Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to be a rabbit!!!

I've read all the threads from the slow losing turtles & then read all the successes from the rappid weight losing rabbits. I am somewhere in between. I had great success in the beginning, but can't seem to get going anymore. I have stayed at the same weight for a whole month & this morning I GAINED 2 lbs!!! What the heck?!?! I'm so frustrated!! As much as I LOVE all you turtles out there, I WANT TO BE A RABBIT!!!

I had my first fill 8 weeks ago & have lost only 5 lbs since. I feel restriction, but my problem is that the band doesn't restrict junk. I think I truly have no control over food!! I tried to eat broccoli yesterday & slimed it up. Then I tried some chicken. Same thing!! Then, I tried cheetos & they went down great. THIS IS WRONG!!! My band won't let me eat healthy foods, but all the junk goes down just fine.

I work out 3x a week & eat healthy most of the time. (I have a few slip ups here & there, but not every day!)

I am so emberassed over people asking me if I've had my surgery yet. HELLO!!! I had it 3 months ago & have lost 30 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously, nobody can tell.

What are you rabbits doing that works?!?! How can I join the rabbit club?!?!

Diane, you're a chef? Me too. Now the band is like prime rib. Ya can't hurry it and still get it right.

I am both. I lost as a rabbit, and I lost as a turtle. But I think the literature I've read says the goal of the band is slow steady weight loss. Healthier and more likely to stay off.

Diane, honey, none of us want to be a Turtle, we all want to be Rabbits. In 3 months you have lost more than I have in my 8 months!

Okay, you are on a plateau. You might want to schedule a fill, and make sure you are tracking your measurements. It is quite likely that after losing those 30 pounds you body is saying "time out! regroup! regroup!" We see this a lot in the Turtle community where we will lose weight but then stop and compact for a while. Heck, we see this in you Rabbits too.

So, go schedule your fill and change up your pattern for a week. Eat at different times, eat different things, change when you excersize, go dancing an extra night this week. Change it up!

Hello Vines!!! (Turtle Spokesman herself!!!)

I am quite sure that those who are turtles don't want to be turtles. :mad: However, I feel like I'm going to be in the turtle category if I don't do something fast!! How has the "change up your pattern" been working for you?!? Have you found you've lost weight by doing this?!?! I'd love to know. My doctor told me 3 meals a day too, but I'm thinkin' I might try to several small meals a day & see how that goes. This Halloween candy has been the death of me!!

Whipple Daddy - I am not a professional Chef but I do love to cook. I work for the Pampered Chef. We sell kitchen tools!! I've been doing it for over 9 yrs & LOVE IT!! The only problem is that the food we cook is always fattening & not too healthy. But, it sure is good!!!

My other problem is that my husband is the owner of a soda pop & snack vending business. His junk food inventory is here at our house!!!!!!!!!!! I have access to any candy bar & soda pop I want at any second of the day. (Isn't that NICE!?!?!) I am proud to say I haven't had one single pop since being banded!!!!

All you rabbits out there, what's your secret?!?!? I know, I know, follow the bandster rules. Is that really all there is to it!?!? I'm open to any & all suggestions.

Diane I lost very steadily in the beginning , then from my 1 yr anniversary April of 05 until this September I lost zero weight. In October I lost 10 lbs..do not get discouraged.Palteaus are totally normal. Keep track of your NSV's during this time, the scale is the enemy. Do not let it dictate your success or failures. Those NSV's really do matter.. What worked for me was I started doing the 3 a day dairy that is reccomended when doing a low calorie diet. It seemed to have jump started my weight loss again and I have been losing 1-2 lbs a week since. www.3aday.org is the web site..check it out it may help you. I never eat 3 meals a day. I eat when I am hungry , Period! Hang in there you can do this, be patient! It will happen :mad:

The secret to being a rabbit is simple: Rabbits RUN.

I work out--a LOT. Working to lose weight for my brother's wedding last Saturday I averaged AN HOUR AND A HALF EVERY DAY (minimum) for the last 6 weeks or so. The last two weeks I added a 6-8# weight belt. I stayed between 800-1200 cals most days. I doubt I would lose anything working out only 3x per week. That's not nearly enough for loss--that's a mainenance workout schedule.

When people ask how I've been able to lose this quickly I can honestly say I've worked like a dog for it. I sweated for every damn ounce down.

So... the wedding was Saturday. It went great and I looked pretty damn good. And how much have I been working out since then? Probably an hour an a half total. And how many cals have I eaten? I'd probably stick my head in the toilet and drown myself if I counted. But Monday--thank the Lord--I'm getting a fill. (My first.) I'm going thru that "event over--taking a break" and "last meal" syndrome. I'll be working out like mad again soon.

