Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from Richmond

Hi, my name is Stephanie, I am 22 years old, and live in Richmond, VA. I am happily engaged and hope to get married on 10/10/10, and am currently waiting to get accepted to a nursing program. Needless to say, I am trying to get my life on track. I moved to Richmond to be with my fiancé, and after 3 years here, I still don’t have many friends. My weight has been a battle since I was a child. I have seen everyone possible, and tried every diet. I manage to lose weight, and then its right back up the second I look at something like a soda. My weight plays a big part in me being miserable and I am ready to change my life, and get back to the happy, playful, fun person that I can be. I am starting to feel defeated, which is why I am interested in the Lap-Band. I have my first consultation set up for 2/25, I am horribly terrified that I will be told no, and I will feel even more defeated, and finally give up. I don’t want to give up, I want to reach my goal, I know I can do it; I just need the right tools to help! Wish me Luck!!!!!:cursing:

Welcome ! I am also from the richmond area (not really, but I am there for my job at Ft. Lee). Do not be afraid of the appointment or process.

I started my process last year May or June and found out that I was pregnant so stopped pursuing it. Needless to say I had a miscarriage and kept gaining more weight. Anyway in December I started back again with the process and was approved with in 2 days of turning in my paperwork to the insurance. I have a surgery date 0f April 2nd. :cursing:

Do not give up and don't accept No for an answer if you think u desrve it. Good Luck and keep in touch

PS: Which surgeon r u using? I am going with Commonwealth Surgeons

Hi, my name is Stephanie, I am 22 years old, and live in Richmond, VA. I am happily engaged and hope to get married on 10/10/10, and am currently waiting to get accepted to a nursing program. Needless to say, I am trying to get my life on track. I moved to Richmond to be with my fiancé, and after 3 years here, I still don’t have many friends. My weight has been a battle since I was a child. I have seen everyone possible, and tried every diet. I manage to lose weight, and then its right back up the second I look at something like a soda. My weight plays a big part in me being miserable and I am ready to change my life, and get back to the happy, playful, fun person that I can be. I am starting to feel defeated, which is why I am interested in the Lap-Band®. I have my first consultation set up for 2/25, I am horribly terrified that I will be told no, and I will feel even more defeated, and finally give up. I don’t want to give up, I want to reach my goal, I know I can do it; I just need the right tools to help! Wish me Luck!!!!!:rolleyes2:
Hi I am also new to Richmond, I have been here 2 years now and I am from up North. I have started the process and my surgeon will be Dr. Bregnman. My insurance has guildines that says I must see my primary dr. for 6 months and I must also see a nutrionist. I am hoping to have my surgery in the summer. I have been battleing my weight for a long time and I want my lfe back. Congratulations on being engaged I have been married for 20 years and have a set of twin teenage girls

Stephanie, I think that we all feel/felt the same way. I'm in Staunton, VA (West of Richmond in the Shenandoah Valley). I have completed the orientation, meeting with surgeon, nutritionist and psychologist. I even met with my PCP before pursuing any of this. When I met with the nutritionist today, I freaked! Sure, I knew about the liquid diet and moving up to real food but something about seeing printed in papers made me literally freak out! I had to call my group of support people...all skinny people. They calmed me down and I feel more confident about my decision. We've all been where you are. Low self-esteem and dieting forever. I can't offer any magic pill because I haven't even had the surgery but hang in there. You ARE going to feel overwhelmed. But remember that just taking that first step is the hardest part.

Hi Stephanie,

Like you I was afraid to go to my PCP and talk to him about the lap band and I have wanted this for years. Finally this past December I worked up the courage and had all my arguements ready for him (since I knew that he would say no) and to my surprise he immediatly agreed and I am now in my 3rd month of a medically surpervised weight loss plan as required by my insurance company. Hopefully I will have my surgery done this summer. I am kicking myself for not having gone to him sooner!!!LOL

Don't be afraid, nervous, or embarrased!!!! It will be the best decision you've have ever made!!

Good Luck!

Sara