Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to this and can't decide.....

I have been considering GBP for a LONG time. However, my insurance doesn't cover it so I have to be a self pay patient and it is $23,000. Needless to say I have been putting it off for financial reasons. Anyway, lately I have been doubting my decision to have GBP and have started considering the Lap-Band. I have a friend who had it done and has had very little success and I am afraid I won't suceed either. With GBP you have no choice but to succeed. I have researched GBP for a long time but not so much the Lap band. I have a lot of questions......

How much does it cost for self pay?

How quickly do you lose weight?

How soon after you get it on can you get it filled and how often?

What are the complications?

I can't address all of your concerns, but you definitely can fail to succeed with the GBP as well as the LB. You can overeat and gradually stretch the stomach out to its original size. Or, you can eat all the wrong foods, not exercise and fail to lose significant weight. Why do you think that your friend had little success with the LB? Is he/she following the instructions of the surgeon and nutritionist? Getting exercise? I had the Realize band placed on Jan 11th. i have not had a fill so there is minimal restriction at this point, but I can still only eat about 1/3 of the normal amount of food that I used to eat. I am losing a couple of pounds a week, which is less than one would lose right after GBP, but this isn't a race. I am happy losing slowly and, because I lost a substantial amount of weight during my presurgery diet, I expect to be at my goal weight by late summer.

I don't know how much self-pay is. i had insurance coverage.

Weight loss is generally 2-3 pounds every 2 weeks...usually more early on after first fill.

Complications can include band erosion, slippage, infection, blockages, and all of the other complications of any major surgery. I can tell you that I personally had none. I had very little pain and only a couple of incidents of not chewing thoroughly and getting food stuck. VERY painful until you soften it with fluids or burp it back up. I wouldn't call that a complication since it was my fault.

First fill usually 6 weeks after surgery and every month until you are properly adjusted....can hold about 4 ounces of food and swallowing is not restricted.

I'm a band PATIENT, not a health provider, but I would be happy to answer any of your questions based upon my personal experiences.

Dan

How much does it cost for self pay?

How quickly do you lose weight?

How soon after you get it on can you get it filled and how often?

What are the complications?

Well the prices are going to vary depending on where you live, the doctor, the hospital, and your specific surgery conditions. You will need to consider if it's going to be Laparoscopic or an open surgery. Even though it is called the Laparoscopic band, sometimes they may have to go and open you up during surgery. This would greatly effect the cost. The web site, LAP-BAND®.com gives the price range of $12,000 to $25,000.

As far as losing weight goes, that would be up to you. Of course, you would want to be safe and not lose weight too quickly. My doctor says 60lbs. with in the first year is a safe weight-loss rate. If you want to compare to the GBP surgery however, the statistics say patients lose weight much quicker with GBP. However, from what I've read they dont keep the weight off as long.

I'm not sure about getting the band filled. I know that the goal of filling the band is to find your "happy medium." Which is just finding the correct amount of saline to put in your band that gets you the best and safest weight loss results. Also, they want to be sure that you are able to eat properly. If there is too much restriction in the band, food won't go down. And, if there is not enough restriction, food will slide right through. I've been told finding the correct amount of saline could take while. And it varies from person to person.

Complications with the LAP-BAND® are far less than GBP. The two biggest problems are band erosion and slippage. Both problems, I beleive, will require the band to be removed. (Although, I'm not entirely sure.) The best thing to do is research, research, and more research. I've done most of my research on www.LAP-BAND®.com, and by watching youtube videos. There are several videos where you can actually watch a gastric band being installed. The more you know the better! I hope this was at least a little help to you. I tried to make it easy to understand.

I was self pay it was $10200. The price of an average used car. I didn't want to go to Mexico, where you can have it done for about $7500.

There is a lady that I play cards with who has not lost any weight with her lap band, as a matter of fact she has gained. She eats very small portions now but will eat 5-8 times a day and Snacks in between. The band can be defeated just like bypass can be. She tried to discourage me from getting the band but because I am around her enough I could see her eating habits were the blame not the band.

I think the people who have the best success are the ones who have Portion Control issues, if you eat too much at one time. This is what my problem is. I have lost 35 lbs since 10-20-09.

And I know a lady who had GB done about 5 years ago, and she has gained all her weight back plus some. So you can also eat around GB. But my step sister had GB and has lost over 100 pounds and is doing great.

So I think you have to decide what you are going to do. Be truthful with yourself. If you are going to eat junk foods, eat out alot, graze, etc. the band is not for you, but if you will eat healthy food, eat only 3 times a day, and exercise then you will do well. Oh and by the way, after you have spent 10 grand you are "pot committed":thumbup:

With GBP you have no choice but to succeed.
This is where you're absolutely, positively wrong.

In the short-term, gastric bypass patients do lose weight, pretty much no matter what they do. But after the honeymoon period, this can--and often does--reverse. The body gets VERY efficient, with its new machinery, and if not fed appropriately, weight gain is not only possible, but more common than not.

Look, whatever surgery you have, you're going to have to change your lifestyle dramatically or you WILL have difficulty reaching and/or maintaining goal.

If you want a magic bullet, you're not going to find it. Anywhere.

if you are looking into it, check with the hospitals and see if they will accept a smaller amt. My insurance only paid $8000 for the $20000 bill. Most are willing to wheel and deal.

That puts it into the same league as going across the border, and means your fills would potentially be through the same doc and local.

My doctor said that if I am not going to exercise then do not do the band. He said that you will not see the weight drop that much. GBS you will lose a lot of weight by daily routines but you can stretch the stomach. My cousin and her mom did the GBP one only lost the weight on the upper body only and the other cousin has kidney issues. I like the band cause it's reversible and will help with the long term. Exercise needs to be a part of ones life. I feel that where you have to exercise with the band you won't have the flab you would with the GBP and forces you to do the right thing at the beginning. GL with your decision.

I did mine in Monterrey, Mexico with Dr. Roberto Rumbaut -- price including hotel, airfare (for myself and my mother) and meals was about $9,000 all in. The hospital is brand-spanking-new and gorgeous, the level of care was amazing, Dr. Rumbaut is a bandster and arranged for my after care here in NYC before my surgery, and I had a private room.

I was freaked out about the Mexico thing, but then I met someone who had gone to Dr. Rumbaut and told me about her experience. Also, his office staff will spend a LOT of time with you on the phone when you are deciding, and I really appreciated that. Good luck with your decision! You can see photos of the hospital at the begining of my blog.

Best wishes,

Catherine