Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Linseed, Sunflower, Almond (LSA)

I am just wondering if these nuts are ok the bulk up smoothies or Cereal? I have a very delicious mix of LSA which has the consistancy of breadcrumbs as they are all crushed, but tastes SO nice when mixed in smoothies like banana or sprinkled on all-bran.

It tends to bulk up the meal and add a sweeter taste, but i dont know much about the nutritional value, can anyone help me with this?

Sunflower seeds

Cals. 799 - per cup

The good: This food is very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Copper, Manganese and Selenium, and a very good source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol).

The bad: This food contains Trans Fat.

Linseeds

Linseed seeds contain many beneficial nutrients, such as Protein, fibre, various Vitamins and minerals and omega-3 fatty acids in the form of lignans. Lignans have been recently discovered to have anti-cancer properties, as well having antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral properties.

Lignans are phytoestrogens, which have a positive hormone-like action in the body. Lignans have very strong antioxidant properties as well as strong anti-cancer properties. Various studies have shown that phytoestrogens can possibly prevent some types of cancer, including oestrogen-dependent breast cancer, as well as colon and prostate cancer.

Almonds

Cals. 842 - per cup

The good: This food is very low in Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Magnesium and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol).

The Bad - -o-

Hope this helps. Sounds delicious and healthy to me!

very cool! thanks so much... it is delicious! I thought it was healthy enough but didnt know much about the fats as i know nuts contain. thanks again :thumbdown:

Your nut mix sounds really good, do you buy it pre-mixed and ground? If so, may I ask who it is made by and do you get it at a health food store or supermarket? Or do you mix it yourself? If you do the mixing what ratio of nuts do you use? I try to eat as healthy as I can - I eat 1/2 a cup (cals 35) of blueberries each day with Breakfast - they are packed with antioxidants.

Thanks.

Hi Viv, I buy it pre-mixed and ground from the local supermarket. The brand is Woolworths Naytura but thats in Australia im not sure if its the same there?

If you like the antioxidants in blueberries, have you tried Goji berries? Goji Berries | Goji Antioxidants | Goji Health food and disease prevention check out the chart it compares the goji berries to other foods including blueberries.

When i buy them i usually put them in cereal yum yum!

Oops! I did not notice you were in Perth - I should have, as I have been to Perth many times. My sister lived in Lesmurdie for many years, but has now moved south to Bussleton - a place I love. When visiting my sister I would go for a walk along the beach each morning and my footprints were the only ones in the sand - such a tranquil spot.

I have been shopping in Woolworth's, in Bunbury. I'll have to get some nut mix on my next visit.

I have not heard of Goji berries but will check them out - thanks for the info.

Oh cool :smile: My dad lives in Lesmerdie! definately check out those Goji berries... you should be able to get them from the shops or definately from the health food shop...

I had a smoothie this morning with the LSA mix...

1 banana

2 tablespoons of LSA

milk

tablespoon of honey (altho could have done without!)

was delicous and im full :smile: