Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was/is your Daily Caloric Intake while on pre-Op diet

I am going to be starting my pre-op diet next Monday and I have been getting prepared for what I will be eating/drinking for the week prior to my surgery. I am allowed any amount of clear broth, Water and any drinks, ice pops and Jello that are sugar free. I am allowed lowfat/sugar free yogurt up to 3 times a day, 1/2 c. cottage cheese and 1 C of milk up to 3 times a day and up to 3 8 oz. protien shakes a day.

I have done a little spreadsheet and figured out my total caloric intake to be 980 a day. It breaks down to be 122 g of protien, 18.5 g fat, and 41 g of sugar. The calorie amount seems to low and I will be speaking with my doctor to determine what he thinks is appropriate for me, but I was wondering what type of caloric/protien/fat/sugar amounts you had on your pre-op diet.

Edited by PalmBayTish72

I was on the Optifast for one week. It was 5 shakes and 2 bars a day. About 750 calories a day.

I am on day 4 of 14 days of my pre-op liquid diet:crying:. Let me tell you it has not been easy. Weekends are the hardest. While at work I am busy and keep my mind off it. It is defintly a mind game. I am allowed only 800 calories a day. All liquids except for sugar-free jello-o. What I would not do for just a bite of food. But I will not go there. I have lost 10lbs in only for days.:) I am very luckly that my husband is very supportive and does all the cooking for the himself and our three kids. If I had to be around food right now I think I might go crazy. When they are eating dinner, I take a shower. It is a mental challenge and one can not really prepare for. I will say I have more energy and feel a ton better having all that "crap" out of my system. Good Luck! Just keep telling yourself its all worth it!!!

I am totally preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best. My husband is very supportive and he said he and my daughter will be eating most their dinners out the week I am pre-op. Luckily my daughter loves ramen noodles (she is 6) and I can drink the liquid (she doesn't like it) and she'll eat the noodles. Husband just doesn't want to torture me. How sweet is that, but I do need to learn to be able to handle the smell of food when I might not be able to eat.

Basically, I am telling myself that I have to suck it up and suffer a through it in order to get me to where I want to be a year from now. In the grand scheme of things, two or three weeks of liquids and soft foods is really a drop in the bucket.

I was allowed 3-4 shakes a day plus the broth, SF Jello, SF popsicles, Water, crystal light. The shakes have 170 calories so I averaged 600-700 calories a day....I was probably the most tired I have ever been in my entire life those 2 weeks.

With your shakes, did you make them with milk or water> I ask because the protien powder I have is 130 calories for the 1 scoop of powder and if I add 1% milk, that is another 110 calories for a total of 240 a shake. Multiply that times 3, that's 720. That doesn't count any calories for yougurt, cottage cheesr and broth. I know it doesn't add up much, but I just don't see how I am going to manage on less than 1000 calories a day without getting a MASSIVE headache. I can handle the eating less and dealing with the hunger, but when I don't get enough calories, I get wicked headaches.

I guess Alleve will be my friend. My coworkers are totally prepared for me to be in psycho-bitch mode, so when all this is over, I am treating my 2 office mates with gift certificates to their favorite restaurants. I am going to be a grumpy gus!

Mine were made with Water and yep, had massive headaches the first couple days...got better after 5-6 days though. Good luck!

I start mine in about 9 hours. It's an all Opti-fast diet for 3 weeks, yes 3 weeks.

exactly 800 calories a day.

* Reshee and I have the same surgeon. It's not fair that she only has 2 weeks. :)

Edited by btrieger

I start pre-op tomorrow too. Also expecting headaches and severe moodiness.

Here we go.

If others could do it, so can I.

THREE WEEKS? Sweet Georgia Brown! I don't know if I could handle that, but I can only imagine you will drop some serious weight before your surgery and once you get to start eating mushies and soft foods, it'll be like being in heaven!

Best of luck to you and do keep us posted!

I just had my first Opti-fast shake ever and this may scare some but I thought it was delicious.

I don't know how well these shakes will suppress my appetite but I am going to have no problem drinking 5 a day.

Ive averaged about 575-650...but ya the first 3-4 days are brutal...but if you can get past that by keeping busy etc youll make it im on day 8 of 10, surgery is thursday and im so looking forward to it...posts on here have kept me honest...after hearing ppl that cheated have woken up from surgery WITHOUT the band....that would keep anybody honest i think---good luck

Mine involved 2 Protein shakes and 1 protein/veg meal (4 oz. Protein, 1/2 cup nonstarchy veggies). I was also allowed broth, SF Jello, and SF popsicles.

My calories never went much above 600. In terms of breakdown, it was primarily protein, a fair amount of fat, and not more than around 25-30 g carbohydrate each day.

Yes, the calorie intake is very low--but it serves a purpose. Low intake, along with low carb, stimulates the liver to release its store of glycogen, which causes it to shrink and makes surgery safer and easier to carry out.

Still, the first few days are rough---but it's worth it in the end :)

Mine was 3 1/2 weeks. About 500-600 calories a day. All prepacked little packets of food to mix with Water and either cook or drink. Not very tasty. I was down to about 300 calories a day for a while because I just couldn't stomach eating more. I am happy to say that I am on my last day, and I didn't cheat - not once, not even a lick. So proud of myself. Surgery tomorrow.