Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded and Hiatal Hernia Repair 2/11/10

I had lab band surgery on 2/11/10, I feel really bad, I can' hold down any liquid everytime I drink Water or tea, a big gulp of foam comes back up. I spoke to my surgeon twice and he says if I still can't keep anything down by tomorrow then I will have to go back to the hospital to have an IV and an uppr GI done. I really did not think this was going to be so bad, if I knew it was going to be this bad I would not have had the surgery, THIS IS HELL!!!!!!!! I wish I could just keep some water down.

i am suprised they let you out of the hospital not able to keep liquid down, mine kept me and extra 3 hours because i was vomiting every time i sipped my water...

make sure to take your Water very slow, you might want to try some apple juice i know for as long as i can remember when my stomache was upset water was a big mistake. Try some sugar free hot cocoa too, the warmth will help the swelling go down.

dehydration can come on fast - if its really been since the 11th that have not been able to keep liquid down i would head to the we for iv treatment sooner than tomorrow sometime...

I too also had my band and hernia repair on 2/11/10. I was only nausea the first day. I was only able to have about 4 oz of broth total for the day. The second was a little better. I am still having alot of pain in my upper chest and shoulder. Im guessing that is from the air that is pumped in you. The dr told me to get up and walk 5 minutes every hour to help with the nausea and also help with the gas. It has worked for the nausea but not the gas. I constantly feel as though i need to burp and just cant to it.

They let me out of the hospital because I was drinking Water and crystal light fine the day of surgery and the morning after, but last night everything I would sip would come back up with a lot of foam and spit. I know this sounds gross, I am sorry. The bloating has gone down a lot, and I don't feel so gasy, , but I just wish I could drink something and keep it down. The doctor says it might be the swelling that might be preventing me from keeping liquids down. I also don't have a problem burping. Thanks for the replies.

have you tried any warm liquids? that should help with the swelling

I was banded and had hiatal hernia repair on 2/9/10. Things got a little rough on day 3, of course they say the third day is always the worst. I have 7 incisions that just wont seem to heal. They look really red, and angry. I can keep my liquids down, and eat popsicles like crazy. Day 3 started the gas. Oh my goodness was it bad. I tried walking, baby gas drops, gas x strips...nothing worked. I tried maalox and that seemed to help a tad bit. Today its not AS bad but its still on my right side and hurts to take a deep breath or yawn. I even tried a little mashed potatos today and they seem to be staying down fine. Im so ready to graduate to mushy food!!