Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

REALIZE Band port site pain

Hi! I am post op day 9 from having the Realize band and still have soo much pain at the port site! The surgeon told me at my post op check up that the port is secured using 4 metal hooks and eventually scar tissue will form and I won't have this pain. Is this normal? Has anyone else had this experience and if so, how long until the pain went away?

I have the realize band and my port was painful for at least three months expecially when I would bend over to tie my left shoe... I can tell you it went away. My husband has the lap band, surgery same day, and he never had port pain nor did my son who also had the lap band. So I am convinced it was the realize brand that caused the pain.

But no pain at all anymore so hang in there and just try to bend to the opposite side your port is on.

I have a realize band and felt no pain--I didn't even take any pain killers after surgery.The amount of pain you mention seems severe. I know there is a realize band web site that we can join--you might go there. Your physician should have given you a code to access the site.

I have a Realize band and had port soreness for about 2 months. I never took pain meds after surgery though but my doc did mention on my 2 week visit that it was inflamed, most likely because I was doing more lifting, stretching, bending, etc. on the job than I probably should've been. However, they were quick to remind me that it takes about 8 weeks for the port site to completely heal...and they were right.

The amount of pain you have may be due to your own pain threshold levels and it may be that what is soreness to me would be pain to you.

As long as your doctor has checked it and it's not infected, just give it time. Perhaps a warm compression might help (that's what they told me to do for the inflammation).

I have the Realize band also - I had pain for about two months in my port area - however it lessened as the weeks went on. I dont know if you had one incision surgery, or multiple incisions, but also remember that just nine days out, you have so much healing going on in there.

Hang in there - it does get better!

You're only 9 days out so I think its perfectly normal. I have the Lapband brand, but mine was pretty sore for about 3 weeks. I actually expected it to be sore longer than that because I've read on here that some people are sore in the port area for a few months. In any case, I think its premature to worry about it. Did you have a 1 week post-op checkup? If not, you could make an appointment just to put your mind at ease.

I had port sight pain for about 2 weeks. Hang in there!

.The amount of pain you mention seems severe
It's actually more typical than not for there to be port site pain.

I'm about 4 weeks out, and the tugging/cramping pain has pretty much abated. I still get a twinge every now and then, but by and large, it's resolving.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing. I am 10 days post-op and I have pain if I sit funny. Almost like my ribs hit something. But the pain is more in the ribs.

so glad to hear i am not alone!!! im just 4 days out, but it feels like the port is pushing thru my skin sometimes. the incisions (i have 7 due to large adhesions from previous surgeries) dont hurt, and i have not taken any pain meds since my first day home. but if i walk alot, or when i am sleeping, it feels like a huge mass just pushing out and it really can be a bit painful. hoping this passes in time. im sure it is cause it is new, and sewn right into a muscle (i didnt know i had any lol).

Thank you all so much for your responses. It is really good to know that I am not the only one going thru this experience! Good luck to you all and keep up the hard work!

I am 5 days post op with the Realize Band and had some major port site pain just after surgery. It has lessened a lot, but my surgeon told me that the realize port is secured differently than LapBand and they actually use hooks into the muscle. It is supposed to be very secure. I am sure this has something to do with it.

Jenn, I'm 9 day out with a Realize Band and am still in pain at the port site.. you are NOT alone!

Does anyone have any suggestions how to ease this pain? Ice? Heating pads? I'm open to anything! Thanks!

You're not alone! I was banded 3 weeks ago (01/27/10) and I still have quite a bit of pain at my port site. It actually hurts more during the week (when I'm sitting at my office job) because my body pushes on the port while sitting. Ugh. So now I stand more often.