Are you willing to workout aerobically 90 minutes a day? There's no way you won't lose weight faster if you do that. The first two it may not be as quick because you'll be building muscle and retaining Water, but after that you will notice the pounds coming off a lot faster.

Here's some answers to the above questions....

I eat about 1500 calories/day. I always drink a Protein shake for Breakfast & then a chili & salad from Wendy's for lunch. (It really fills me up!) I know exactly how many calories, carbohydrates & fat grams are in these so I don't have to think. dinner always varies, depending on what we have going on that evening.

I have been eating 3x a day. (Sometimes a snack if I'm real hungry!)

I have a large Water bottle that I keep with me all day that has the exact amount of Water I should drink every day. Sometimes I only get about half of it down. I really need to do better, but I just don't like having to go to the bathroom all day. :mad:

I have been working out at Curves 3x a week for the past 3 months. It's only a 30 min. work out & I'm thinkin' I may need more then that!!

John Q - I don't think I could go to 1000 calories a day. I get so hungry with just 1500 calories!! What are you eating & does it fill you up?!

La-madam - I have heard of the 3-a-day diet but have never tried it. I love yogurt so that could be a good change for me. I have been watching you & your great success!! I am so impressed with your weight loss. When you were losing the 100 lbs., did you work out? What did you eat?!? Did you have plateaus at the beginning?

Hi Kare!! I still can't believe you're as old as you say! You totally look like you could be 25. You are the work-out queen!! I am considering changing from working out at Curves to joining a "real" gym where I could work out longer & get more results. When you work out, what are you doing?!? Do you lift weights, treadmill?!?

Thank you ALL for your great ideas!! I LOVE having so many suggestions & helps. I don't feel like I'm all lone in this endeavor!! I am definately going to make some changes in what I'm doing. I need to "CHANGE THE FURNITURE AROUND" as they say. I'm just not sure which furniture to put where. Or, if I should just trash all the old & bring in some new?!?! ha!

I eat about 1500 calories/day.

Hi Kare!! I still can't believe you're as old as you say! You totally look like you could be 25. You are the work-out queen!! I am considering changing from working out at Curves to joining a "real" gym where I could work out longer & get more results. When you work out, what are you doing?!? Do you lift weights, treadmill?!?

QUOTE]

Thanks Diane, I have had my eyes "done" so that helps with the age thing--but I do look younger. In fact now I'm starting to have a problem with men TOO YOUNG FOR ME asking me out! (I know, you're not feeling sorry for me, but it is kindof a drag since I know they'd faint when they realized they're in bed with an old woman!)

I wouldn't be a turtle at 1500--I would be a rock. I wouldn't expect movement at the scale. A 6-foot man might be able to get away w/ that, but not a 5'6" woman.

Anyway, my workout schedule... 20-30 minutes every a.m. (before work) on the elliptical and 40- 50 minutes walking (fast) the dog every night. Most days I duck out of here for a 15-20 minute walk around lunchtime and it really makes me clearer for the rest of the day. Also I use 5# free weights (started at 2#) to do 3 sets of 15 reps of 3-4 arm exercises several nights while watching TV.

I can't stress enough how DIFFICULT every single exercise was at first and how much my body rebelled. I started the elliptical at NO incline or resistence. Now I've got it maxed out. Every time I increased my workout I was REALLY tired for at least 2 wks, but I kept at it and then got a burst of energy.

Please EXPECT it to be a BITCH. That's just the way it is--push thru and you will be rewarded. I promise. I kept myself going because I knew I was just wasting my week if I didn't do something for at LEAST two.

Our bodies really resist change (AND our minds) but we CAN overcome their resistence. Just gotta know there is going to be a lot there.

I really wish you the very best and hope this helps. Sometimes I think I sound like a big nag when it comes to exercise--but it is really the ONLY thing that has consistently worked for me in physical--as well as mental-- areas, so I'm a believer.

NO OFFENSE TO CURVES because they've done a lot of good for many people, but it didn't do a damn thing for me. The idea is quality, but I found the results to be slow. I just couldn't work out hard enough there. Plus, the idea of staring at the same pieces of equipment day in and day out was depressing for me.

Since joining a "real" gym I've seen much better results, mostly because I'm using the freeweights now. But really, that's all you need for weight training: Freeweights and a bench (and an iPod for musical motivation). I also found that interval training has made me focus much harder; it's made me more efficient with my time at the gym.

Now Synchronous Pez Dispensing, that's a REAL sport. Anybody can dispense, but can they do it synchronously?

Oh YES--the IPOD is a VALUABLE component. HOW did I ever live without one???

(I love making playlist CDs to give to my friends!)

