Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking Alcohol Question

I like to have a cocktail as much as the next person, but aren't us bandsters supposed to not drink for a length of time before we eat? If we are having wine with dinner, it lowers the effectiveness of the band. We aren't supposed to be drinking anything while we eat... Having drinks with friends an hour before dinner sounds pretty good, though:thumbup:

I have my wine way before dinner. I wait 30 min. before I eat.

Wow - I was told by my surgeon that I can not drink for 6 months!! He said an occassional glas of wine, but didn't recommend it. Which is fine, because I don't like wine. It's going to be a LONG summer!! :tongue_smilie:

Re: the not drinking before eating rule: this is another one where different doctors have different guidelines. Mine says we can drink right up until the first bite of food goes into our mouths. The rationale is that the liquid will move out of the pouch rapidly. If you don't continue to drink with the meal, it won't be "flushed" from the pouch by the liquid you had pre-meal.

OTOH, his POST-meal waiting period is longer than most--90 minutes.

My point is, I think there is some flexibility to these "requirements," just as there is a great deal of variance among eating plans.

I personally choose not to drink alcohol at this point; I have little tolerance, and it totally disinhibits me vis-a-vis making good food choices. It's not a wise thing for ME to do---and besides, I'm early enough postop that it would likely be irritating to my pouch.

But I like the advice (Jim's?) that is more matter-of fact: the best thing? not to drink. The realistic thing? If you're going to, make sure you include the alcohol in your plan, so that you are aware of its nutritional impact.

None of us got fat from a Saturday night martini. If you know you're taking in those calories, and it doesn't cause you any kind of band-related distress (I'm thinking beer would literally cause my pouch to EXPLODE!), live your life the way that works best for you.

My surgeon ran the support group last night. Alcohol was one of the topics included. He says an occasional drink, as Besty stated, is okay...even beer. I thought beer and soda were completely out of the question. He says that the bubbles will not stretch your pouch. He says that what often does happen is it goes through the "funnel" and settles in the lower stomach and can cause cramping. But that the stretching thing is a myth.