Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 Things I Wish Someone Told Me Before Lap-Band Surgery

In my fouth year, and maintaining a normal weight, I recently did an interview "The 7 Things I Wish Someone Told Me Before Lap-Band Surgery." This comes from the persective of looking back, 4 years after the fact. I've posted about it before but wanted to share the list. Here goes:

1. With a band, everything we have always known about how to lose weight finally works.

2. Finding the right surgeon is even more important than I realized.

3. Don’t underestimate the adjustable nature of the band.

4. You can eat a wide variety of the foods you love with a band.

5. This life-changing decision really impacts spouses, partners, and those close to you.

6. Learn from others who have bands and who have been successful.

7. If you do decide to have a band, prepare for surgery.

If you are interested in the full interview, go to Gloria's Banded Living — My Lapband Weight Loss Success Story and sign up for the audio or video download located on the right-hand side of the page, just below my before and after.

Please let me know if you find it useful.

Thanks for the info Gloria. I just set my surgery date. I had a mini-meltdown yesterday...I was so overwhelmed. I immediately found this discussion board and have felt relief with my decision.

I had a "mini-meltdown" the other day too - I thank God that as I've been fairly open I've lucked into meeting other people going through the process and esp everyone on LapBandTalk.

Stay strong - it took courage just to get to this decision - it's normal to have some jitters.

Heard a great comment from a friend who had the procedure in Nov '09 - she's an RN and states that having the lap-band surgery was the "best thing" she's ever done. 65 pounds are gone and she's coach cheerleading and traveling again.:thumbdown:

can you elaborate on #5? my husband is supportive but now that ive finally got my surgery date, hes beginning to get a little apprehensive.

Thanks for the info Gloria. I just set my surgery date. I had a mini-meltdown yesterday...I was so overwhelmed. I immediately found this discussion board and have felt relief with my decision.

I had seriousley cold feet as I was making my decision. It really helped me to find other successful patients to learn from and share my fears with. Glad you found us! Loving Banded Living!!!!

can you elaborate on #5? my husband is supportive but now that ive finally got my surgery date, hes beginning to get a little apprehensive.

Firstly, his fears are common, and I don;t know that we talk about this enough. Glad you asked!

My husband was supportive and worried; but it was coming from a place of love and concern. I found that the more data he had, the better. This is a very low risk surgery, but he still may be concerned about the surgical risks. Have you brought him to your doctor's appointments? Can you bring him to any pre-op classes or support groups? That may help. He may also be worried about the recovery period and extra responsibilities that will fall to him during your recovery. Keep in mind also that the food in your whole household may change, so that can be another concern. And then there's "I love you the way you are... "and worries about you changing and what that may mean.

You may want to go to my blog and sign up to download the video, AND go through it with him - here's the link again Gloria's Banded Living — My Lapband Weight Loss Success Story. (sign up for the download is below my before and afte rpix) That can help open the dialogue, and acknowledge his fears. Please let me know how it goes.

Edited by atgoalgal
typos

I think discussion of family impact is really important.

My husband wanted to be fully supportive, but was apprehensive, which caused him to hold back a bit.

Taking him to my surgeon's seminar and first appointment made an enormous difference for him. First, he became far more comfortable with the surgery (and the surgeon!). But maybe more importantly, he got a little bit of a reality check vis-a-vis the risks of obesity. Honestly, I don't think he ever saw me with objective eyes; to him, I wasn't morbidly obese. When he learned that staying the way I was posed far more risk than the surgery, it was an eye-opener.

My near-adult (okay, adult---but still in college) daughter was apprehensive, too. I didn't realize this because she was away at school; she was home for the month right before my surgery, so was around for the preop hustle and bustle. Her anxiety skyrocketed---she just hadn't been around for all of the discussion---so I took her to my preop seminar. Hearing just a little about what was expected, and seeing who was taking care of me, and seeing the hospital made her feel tons better.

My son, 13, has been utterly unfazed by the whole process. He has a friend whose father and grandfather were banded by the same surgical group; he knew this well before I did, and saw how well it fit in with family life. That helped A LOT. (Because we all know life revolves around how the teens are affected! LOL) Plus, we watch Big Medicine together. He has been a staunch supporter from the get-go.

ETA: Gloria, your website is awesome. I love your matter-of-fact approach. I also agree strongly that surgeon choice is critical. While it's possible to change doctors, it's well worth the effort to find one, from the outset, with whom you can imagine a lifelong relationship.

As a former RN, I can attest that surgeons frequently are not people people. They are often quite brilliant at fixing peoples' insides, but many do not have bedside manner. Patient relationships with surgeons are often short-term. This, of course, is not the case with bariatric surgeons. A good bariatric surgeon is as good with his patients' emotional needs as s/he is with their innards.

I feel SO blessed for having found the doctor I found.

Edited by BetsyB

Gloria and Betsy, thank you so much for elaborating and posting about your experiences. :thumbdown: he and i will look it over and discuss everything in the next week or two.

he has been coming with me to all of my appointments, the class, and knows the procedure pretty well. i think its just the realization that big change is approaching quickly thats getting to him. i think hes worried that maybe im going to become a food nazi and he will be forced to live off of salads for the rest of his life, which certainly wont be the case.

Gloria and Betsy, thank you so much for elaborating and posting about your experiences. :angry: he and i will look it over and discuss everything in the next week or two.

he has been coming with me to all of my appointments, the class, and knows the procedure pretty well. i think its just the realization that big change is approaching quickly thats getting to him. i think hes worried that maybe im going to become a food nazi and he will be forced to live off of salads for the rest of his life, which certainly wont be the case.

It sounds like he is being really supportive, and his concerns are real. It's great that he is participating in the process with you. I think the journey was harder on my husband than I realized at the time, but he is enjoying his "new" wife. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks so much for posting this! Betsy and Gloria, you two are very calming and inspirational! Thanks again!