Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November is National Novel Writing Month!

This is how I'm going to be spending my copious free time this month -- writing my first novel ... November is National Novel Writing Month http://www.nanowrimo.org/ You can still sign up until like the last week of Novemeber.. so it isn't too late, it's only the second day of November!

What: Writing one 50,000-word novel from scratch in a month's time.

Who: You! We can't do this unless we have some other people trying it as well. Let's write laughably awful yet lengthy prose together.

Why: The reasons are endless! To actively participate in one of our era's most enchanting art forms! To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from your novel at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.

When: Sign-ups begin October 1, 2005. Writing begins November 1. To be added to the official list of winners, you must reach the 50,000-word mark by November 30 at midnight. Once your novel has been verified by our web-based team of robotic word counters, the partying begins.

Still confused? Just visit the How NaNoWriMo Works page!

Just out of curiosity, how many pages (roughly) is 50,000 words???

Sounds tempting, but I have a lot of other projects on my plate. But then again, who knows? I'm constantly being distracted... lol

I just joined the website and I am in as well.

Okay, according to my "sources", the average paperback has about 350 words per page on average.

So 50,000 words would be roughly equivalent to a 143 page paper back.

Standard conventions for manuscript format is 1" margins, 25 double-spaced lines per page, and a 12 point non-proportional font like Courier. So if you're typing this in a wordprocessing program then a good rule of thumb is one page equals 250 words.

So 50,000 words equals about 200 manuscript pages.

I'm not supposed to be at LBT but an e-mail dragged me here cause I don't want to miss out. I registred with my name and password, but do I have to register separately for this November contest? I can't figure it out.

P.S. What's a novel?

I'm so NOT writing a novel, just here to wish you all the best of luck! That'd be awesome if one of you from here won it! I'd definately have to buy that one and read it.

*gives best rah rah cheer to all who are participating*

The great part is, anyone who finishes "wins" - so we're only in competition with ourselves.

Some of us have more competition than others, though. I think DeLarla has more "selves" than most of us... ROFLMAO

Just kidding, D!!! xxoo

Oh, and Whip, just because you've already written some bonefide novels doesn't get you off the hook. Your bike is in storage now, so I challenge you to whip off a 30 (29) day masterpiece! I KNOW you can!

The chat board is a little intimidating - wow, some of those people are CLEVER.

vinesqueen - what program do we type it in that will work with the word count page. I started - I have 938 words so far.

Can't wait - like I have any time - Let's see - I'm packing up a 4 bedroom house - and moving to Illinois - I have tons of paperwork, business crap, and stock to go through....I have every size clothing known to man to go through and distribute to people....I have tons and tons of antique glassware to wrap and box....I have a Dear Hubby who wants me to be there for him every minute the poor man isn't working overtime.....

BUT I HAVE TIME TO PLAY THIS GAME......Thanks Vinesqueen....I love the edge.

Nancy

Well, this is my first time doing this, so I"m not sure. I think we just enter the number of words for the day. Word has a word counter built in as part of the program...

Okay, I just checked and there are two ways to get in your word count, the honor system and the offical word count checker. The instrctions are under the profile area.

So, I'm there as "Vinesqueen" no big surprise there. Feel free to add me to your writing buddy list

I am there as "penni60" go figure. Add me if you want as well.