Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!!! with Preop Magnesium Citrate

I had to take the Magnesium Citrate today and I took it at 2pm PST and it's now 7:30pm and still nothing! am I broken? is that good? bad? any advice

I had to take the Magnesium Citrate today and I took it at 2pm PST and it's now 7:30pm and still nothing! am I broken? is that good? bad? any advice

Whatever you do, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR HOUSE! When it starts working you MUST be near your bathroom. It should work and probably soon. Is your surgery tomorrow?

My surgery is Wednesday, but I was told to do the Magnesium today and liquids tomorrow...I was told at the dr's office it would take about 15 min to work...it's been 5 hours...I am prepared to be home and not go anywhere. I have told the kids to leave one restroom cleared too...lol

My surgery is Wednesday, but I was told to do the Magnesium today and liquids tomorrow...I was told at the dr's office it would take about 15 min to work...it's been 5 hours...I am prepared to be home and not go anywhere. I have told the kids to leave one restroom cleared too...lol

Ok, it does usually work pretty quick for most people, but give it until the morning. If it doesnt' work by then, I would call the surgeon's office and ask for advice. Oh, btw, did you drink the whole bottle?

Yes, the whole bottle! I think I will do that...if it doesn't work I will call in the morning!...Thanks!:)

Mine started working 6 hours later. I took it at 8 p.m and that was a mistake because I woke up 2 a.m. and every hour after that! My surgery was at 8 a.m. and I was afraid I was going to mess the surgery table! Luckily everything went well and I didn't make a mess. I'll never drink that stuff again! :)

I'm glad you posted this. I am having the same thing. It's been 3 hrs since I drank the bottle & nothing. I was beginning to get worried too. It looks like at least you and another person has had this issue & it eventually works. My doctor had me eat non fat light breakfast, Soup for lunch....so I'm guessing that may be part of it too.

I was told to use Milk of Mag + an enema the night before surgery. For whatever reason the Sat prior to my surgery(Tues) I decided to "test drive" the MOM. Good thing I did. I took it at Noon and it kicked in 4 hours later...and I was up til 2am going and going...

It gave me a bench mark so that the day before surgery I was able to time the MOM and the pre-op enema(yuck) with my mandatory night before surgery anti-bacterial shower. I was clean as a whistle before bed but after we got to the hospital I had to bolt for the bathroom in my gown!

It did take a good week post-surgery to get back to being regular again.

I think it may depend on if you are normally constipated or not (how long it takes to work). Sorry TMI coming... I've always been one to be on the loose side and go 3+ times a day. I am NEVER constipated. If anything, I have the reverse problem of having to go too much. I was scared to death to take the magnesium citrate knowing how my system already is. And, sure enough, it gave me horrible horrible diarrhea starting 15 minutes after taking it and for the rest of the day and night. I was seriously dehydrated by the time I checked into the hospital. My BP was super low and I sucked up an IV bag in record time as soon as they hooked me up. I continued to have diarrhea for the entire next week after surgery. Gosh, I hate that magnesium citrate stuff. Vile vile liquid!

Anyway, your plan to call the doctor in the morning if it doesn't work by then is a good one. I can't imagine it not working, though, unless you got a bad batch.

Oh, one thing you might try is drinking lots of Water. The way I understand it, magnesium citrate works by sucking Water out of your system and forcing it into your bowels. So, if you are dehydrated, maybe you don't have enough water in your system to force into your bowels? Just an idea.