Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everybody. My name is Jessica, I'm 23 years old and lately I've been doing a lot of thinking about LAP-BAND® surgery.

Right now I'm in a constant push-pull struggle when it comes to my weight. I'm at my heaviest: 270 pounds (5'4"). I've tried dieting on my own and I've tried Weight Watchers. The most weight I've ever lost was 35lbs, then gained it all back with an extra 40 to find myself where I am now. I just joined WW again but I get so frustrated and discouraged because I know how hard it is to lose any weight, but how hard will it be to KEEP it off?? I don't think I can. My body is just too used to being this size.

My sister had gastric bypass two years ago and I've seen her go from a size 30 to a size 14 and, in typical sibling rivalry, I'm jealous. I can't stand to go shopping with her because she gets excited about everything she tries on, where I hate the way anything I try on looks, kwim? I've seen the pros of her weight loss surgery and I've also seen the cons. I wouldn't consider GB but LAP-BAND® calls to me because I read that it's such a minimally invasive surgery with so little recovery time. One thing that really weirds me out, though, is the foreign object in my body. I also worry because I might be looking at a move to Phoenix in the semi-near future and I don't know if I did decide to pursue surgery, if I would get it before the move and how would I do follow-up treatment after the move? Another part is that it's very hard for me to come to terms with the fact that surgery is actually an option. Like I said, I've always been obese, but I never really acknowledged it -- now here I am, 270 lbs, and that's nothing to joke about.

If any of that makes sense, lol -- it's late, I'm tired and my brain is fried from doing so much lurking around the boards.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello :( And apologize in advance for any questions I may ask that I'm sure have been asked a million times over.

Hi everybody. My name is Jessica, I'm 23 years old and lately I've been doing a lot of thinking about LAP-BAND®® surgery.

Right now I'm in a constant push-pull struggle when it comes to my weight. I'm at my heaviest: 270 pounds (5'4"). I've tried dieting on my own and I've tried Weight Watchers. The most weight I've ever lost was 35lbs, then gained it all back with an extra 40 to find myself where I am now. I just joined WW again but I get so frustrated and discouraged because I know how hard it is to lose any weight, but how hard will it be to KEEP it off?? I don't think I can. My body is just too used to being this size.

My sister had gastric bypass two years ago and I've seen her go from a size 30 to a size 14 and, in typical sibling rivalry, I'm jealous. I can't stand to go shopping with her because she gets excited about everything she tries on, where I hate the way anything I try on looks, kwim? I've seen the pros of her weight loss surgery and I've also seen the cons. I wouldn't consider GB but LAP-BAND®® calls to me because I read that it's such a minimally invasive surgery with so little recovery time. One thing that really weirds me out, though, is the foreign object in my body. I also worry because I might be looking at a move to Phoenix in the semi-near future and I don't know if I did decide to pursue surgery, if I would get it before the move and how would I do follow-up treatment after the move? Another part is that it's very hard for me to come to terms with the fact that surgery is actually an option. Like I said, I've always been obese, but I never really acknowledged it -- now here I am, 270 lbs, and that's nothing to joke about.

If any of that makes sense, lol -- it's late, I'm tired and my brain is fried from doing so much lurking around the boards.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello :( And apologize in advance for any questions I may ask that I'm sure have been asked a million times over.

Hello- you just justified my surgery to me- I am 20, 5'8 and 225 and getting surgery soon... Im a little nervous, but I think its the right move bec Im so fed up with diets and want to be a normal healthy weight- sick of struggling and yo yo ing... I am also flying in from overseas to do this- so Im sure you can figure it out with your move...

Good Luck!!!

Hi, Jessica!! One of the things I liked the best about lap band surgery are that the statistics are so much in our favor for keeping off the weight! I've been banded for about 16 months and am just over 3 pounds from my goal. It's been a great ride, and I am really glad that I decided to get the band. I can't imagine having come this far without it.

I've been keeping a blog since right before my surgery. Link is below -- feel free to check it out. I have links to a few other really good blogs in there as well. For me, that was one of the best ways to research what it would be like, and I found reading other people's blogs really helpful.

Good luck with your decision! :(

Catherine

Im having mine done on

March 3rd and Im very nervous, to the point Im waking up at night thinking about it(everything seems magnified 10-fold) when I wake up in the middle of the night). That being said only you know whats right for you. Your still young, I believe you said 23. You have alot of time to research and think about it. To me it sounds like you have given up on losing on your own like the rest of us. Im 38 and I wish they had this procedure when I was 23. I dont feel qualified to give you advice, I havent had mine done yet so I have no idea what to expect myself. But I say if you feel you have exhausted all other means then have it done and enjoy your life,be happy like your sister. Also be happy for your sister for making a HUGE decision and being successful and happy herself. Most people on here say their only regret is they havent done it sooner! Take my advice for what its worth. Good luck on your decision.

Catherine is right. Catherine, Ive read your blog and it has really helped me understand what to expect. When im having doubts about this(especially since its coming so fast,March 3rd) I like to come here to read about how successful people have been. This reassures me that Im making the right decision. Thanks to Catherine and everyone else on here for giving your perspectives on this procedure every step of the way.

Im sorry, I keep thinking of new things to say. Your blog (Catherine)has really helped me realize I will still be able to socialize(not deprive myself of foods i like and social drinking once in a while). I get all caught up and worried about how Im going to have to cut my food small, chew alot, which is not what Im used to. After reading your blog it helped me realize that even though alot of change is required to be successful, there is still alot on normalcy in your life. I think this is what alot of people wonder about when considering something like this. Thanks again.

Thank you so much, Bob! It was so nice to read your posts and hear that you found my blog helpful! :confused: I really appreciate your nice feedback.

Living with the band really is a lot easier than I thought it would be. It's not that hard to order foods that work well with it when I go out, and I'm used to chewing my food and not taking huge bites now, so it's pretty much second nature. I haven't given up anything that I miss, and I feel good about my weight for the first time in my life.

BTW, how funny -- the site popped the ® symbol into my earlier post because I wrote Lap Band in it! I was wondering why so many people went to the trouble of putting that in their posts . . and now I find out it's automatic! LOL

Catherine