I belong to 24-hour fitness, but haven't been for months. It's a lot quicker and easier for me to jump on the elliptical at home--no shoes (or even pants! if the kid's gone [bra NOT optional]) required or get out the door to enjoy my neighborhood. I've talked to so many people on my walks and my dog knows where all the cats hang out.

You have to be careful, but free weights are better for you than machines in that they improve your BALANCE. (This is a demonstrated fact.) Balance is more and more important as we get older. I could barely go for 10 seconds not holding on on my elliptical at the beginning, now I pump w/ quarter# weights half the time. I've noticed I am now VERY good at catching myself if I start to trip while I'm out walking.

Well, Wednesday night I spent more 6 hours working on one accounting project. I walk all I can, but with 21 credits, plus a 1/2 time job... It's all I can do to get to my belly dance class. You would think that with as much walking as I do, plus being at around 1000 calories I would lose weight, but no.

I know some rabbits don't do any extra working out, and the weight just falls off them. I had my 4th fill last week, but I didn't lose anything over the week. Why am I surprised? I'm not even disapointed, just resigned. Kind of hard to be disapointed when you get what you expect.

Kare, I will use you as my work-out role model! Last December I hired a personal trainer and was really diligent with my workouts. I lost about 12 pounds but got discouraged when I didn't see immediate results. Now I look back at where I was headed (looking much better!) and clothes that were fitting that no longer are, and I am so depressed. I made a feeble attempt to get back into the swing of things but let myself get intimidated by the "booty-ful people" working out alongside me.

I know some rabbits don't do any extra working out, and the weight just falls off them.

Who are they? Let them stand up so we can throw rotten fruit at them!

I'm sorry Crystal, I don't believe it. There are always exceptions, but I bet most rabbits work for it. Anyway, there is no question that I do. Weight has NO TROUBLE falling ON me tho. My metabolism is as slow as anybody's. Only LOTS of exercise gets it up.

Oprah works out aerobically (hard) a (minimum) of an hour a day. That KEEPS her where she's at. If Oprah hasn't found a way to lose w/o working out then I doubt I'm going to.

You are a busy, busy woman and you've got a lot of stress on you so I wouldn't advise you to push yourself to be a bunny if it's just gonna stress you more. You have to do what WORKS for you on EVERY level.

That being said (I'm sorry--really--I'm sorry, but I have to say it...) ULTIMATELY you will feel better and have MORE energy from working out. I've just seen it too many times not to believe it. I know you don't have time... I know all that... nonetheless if there were some way you could possibly work out aerobically an hour a day 5 days a week for THREE WEEKS I'll bet you $100 to a drink in Vegas next Bash that by the 4th week you will feel more energy and will show more than a half pound loss per week. I'm serious Crystal. You try it and at the 4th week tell me you feel like shit and I'll send you $100. Go ahead, take me up on it.

Or, you know... just tell me to go to hell. (GD&R)

but let myself get intimidated by the "booty-ful people" working out alongside me.

Yeah, stay away from mirrors and those skinny twits. That's something I really hate about gyms. I'm a master at avoiding the mirrors, but seem to have a radar for eyes on my fat ass. Use a gym if it helps you and don't if it doesn't. The advantage of walking is anyone can do it with you. If a friend drops by in the evening they pretty much know they're going to end up on a walk w/ Tribble and me. (TRibble's our dog--they're handy to keep ya honest about walking.)

Oh god, I feel so "preachy." My old 312# self is listening to this thinking I'm such a sickening know-it-all. Don't think I was an easy convert. But if *I* can do it, anyone can.

Well Kare <3 Bear, I think I will accept that challenge. because it won't be that much of an increase for me. I am already working really hard 2 days a week, with 20-30 minutes of pilaties or yoga, then belly dancing for 40-60 minutes, then walking 15 minutes or so back to my apartment. This doesn't include all the other walking during the day with my 20 pound backpack, or taking into account all the flights of stairs I walk during the day.

To meet your challenge, I will only have to add two-30 minute walks and an hour somewhere else.

ULTIMATELY you will feel better and have MORE energy from working out. I've just seen it too many times not to believe it. I know you don't have time... I know all that... nonetheless if there were some way you could possibly work out aerobically an hour a day 5 days a week for THREE WEEKS I'll bet you ... that by the 4th week you will feel more energy and will show more than a half pound loss per week. I'm serious Crystal. You try it and at the 4th week tell me you feel like shit and [you win]. Go ahead, take me up on it.

Okay Kare <3 Bear, is the challenge that I will lose more than my pokey half pound loss, or that I will feel better? Cause I know I will feel better, that isn't even an issue.

Your challenge, you get to pick the start date. And does arerobic activites, such as bowling count? :D

Also, I need a 5th fill. :D