Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello.... My name is Shellie and I am 34 yrs old. I am single and without any children. I have been struggling with my weight for my entire life...and what an exhausting battle it has been. I am very interested in getting a LAP-BAND®®. As a matter of fact, I have been researching it for several months now. Of course in between those months life just kind of takes over and as I have done most of my life...I put my needs on the back burner. I am looking for anyone who may have any advice on the insurance approval side and any advice in gereneral about the procedure. I would love to hear about the pros and cons people have experienced. Thank you so much for taking the time to help....it means more than I could ever express.

I am Pre-Op, so I cannot tell you about life after the fact. However, I do have a surgery date of April 2nd:thumbup:. The first step is to find out from your insurance company requiremnts are. Then take the initiative to start meeting their requirements.

When I started the process my insurance company GEHA required 6 months of doctor supervised diet. I knew that was going to be hard for me. So I started researching other insurance companies. I found one that did not need one ( Federal BCBS) and during open season I changed it. That was in December and my covergae started on 01/03/10. I was approved on 01/25/09.

My advice to you is to be proactive and meet all the requirements of the insurance companies. It may seem tedious and long but trust me if you are like me the weight will not be going anywhere. Good Luck and please feel free you have any questions.:thumbup:

Thank so much for the reply. It's great to actually of found a place I can talk to other people that are going through the same kind of things as myself. It can be hard to the only "big girl" and I often have a hard time finding others who can relate. Thank you soooo much.

I know about being the only "big girl". It is quite a challenge. Ufortunately, normal sized people are under the impression that losing weight is as easy as taking of your clothes. However, we are all made differently. I personally love to eat, however the mere site of food makes me gain weight. I am aware of my weight so I try to make an effort to make healthier choices. It does not always work. That is why I have decidced to take this step to help me loose the excess weight and be sexy in the process. I am here for u if u need to talk.

take care

Hello.... My name is Shellie and I am 34 yrs old. I am single and without any children. I have been struggling with my weight for my entire life...and what an exhausting battle it has been. I am very interested in getting a LAP-BAND®®®. As a matter of fact, I have been researching it for several months now. Of course in between those months life just kind of takes over and as I have done most of my life...I put my needs on the back burner. I am looking for anyone who may have any advice on the insurance approval side and any advice in gereneral about the procedure. I would love to hear about the pros and cons people have experienced. Thank you so much for taking the time to help....it means more than I could ever express.

Hi Shellie. You have come to the right place. Be sure to ask alot of questions.

My name is Dawn and I was banded on Oct 23, 2009. The ONLY regret that I have about this surgery is that I didn't get it along time ago. I have been over weight for much of my adult life. I will be 43 next week (Feb 17). I am wearing size 18 jeans right now. I was a size 26 when I started. Soon I should drop down to a size 16, where I haven't been in a very LONG time. I know what it's like to be in a world where everyone looks at you differently because your the 'fatty'. Where everyone tells you, "You really should start taking care of yourself better." Even though you are trying your best to take care of yourself but the food is controlling every minute of your life. My self esteem was pretty much in the toilet. Between my pre-op diet and the band I have lost 62lbs so far and am feeling much better about myself. My highest weight was 304lbs and I am now 242lbs. My self confidence is coming back again. I have about 95lbs to lose but now it doesn't seem so hard to get there. I know I can do it and I WILL get there.

In 2001 I had open heart surgery for an aortic aneurysm and valve replacement. At the time I had a pigs valve put in because I was only 33 and the thought of having to take blood thinner for the rest of my life didn't do much for me. The only draw back is that the pigs valve only lasts for 10 years (No bacon jokes please..lol) anyway so it's nearing the time for another surgery and this time I am getting the mechanical valve and taking the blood thinner. I do not want to have to go through this again when I get even older. So up until last year I wasn't really caring about much until my cardiologist told me that I am risking the chance of dieing on the table during my next surgery or risking the chance of all types of infections. That's when I said, "My life isn't going on the back burner any longer. I need to do something now." That's when I realized that I couldn't keep putting myself last and I had to start thinking about ME for once instead of the needs of everyone else. I would be no good to anyone if I was dead. So I started the research like you did and finally made up my mind that I was going to do it. I went to a seminar and then it took my insurance company 6 months to approve me. I thought the day would NEVER get here but it did and I am SO HAPPY that I went through with it. The wait sucked but the reward was awesome.

My suggestion to you is to find a doctor in your area and attend the free seminar. There office should be able to help you with the approval of everything.

I wish you luck on your journey and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. :rolleyes2:

I had the lap band in 2007. I am at goal as a matter of fact just had plastic surgery on tummy and boobs 12 days ago. Hubby and I were out shopping and I got a really sexy red nightie w/thong undies. Guess what the nightie and undies fit and looked really good on me, imagine that because at one time that wouldn't have been the case. So my advice is to check out what your insurance is willing to do and start the process as soon as you can.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. the approval process for me is terrifying. I have been through it before and was denied several yrs ago. I am educating myself much more this time. My obesity has consumed most of my childhood and all of my adult life so making this decision for myself has not been half hearted. I congratulate you on your journey and wish you the best.

You have made the greatest decision ever! I to have been heavy all my life and have been on every diet know to mankind at least once if not twice.

My insurance company Cigna made me do the supervised weight loss program for 6 months before approval. Boy was I pissed....Did they not know I had tried everything prior to this....BUT in the long run I am glad i had to do it.

It tought me to look at food for nutrition and not as comfort, it tought me to control my portions and think about everything i put in my mouth. I lost 30lbs in that 6 months and have lost about 40lbs since surgery. I think that I have been successful and not had bouts of depression that some seem to have after surgery because I had already started taking control of my own food intake.....

GOOD LUCK! :rolleyes2:

I have cigna as well...and from what I have read through other peoples testimonies....it sounds like 6 months of a medically supervised diet is manditory. At this point in my life I would be willing to pay the extra money to do this. Thank you so much for your reply. I am wishing you well on your journey to your goal weight and to a lifetime of happiness.

I did Weight Watchers and saw my family Dr. every month....She was an advocate for this surgery so she took very good medical notes...My surgeon says that is the key to getting Cigna to pay....great medical notes on everything from exercise, to mental health, and any other complications you may have due to your weight. as well as, not going more than 30 days between Dr. visits...If you do they can make you start all over again. It was my understanding it really didn't matter how much weight you lost on the program, just that you did it and stuck to the program...Good Luck you will do great!

Shellie: Be sure you investigate all the different WLS and pick the best one for you. You may find that one other than the Lap Band may be better for you.

I have the lap band and I can tell you it is a hard road. Good luck on what ever you decide.