Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Diet-help!!!

You are the first post that mentions the gall bladder. Some of the sites I have researched say that the gall bladder may be removed at the time of the surgery to prevent future complications. Is this common? My doctor has not mentioned ANY pre-surgery diet. With Thanksgiving three days before I fly out, I am a little nervous!

KAT72,

I am scheduled November 22nd and have 14 days of Protein liquids to be on. I did purchase the medifast 14 day plan in hopes of this making it easier for me not to have to be in the kitchen as much.

I have been trying so hard to loose weight before hand, but a person would think I'm having my "last dinner" ever!

I started out the week this week thinking I would try the liquid thing 3 weeks to try to loose more weight than just 2 weeks on the Liquid Protein diet thing. Well.......

needless to say that lasted 2 days. 2 days better than none I guess. At least I'm not eating everything in sight anymore.

So....my liquid thing starts for me on November 7th and I HAVE to follow it because I have come to far not to have surgery because I havn't followed Dr.'s orders.

I wish you the best and hope all goes well with your protein liquid thing also!

Michelle

The teeth brushing is a stoke of pure genius. I feel the same way and I never thought about it before. Thanks for the idea!

Well i actually had THANKSGIVING dinner today with my family (my mom neice and nephew) before i have to go on liquids...crazy huh?

My wife's first weight loss doc insisted that everyone lose forty pounds BEFORE he would do surgery on them.

My wife, as she left for another doc, said "Hell, Doc, if it were that easy, I'd never have to come here!"

Some docs just don't get it. But we must play by their rules to get it. Sheeesh.

I have come to the conclusion that my surgeon is a very smart man. He knows some of us can't diet, so he does'nt even bother to request it. I had plenty of last suppers, before I was banded and everything went fine.

Mmmmmmm! Day 3 for me, yep! Just finished my Protein broth! Mmmmmmm...YUK!

11 days to go, til I am banded.

Then, how many weeks do I have liquids again?

Schel from MN

My doctor advised an Atkins type diet for 2 weeks pre-surgery. Which I tried to follow (I don't eat meat so it was a bit of a stretch), and for the most part sucessful. After the surgery the doctor commented on the size of my liver, and said that I had done an excellent job.

So . . . I'd stay away from the carbs if you are going to cheat.

If you watch any of the surgery videos you can see why liver size is important during the operation.

After my surgery, I was given 4 color pictures of my band...complete with a color picture of my liver. My doctor told me he could tell by my liver's appearance that I had dont a good job in following the pre-op diet he recommended...I guess you can consider that your report card.

It is tough, but you are worth it, and you will be fine. Good luck, Cindy

Thanx so much for all of the ideas and encouragement. I had surgery Mon., and everything went well. As far as watching the videos, I could not do it. I think I would have chickened out if I had seen the surgery before hand.:)

Guess I'm lucky I did not have to do any liquids before surgery and right after surgery I was able to eat sorbet, Jello pudding, mashed potatoes(watery) cream of wheat(watery). These were the dr's insturctions. All I can say is that my liquid diet hasnt been that bad. Good luck to you!

That's awesome! I did my preop today and everythings great and ready to go. I think...NO thanks to you guys I KNOW that I can and WILL do my liquid diet.< /p>

depending on your doc--if you call them--they can tell you what you can supplement with if you just can't make it liquids--I was on it for 12 days (supposed to be 14 but I had some kind of mental block or something that the instant I told myself 'not allowed' I ate every carb in sight) I called my facilitator and got a handle on it by eating some high Protein chicken if I just couldn't handle liquids--or a chunk of cheddar cheese--other than that--I stuck with the Atkins shakes (ewww) and all the no calorie drinks I could handle. best wishes

shrina

7/12/05 Dr. Kuri

272/230/125-150

I'm on day 3 of my liquid diet, and I swear day 2 was the hardest. I don't agree that the cravings are "in your head", your body is physically withdrawing from simple sugars, carbs, etc.

To help me thru the cravings and physical symptoms such as dizziness, headaches, mood swings, (I actually cried b/c my husband was late picking me up and I hadn't eaten since 1:00 pm..lol), etc; I chewed gum, walked for fresh air, and found ways to occupy my time. It helped tremendously.

Edited by SashaVaughn