Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stop Smoking Pre and Post Op....

I am having surgery on 2.22.10 and I have to quit smoking 2 weeks prior. I am wearing a patch but it doesn't seem to be really working. If I slip up with a cigarette, will it effect me terribly? I appreciate any response.

quit asap so that you can heal better. you'll be glad you did! I stopped for surgery and haven't started up again. It saves so much money!:rolleyes2:

oh and some doctors will test you before if you are a known smoker. That means they could cancel you on the day!@!!

What about trying Chantix? Your Dr can prescribe it...if you are struggling....maybe it can help.

blood i think. I didn't mention that I smoked because I knew it would cause an extra hassle and then I just quit cold turkey a month before surgery.

I am having surgery on 2.22.10 and I have to quit smoking 2 weeks prior. I am wearing a patch but it doesn't seem to be really working. If I slip up with a cigarette, will it effect me terribly? I appreciate any response.

I am having my surgery 3/10/10 an they told me that I need to be 6 weeks smoke free before they would do my surgery. An the sad part is I LOVe to smoke, so what I found that helped me was now dont laugh! was to hold a pen or pencil in between my fingers an as if i was smoking, I would even go out side on my breaks an do this. An another thing is the way I feel is that think of how much healthier we will be with not smoking an taking care of our bodies. Its is really hard to try to do both I AM 100% WITH YOU! Just try an keep up the good work an it will pay off! Good luck with everything! YOU CAN DO IT!:rolleyes2:

lol that's funny Spike, but hey if it works then I'm all for it! I'm gonna try this, I usually don't even smoke when I'm at work. If I can go 8 hours a day without smoking that I would be fine..I think its boredom! Good luck with your surgery and everything too. Thanks a bunch.:rolleyes2:

lol that's funny Spike, but hey if it works then I'm all for it! I'm gonna try this, I usually don't even smoke when I'm at work. If I can go 8 hours a day without smoking that I would be fine..I think its boredom! Good luck with your surgery and everything too. Thanks a bunch.:rolleyes2:

I know, Its my dogs name he is like my best friend! lol:smile2:

Ask your doctor for a prescription for Nicotrol Inhalers.

They are little plastic things you put a nicotine cartridge in and inhale through.

I used them last time for 3 weeks and quit for 5 years. I am doing them again and almost done.

Pros: You have something in your hand and mouth that contains nicotine.

Cons: You need a prescription and they are expensive if your insurance won't cover. About $200.

google it and see if it is right for you.

Spike, I wasn't referrring to the your name...I was saying the pencil/pen thing was funny..lol..Thanks Btrieger, I will look into that.

If you manage to quit for a month or more, do NOT start again after surgery!!!!

The craving never goes away but it is easier to fight it once you've got 3 weeks clean under your belt.

The funny thing is that I have quit for like a year being pregnant and it just seems like any stress will set me back..i'm trying to be stronger because they have gotten really expensive and i hate the smell..but for some reason it seems like a stress reliever at times..i'm trying to be strong, i don't want it to affect my surgery