Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking Alcohol Question

Ok so i will be 4 weeks post op on Tues i had my surgery jan 26. Tomorrow I am going out with my hubby and friends for dinner and drinks. Is it too soon to have 1 alcohol beverage? What is safe to have?

I drink a glass of wine now and then. The first time out was around the four week mark.

I was 4 weeks out last week and had a small glass of red wine. It didn't bother me at all and it didn't get me drunk either. Bummer :sad:

I'm glad to see this thread. I'm 3 1/2 weeks out and going to dinner today. I'm not a big drinker but I like Cosmos, Long Island's or Mai Tai's and the like. Are these ok? I used to have 2 drinks with dinner so I may limit myself to one. I so want to go to out and feel normal.

Not that I recommend this but...I had a alcoholic drink 4 days post op :thumbup:

I am slowly losing and I know it would come off faster if I gave up alcohol but I enjoy a glass or 3 on the weekends. When you are single and your social activities revolve around dinner w/ friends it is hard to stay on track. (probably one of the reason I am obese...now, I can eat a reasonable sized portion when dinning out instead of cleanning my plate...thank you band)

Thank you all for your replies. I'm with you Dawn I just want to feel normal again too. I like dirty martini's myself. Not sure if that is safe. i guess i'll know tonight.

Have fun and enjoy yourself. If we can't do that then what is the point of living! Your band is a tool to be INCLUDED in your normal life (with less food :thumbup:).

Ok here was my experience today. I ordered a Bahama Mama. I drank about 1/4 of it before our food arrived and during the meal. I drank the rest after I ate my correct portion. No effect from the alcohol and still feel full 3 hours later. Which is how it should be so it was fine.

Next time I may try 2 drinks...:thumbup:

Glad you had fun! Just be weary that alcohol is empty calories...Best wishes!!!

Look, booze is a slider food. You will feel it more because you are eating less. Your band has no booze filter. Drink, and you wiil have 70 calories more per ounce. It is that simple. I enjoy my gin martini's often and have lost 66 lbs in 4 month. (i also eat steak). ENJOY LIFE. Work hard, and lose but stop worrying about enjoying life.

BTW, have a drink or two, find your S/O and work it off in the bedroom.....

TJ

This subject comes up here quite often. It came up a few weeks ago. I responded, and most people did not like what I had to say, which, of course, makes no difference to me.

But, I would enourage you to reconsider your consumption of alchohol while you are trying to lose the weight.

Here is the previous thread....you can draw your own conclusions, but I can guarantee you that most Doctors will tell you that it is a BETTER idea NOT to drink while you are working with the band.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f178/almost-4-weeks-since-surgery-can-i-have-freakin-drink-108814/

But I’ll just finish with this, and you can do what you want with the information (you’ll probably drink it…lol)

"Sure, you can drink. Sure you can have that piece of pizza, that slice of cake.

But will that move you ANY closer to your goal? Nope. Will it keep you away from your goal? A little, tiny bit, yes."

The quote above is true. Thanks Spartan. But....

Life is life. You make choices. I choose to drink once and a while, and exercise my A__ off. I plan to lose another 80 lbs. And I expect to do it in the next 6 months, even with a martini, or Johnny Walker Black on the rocks. I obey the band rules well... I Protein up, and eat slow. Maybe booze it a vice, but it is not my crutch... I don't drink every day, or even every week.... but I do drink.

Advice: Don't drink.

Reality: If you do, factor it into your plan

TJ

Listen. This is a lifestyle change. No one said you have to give up living. Once and awhile a drink is good. I enjoy a glass of red wine, maybe once a week. I won't drink the mixed drinks because they do have alot of empty calories in them.

If we deprive ourselves of rewards once and awhile, we will fail. That's why all of those diets failed for us. EVERYTHING IN MODERATION. I also enjoy a peice of pizza once and awhile. I am 4 months post op and I have lost 67lbs. My point? Be careful but enjoy the finer things in life once and awhile. We have all worked hard to get where we are today. We deserve it once and awhile.:thumbup:

For as often as I drink, calories aren't going to matter LOL We go out about once a month and I don't drink at home.

To each his own. If it's not harmful and you'd like to have one every now and then - do it. If it doesn't suit you to drink - don't. I will encourage anyone with either choice. We'll learn about our tool together and individually choose what's best.

My biggest issue yesterday was I overate some at dinner...that was worse than worrying about the drinks. Stupid me. It was just so nice to have real food after a month of shakes and pudding. I paid for it (pressure) and will move on from here. My doc warned me this may happen and a fill will be in order on my next visit.

I like to have a cocktail as much as the next person, but aren't us bandsters supposed to not drink for a length of time before we eat? If we are having wine with dinner, it lowers the effectiveness of the band. We aren't supposed to be drinking anything while we eat... Having drinks with friends an hour before dinner sounds pretty good, though:thumbup: