Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon is too soon for the first fill?

I was banded on 1/29, so it's been 11 days and I have absolutely no restriction. My fill doctor said to come in after one month, but if I wait that long I'm definitely going to gain weight. Is it normal for me to be healing and not have restriction or should I try and call the doctor? Just your opinions, but I have had to pay out of pocket (fills too) and I don't want to waste the opportunity I have now. Please let me know what you all think...

I had my surgery on 1/27 and my doc won't due my first fill until March 15th! She said that the longer you heal, the better your chances of not having a slip. She also siad it is normal to gain a little weight between weeks 3 and 6. I have learned on here that every Dr is very different. I hope that helps.

I was banded on 1/29, so it's been 11 days and I have absolutely no restriction. My fill doctor said to come in after one month, but if I wait that long I'm definitely going to gain weight. Is it normal for me to be healing and not have restriction or should I try and call the doctor? Just your opinions, but I have had to pay out of pocket (fills too) and I don't want to waste the opportunity I have now. Please let me know what you all think...

Every doctor is different. Mine waits for 6 weeks before doing a fill. The post-op time is for healing, not weight-loss. If you gain a bit, so be it. It is not uncommon. This period is what we call bandster hell.

Borrowing from another poster...consider your band like a new car, which has an empty gas tank. It sure is pretty, but it does you no good. It can't take you anywhere without a fill up. Your band is not providing you any assistance at the moment. If you had tons of willpower, you wouldn't have needed the band :thumbup:

Try and eat reasonably now and heal up. You don't need the added swelling that can occur after a fill. Your time for losses will come after the healing is done.

Best wishes in your recovery!

your stomach is still healing you probably have stitches around your stomach too making it more sensitive. If you get fills too fast that can lead to band erosion. Only a small percent of people can it but it is possible (*raises her hand*). Think of your stomach like a babys stomach. When a baby is first born they dont eat solid food right away right? They drink milk then have mushies then work on solids. No one is expected to lose weight right after receiving the band as the first few weeks are for healing. So let your body heal now and you will thank yourself later.

My doc won't fill before 4 weeks postop.

While gaining during the postop, pre-fill period isn't uncommon, it's not a foregone conclusion, either. You can choose to eat in a way that promotes loss---it's difficult without restriction, but with a new pouch, it's not a bad idea to restrict quantity, even if you're not fully satisfied. Yes, it's like a diet--but it's temporary. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

To give you an idea of how some doctors expect their patients to eat (before fills), I'm having my first fill on Friday. I started, on Day Three postop, with pureed protein--2-3 Tbs. per meal. After 10 days, I progressed to 1.5-2 oz. of soft, then solid, Protein. That's it---protein. In small, small quantities.

I'm not suggesting you should defy your doctor's recommendations or adopt such a stringent eating plan--just pointing out that, if gaining concerns you, you can put the brakes on without harming yourself.

What I've always heard is to wait 4-6 weeks after your surgery. For me the time between getting my band, and getting good restriction was the hardest part. I felt "unbanded" although I wasn't feeling that way as early as you are. You are not missing an opportunity. It's really important to follow your doctor's insructions so that you heal corrrectly. I was self-pay too (although what I paid incuded all my fills, and visits - my doctor is super-committed to aftercare).

I can tell you that I am not a patient person, and I hated the period of time waiting to get to good restriction. You also need to understand that it may not come with your first fill. That being said, I'm here to tell you that I'm in my 4th year, and maintaining a size 4. I love my band. You may want to check out my blog at: Gloria's Banded Living — My Lapband Weight Loss Success Story .

It's my way of paying it forward to the people who helped me out. Lots of people are telling me that it really helps to read my story and understand what I went through. Let me know how I can help.

I didnt get a fill my first visit, so it was 10 weeks before I had a fill. Like others said, you need this time to heal. You want your band to set correctly so you do not have problems later with slips and stuff.

I had my first fill on January 25, 2010 and I didn't notice any difference at all. I am hungry all the time. However, I go to the support meeting and they tell me that is normal. It's 2 or 3 fills before you really notice a difference for most people. My doctor will not let us go for a fill more than once a month. I get my second fill tomorrow and I hope it makes somewhat of a difference. Just to let you know, I didn't gain any weight. I kind of just held my own and I'm eating. I also bought the Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies and it's a really good book. It explains that you will be more hungry than normal but not to worry that will go away.

I had my surgery 1/26/10 and my doctor won't do my first fill until May 3rd. I thought that was normal.

I had surgery Feb. 8th and my first fill is March 5th - that is the "norm" (4 weeks post surgery) for my surgeon. I am on soft foods now, up until my fill - the day of fill I will be all liquids, the day after puree, 1 day soft and then "regular" (whatever that will mean for me!!!). I guess each surgeon is different?

I had surgery Feb. 8th and my first fill is March 5th - that is the "norm" (4 weeks post surgery) for my surgeon. I am on soft foods now, up until my fill - the day of fill I will be all liquids, the day after puree, 1 day soft and then "regular" (whatever that will mean for me!!!). I guess each surgeon is different?

Each surgeon IS different....and you need to listen to them with regard to when/how much you should be filled. If the surgeon has been doing WLS for a long time (and you should ONLY choose a surgeon that has been doing it for a long time, successfully), then he/she will have a very good idea of what you need, how much, and when.