Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Bandster with quesions

Everything has happened so fast for me. I researched this WLS a few years ago, but finally got an insurance plan that would cover it with my new job. Pre-op testing was not hard, I have no comorbidities, and had to show proof that I've been trying to loose weight. So to say all that, my insurance appoved me over the phone within 2 days of having everything complete, and I was on the operating table 8 days later. I've had little time to fully prepare for the lifestyle (and I'm still waiting on a shipment of chewable vitamins, and other items) but I'm totally glad I did it. I have a few questions for eating that other bandsters might be able to answer:

1) I understand that a "slider" food goes through the pouch opening, but if food is chewed properly-won't everything become a "slider"?

2) I'd like to enjoy Pasta like once a month or so, but how would I know if food is sliding through? Will I literally feel food sliding through my pouch, or will I figure it out once I've eaten enough to be satisfied, but I'm still hungry? (I know I have to avoid carbs and sweets, etc, but I wouldn't need the band if I could live like that).:thumbup:

3) Some people discuss drinking Protein Shakes, and eating cereals, etc. My doc gave me orders to not eat ANYTHING that needs a spoon. How do you get satisfied with a Protein Shake or oatmeal that's sliding through the band?

4) Any suggestions on band-friendly ethic foods? I love Sushi, Italian, Chinese, etc. (hence the excess weight!):thumbdown:. But most food recommendations on here are chicken and veggies (boring). My husband is from the Caribbean, so I want to know if I'll be able to tolerate his cooking (curry and plantains, etc?)

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I was banded in Sept. 09. Doing good so far, ive lost 30+ pounds. I have had 4 fills and am very close to my sweet spot but havent quite hit it. Hopefully next times the charm.

I had to do 6 months of preperation BEFORE i could even get an appoitnment with the surgeon.

1. Refferal fomr my Doc

2. orientation class.

3. Support group meeting

4. nutrition class

5. Nutrition consult (1 on 1)

6. Phsycological consult

Finally I was able to get in and see the surgeon. SO after all that I had very very few questions about food and the like. How long did it take you from start to finish for your surgery? I was 7 months then my insurance denied me. SO it was another7 months and I tried again due to some changes my insurance company made. I was apporved the second time. It doesnt sound liek you had alot of WLS education.

Protein Drinks will fill you up because the fill everything above and below the band, plus its harder for your body to breakdown Protein and you stay satisfied longer.

Slider foods, I agree with ya, if you chew chew chew,,,it all gets minced up, BUT, in chewing sooooooo much you eat slooooooooow and realize you are full sooner and tend not to eat as much. Thats how it works for me anyway. Potatoe chips are slider food, imagine that.

I eat anything, I dont know if that makes me lucky or one of the ones that has to work a little harder. The only thing I have any trouble with at all are boiled eggs. I eat meat, steak, pork chicken, bread, toast, eggs, fuit and veges. I cant imagine living on chicken and veges. I loooove to slow cook ribs, I trim any fat I see off and then rub a little barbeque sauce on them and roast them,,,meat falls off the bone. I cant eat as much as my eyes want but its all good I have a salad with it and its oooohhhh so good. I cant eat anywhere near what I use to eat but its ok, ill make do and take that as a very good sign. Im not sure if this helped at all. Have fun and beware of bandster hell, try to stay focused, and it will come off. Take care!

Edited by rottie69
misplled words

Can I ask a stupid question? What's a slider food? I presume it means a food that slides through the pouch and into the actual stomach? Is that right? So do you still absorb the calories etc of a slider food? I had my surgery but was not given much information before or after. I was given a list of rules post op but no explaination as to why they were there!

Any help please.

Lu x

Slider foods are the things that are so liquified once they hit your pouch that they go right through and you are hungrier sooner. For me, that is usually things that are carb based... carbs start being broken down in your mouth with the saliva that is mixed with them, while Proteins require the chemicals in your stomach to start the breakdown process. The really bad part? All the calories are still available to you and absorbed. Another bad part? Get too used to them and you aren't using the band correctly. You can get stuck in a cycle of feeling hungry all the time even if you are eating pretty regularly.

For sushi... I have always preferred sashimi... just the fish, no rice. So that is what I have when I go. As far as eating out is concerened, it took me about five months to go out to eat. It was when I felt comfortable knowing I could eat and stop when I was full. Now, one trick I do is that I bring my own plastic food containers, and when the food arrives I first remove the food I am not going to eat, and just get it off my plate. No need to ask for a container from the server, I just take care of it myself.

The most important thing is to try things out. Nothing is off limits, it is just the quantity that you need to watch out for. Most people have no problem with spicy food, but that will be for you to find out when the time comes if your new stomach pouch likes the spicy.

Personally, I start my day with a Protein Shake. My band is tight in the morning, and that is all I can handle but need fuel for spin class. It usually isn't until around 10 or 11 in the morning that I can handle substantial food. Also, by drinking at least one shake a day I know I am getting my Protein in.

Good luck! Keep up the good work, and ask as many questions as you need to in order to find the assistance you need!!!