle change. You don't have to give up living. Don't deprive yourself of the good things in life once and awhile. Or you will fail. If you feel like having a peice of cake sometime. Then do it. Just make it a small one, not an entire cake. If you want to have a cooking once and awhile or some ice cream. Then do it. Just don't eat the entire package. Food is an evil thing that YOU need to take control over. You can't let food control you. As my saying goes, "Life is a highway, and I'm riding it MY way." Everyone is going to mess up once and awhile. Just get back on the path and try again. We can't all worry about the "What if's" in life. We just have to be ready when things hit us. Before you binge, ask yourself how far back will this set you if you were to eat it? Or even make a Pro's and Con's list and put it on your fridge. Write down the food. The pro's of having this food. And the con's of having this food. Before you binge, wait 30 seconds before you eat and then see what happens. If you still feel after 30 seconds you need to eat, then by all means go ahead but just a bite.

wow...thank you all so much for the responses...it feels great to know that i am not alone in this...and yes you are right...it is a lifestyle change...well it seems i am scheduled for this friday...:tongue_smilie:....i hope i can make it happen!

thanx!

Hi! I'm Judy I'm at the same place as you ready for by pre-op and was wondering how the surgery will improve the binging part, please advise if someone can help you!! I want to know what to expect after surgery??

Hi! I'm Judy I'm at the same place as you ready for by pre-op and was wondering how the surgery will improve the binging part, please advise if someone can help you!! I want to know what to expect after surgery??

You can still bing, but the band will prevent you from overeating. You won't be able to get as much in as you normally do. With the swelling at first you probably won't want to eat much at all. As the swelling goes down you will become hungry. DON'T OVER EAT. Until you are filled for the first time, you are pretty much on will power (otherwise known as Banders Hell). But don't get discouraged if you don't lose anything at first because for the first month it's all about healing. Make sure you follow the plan that the doctor gives to you. Make sure you weigh your food. And make sure that you drink your fluids. Some people do get fills when they have their surgery. It all depends on your surgeon. Drink your Protein supplements. When you move up to puree make sure you pick foods that are higher in protein (fish and chicken). Always eat your protein first.

Thanks much for the info!!