Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated and Angry!

I met with my Surgeon On February 3, everything was on track to get insurance approval, I got my psych eval done, got the letter from my GP faxed in, and the Bariatic Center won't accept my Psych Eval without a MMPI included.

It's gonna cost me $800.00 fior this test when I already have a Psych eval that clears me. I don't have $800.00 so it's going to be a few months or longer before I can get it done. That means I won't be getting my insurance approval for that much longer.

I'm really feeling like every time I look up there is a stumbling block with this surgery. First thing was the $600 program fee. They said I can make payments with that but I still have to have it paid before my Surgery.

Now Something else. Maybe I'm not supposed to do this at all. :smile:

Edited by stl2atl07

Sorry you are frustrated but I had to pay 12K so at least you have insurance approval.

I'm sorry you're so frustrated. I totally understand---and it stinks.

You say you already have a psych eval that clears you---but you don't. You have part of the required psych exam. You're not cleared just because a psych says you are; they need specific items in order to make the clearance valid.

I would be inclined to take it up with the psych; if unfamiliar with the requirements for clearance, s/he should have spoken with your surgical group and/or insurance carrier to find out what was required. And then, it should have been done. Personally, I'd insist that s/he COMPLETE the exam you already paid for!

ETA: Did your surgeon let you know, from the outset, that there was a program fee that wasn't covered by insurance? Mine did--at the very first seminar. From the very outset, I knew I'd have to pay $300 before my preop nutrition class. It was not unexpected---but when it came time to pay it, it still kind of caught me off-guard. It's not the surgeon's office's fault---it's just the nature of overloaded minds. we simply can't absorb everything! My mind happened to prefer to focus on the things I needed to do to be successful with my band. My doctor's office, though, kind of wanted their money LOL

I don't think these are omens that you shouldn't have the surgery. I do think you need to remain aware that the aftercare does involve out-of-pocket costs you may not have considered; if you're concerned, it'd be a good idea to talk with your surgeon's financial person to find out if there are other things you aren't yet expecting that might come as a surprise.

Edited by BetsyB

Don't hesitate to change surgeons. I did and others on here did also. Remember you have to deal with them a lot after surgery (for fills etc) and if they aren't good now they sure aren't going to be better after surgery.

Karen, You should feel blessed you have that kind of funds instead of snapping at me because Im frustrated with my insurance. If I had money I would happily pay for this, no problem.

Betty, Thank you for the thoughtful insight. I'm not unhappy with the results of the first Psych Evaluation. I was given what I expected to get.

Yes, They did tell me at the Seminar about the Program Fee. At that time I had spoken to the Center several times. I had asked many questions regarding my insurance and what was required. No one told me about a Program Fee. So when I went to the Seminar, 3 months later It was like a slap in the face. I thought I had researched everything.

I have asked about my insurance covering the fills, and the fluroscopy they require for their fills. No problem there. I even asked about my Insurance covering if my Band slips or erodes. They will even replace it.

They just won't pay for Psychologic visits, nor testing. I guess I should really count my blessings. It was just tough to swallow, I thought I was just a few weeks away from getting my Date. Now, it may be next Fall.

Pickles, I've already changed Surgeons once. I really feel as this is the Best Center for me. They are a little stricter in their policy but I don't think striving for the best is a bad thing. Thanks for the Support.

Edited by stl2atl07

Does your surgeon deal with only a specific psych professional? My MMPI-2 was included in the cost of my visits. And my total for the 3 visits was only around $400. My insurance didn't pay for any of the visits either.

Is it possible to price shop for a cheaper visit since you only have to take the MMPI-2? I hope you can find somewhere cheaper so you can move forward with your journey!

Good luck!

I totally understand your frustration--and I, too, would be very upset.

It's good that you got what you expected from the psych consult, but really---the psych should have confirmed that s/he was providing what was required for clearance.

Do you think s/he would be willing to work with you, since there clearly was a misunderstanding? You went to see him/her, expecting that all that was needed would be done. It wasn't. $800 for an MMPI is a LOT!

I know the hoop-jumping is frustrating. But I agree with you that it's better to be with surgeons who are really thorough---even if the process is a bit prolonged---than to face the alternative.

I hope you find a really good solution, FAST. Once you're banded, you will know how totally worth it this process has been. But when you're in the midst of it, it feels awful!