Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all!!!

I was banded in November 2008, down 113 pounds, and loving my BAND. It was, by far, the best decision I have ever made. I am at full restriction and tight in the mornings due to sinus drainage. NOW, I am suffering from a sinus infection and can not hardly keep ANYTHING down. Does anyone know how long a sinus infection can last? Or any suggestions on how to get the sinus drainage moving? I am about ready to chew off my arm!!!!

All I know is if you get on antibiotics you will get rid of it a lot faster. hope you feel better soon

I take liquid dimetapp for kids in purple bottle that seems to help. I am only one week post op and drainage makes me nauseated. This seems to work for me. 1 tablespoon seems to keep in check

I have just been diagnosed with a sinus inf. My Dr. prescribed me a liquid anitbiotic as well as a steroid dose pack (pills are very small). 3 days later I'm better. I also take liquid children's Motrin. I take Zyrtec whenever I feel drainage--hope you feel better soon!

I used to suffer from sinus and upper respiratory problems *constantly*, as did my youngest son. Then, about 15 years ago, I discovered that eucalyptus essential oil kills airborn bacteria. So I bought one of those little potpourri crocks...looks like a crockpot but only holds about 1 cup of Water. I put half a cup of Water in it and about 10 drops of eucalyptus oil and the water warms up just enough to give off the aroma but not enough to burn off the oil quickly.

I also put some straight oil into a mister bottle (you can get them in the hair care aisle at the supermarket) and when I change the bedsheets, I mist the mattress pad and the pillows. I do this in the morning so by night it just smells fresh. The purpose is to kill dust mites (yep it does that too) but the bonus is that the smell will go through the whole house and kill airborne bacteria. I'll put about 1 Tbs in the rinse water when I wash the sheets to do the same thing (kill dust mites).

I can't remember the last time anyone in our home had a sinus or respiratory problem. Oh, and my son and I are both asthmatics and don't have a problem with the aroma from the oil.

Since you already have a sinus infection, you might try putting a few drops of the oil in a bowl of warm water (warm enough to give off steam (but don't boil the water!), put a towel over your head and the bowl and breathe in the vapors through your nose...assuming you can.

Most places charge an arm and a leg for this stuff, but you can get a 16 oz bottle at Rainbowmeadow.com for about $14. Last time I priced this at a health food store, they wanted $8 for a little 1/2 oz bottle.

How miserable! Sinus drainage made me so sick preop that I hate to contemplate how it will affect me postop!

In the past, the things that have helped me the most, in terms of mobilizing and loosening secretions have been Mucinex (not Mucinex D, just plain), TONS of Fluid, a good decongestant, and saline nasal spray. (I know many swear by neti pots, but just read a report that suggested they remove too many flora and ultimately may reduce resistance to infection, so I stick with use of saline and only while infected.)

That, and antibiotics, of course! Did your doctor prescribe a decongestant along with your antibiotic? If not, you can get one OTC---but ask the pharmacist (or your doc) which s/he'd recommend. Some contain antihistamines, as well---which can gunk things up a little.