Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal????

I was banded on Thursday and I still feel really bad. I have no energy. I feel very full after just a little bit of Water or tea. I can't even imagine having Jello, oatmeal, applesauce, etc.... I am not even able to finish a whole popsicle. I had half a popsicle yesterday and felt very full. Will this go away? Why am I feeling this way? I am worried that I will never be able to get my daily water intake, and even less eat any normal food. I am so worried that I might have made the wrong choice by getting this band

You feel this way because you JUST had surgery. Its takes a week or 2 for the anaethesia hangover to go away..plus any pain meds you might be taking and even if none, just the antibiotics can have side effects. Your coming out from under a major cocktail..full of gas, swelling and probably having a deficit of sugar/salt/vitamins, etc.

I PROMISE..it will pass and the way you feel 1 week from today will be very different. Not perfect..but different.

Its normal in the first month or so to second guess.

Wait until you feel great again and realize you have no restriction and can eat anything you want! then you will REALLY second guess the process!!!!..but then its fill time. :angry:

Its not just a tool..its a process. I'm almost a year in and loving it.

I was banded on Thursday and I still feel really bad. I have no energy. I feel very full after just a little bit of Water or tea. I can't even imagine having Jello, oatmeal, applesauce, etc.... I am not even able to finish a whole popsicle. I had half a popsicle yesterday and felt very full. Will this go away? Why am I feeling this way? I am worried that I will never be able to get my daily Water intake, and even less eat any normal food. I am so worried that I might have made the wrong choice by getting this band

I, too, was very swollen after surgery (had a hernia repair too) and couldn't keep anything down. They had to remove all the Fluid from my band and that did the trick. You need to stay hydrated. Without hydration you will feel terrible. Maybe you should call your doctor. And you did the right thing. Your just having trouble right now and this too shall pass. Hang in there. I hope you feel better real soon....

Hi huni - I am 4 weeks post surgery and feeling incredible, I had alot of gas pain and bruising which took a little over 2 weeks to go. I'm now a completely different woman and can hardly believe I had surgery with so much after pain that I have to check my stitches to prove I had surgery at all. It gets better and you won't believe how quickly. Just get over this 1st hurdle babes, it's very early days for you xXx

Bell, I promise with time it will get better! I'm about 1 week ahead of you. Just try to get as much Water in as you can, we don't want you getting dehydrated! :)

I was banded on Feb. 10, 2010...so I'm not far ahead of you. I can tell you that you just described me to a tee. NO energy - not able have anything but 3 or 4 sips of Water throughout the entire DAY. I don't know how some of these people say that they feel great and are going back to work!! I can't imagine! I homeschool our son, and I'm tired after the first hour. It's crazy. I'm shaky, gassy, and I get the hiccups (painful!!) if I try to take more than my usual 3 or 4 sips of water in a few hours. I haven't started questioning the band yet - but only because I've already lost 28 lbs. Hang in there and let me know if you need a buddy! :)

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Thank you Amy I am glad to find someone that feels the same way I do. How have you lost 28 lbs. already? Were you on a liquid diet before surgery. I have lost 7 lbs. in 4 days. I did not have to do a pre-op liquid diet. It will be nice to keep in touch with all the Feb. bandsters.

I was banded on Thursday and I still feel really bad. I have no energy. I feel very full after just a little bit of Water or tea. I can't even imagine having Jello, oatmeal, applesauce, etc.... I am not even able to finish a whole popsicle. I had half a popsicle yesterday and felt very full. Will this go away? Why am I feeling this way? I am worried that I will never be able to get my daily Water intake, and even less eat any normal food. I am so worried that I might have made the wrong choice by getting this band

1 of 2 things probably going on...either your band was installed prefilled, which some doctors do, or your stomach is sensitive to being messed with (mine is). Either would explain you having restriction from drinking water. I never experienced true "bandster hell" because I had restriction just from having the band placed. I have only had 2 small fills in 19 months and I get tight when I am stressed. Whichever is going on, just make sure you are consistently sipping water. You must get the water in. When are you supposed to start Protein Shakes? If you aren't able to get in enough, you may want to try New Whey Protein bullets (42g). They were considered a clear liquid by my doc and have a lot of Protein in only 3 1/2 oz. Because they are so small you can get the whole thing down in less than 5-6 sips. The taste isn't the best in the world, but since it is a small amount, it is doable.

Yep - I was on liquids for 2 weeks prior to surgery. Not fun! But it at least prepared me for after surgery. They told me to expect to gain about 5 lbs in the 4th or 5th week post op- about the time that I can start having mushies. For now, I'm just really thirsty. My mouth feels like the Sahara - and if the hiccups don't slip my band, I'll be lucky. Today is not a good day - my stomach is sore from hiccuping last night - I didn't sleep well at all. I tried to add you to my friend list, but it wouldn't let me. You can certainly email me if you need to vent. :)amy0776@aol.com Good Luck! :biggrin: Hope you feel better soon!!

i was banded 2/3/ 10 . i could drink Water but i felt awful for a week , then i started comming around. today was my first day to go to the gym after 15 min i crawled to my car . baby steps

It was normal for me. I was banded on 01/27/10. Did your doctors give you post-op instructions? I was instructed to drink 1-2oz of Clear liquids every 15 minutes for the first 4 days post op.

Day 5-14 liquid diet (work your way up to 64oz Water and pre-op liquid diet - 1000 cal, 60-80g Protein including 3 popsicles/ fudgesicles, 3 cups milk or 3 servings yogurt/pudding, 2 cups "low sugar" juice like apple or orange).

Day 15-30 pureed food (you should be able to "eat" about a cup of "food" in one sitting and get all Water intake by this time).

Day 31-44 Smooth Foods including eggs. You should be working up to 1200 calories/day (3 300 calorie meals and 2 150 calorie snacks) by this point.

Day 45+ Solid Foods. Keep track of what your body cannot tolerate.

I hope this helps.

Edited by RinaMae14

hi, yes it's normal and you will be able to feel normal again....just give it time.....usually everything's back to normal after the 5th week. take care.