Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to forum, question

Hello about 10 days out from lap band surgery. In pureed food stage. Everything seems to be going smooth but I Wondering how you know if something gets stuck at the band. Thanks

Hi! I was just banded on 1/28 so my advice may not come with my own experience but from others. I have 3 support people who have been thru it. They all tell me that if something is stuck you will know it. It is immediate and you will either have the feeling that it is sitting there and u need to get it down or you will be sick and throw it up. Hope this helps! Take care.

Hello about 10 days out from LAP-BAND® surgery. In pureed food stage. Everything seems to be going smooth but I Wondering how you know if something gets stuck at the band. Thanks

Oh my...You will know. It is the worst chest or back pain you will feel. You will instantly want to put your fork down.No doubt about you knowing when it happens. Sometime you will start sliming and need to go to the bathroom. It is very painfull at times...Ughhh i hate it but mine passes soon.....i am learning my lesson every day i have the band....

Yep, like everyone has said...you WILL know. The good thing is it does seem to pass fairly quickly. Warm liquids seem to help me when that happens.

Congrats on your surgery! Just remember...tiny almond sized bites and :thumbup: chew, chew, chew....

Good luck!

I'm day 7, still on clear fluids so this is good to know. Thanks!

When you get 'stuck', you will know without a doubt because you will be in pain. It feels like you have a fist stuck just at the bottom of your breast bone.

I have a follow up question! In my brain, I had imagined that the food you eat kind of hits the pouch first, sits for a while (hence feeling full longer) and then you start to digest. I figured once the food starts to empty from the pouch into your stomach was when you would feel food get stuck.

I just got my third fill (surgery was 11/2/09) and I can barely have a bite of anything without almost immediate pain (chest and back); what I imagine is food getting stuck. It does not last a long time (10-15 minutes?). What is happening? I have never had to throw up or had excessive sliming (although I think I have had some).

I do not want to "unfill" any amount as this is the first time I have felt real restriction, but this pain in crazy!

If its stuck, you will burp it up. Take a swig of Water and you'll see what I mean. :)

Hello about 10 days out from LAP-BAND® surgery. In pureed food stage. Everything seems to be going smooth but I Wondering how you know if something gets stuck at the band. Thanks

I have a follow up question! In my brain, I had imagined that the food you eat kind of hits the pouch first, sits for a while (hence feeling full longer) and then you start to digest.

I figured once the food starts to empty from the pouch into your stomach was when you would feel food get stuck.

I have not found this to be the case... If I swallow something that is not chewed well enough or is not small enough, I feel it immediately... It feels like it is sitting right in my throat and I have terrible chest pressure and I start salivating tremendously and I know then to grab a couple of napkins because in about 2 minutes or less it comes rolling right back out. Mostly its a bunch of slimy goo with bits of food in it... The food hasn't really gotten down so there is no decomposition from digestion.... It's pretty gross but ahhhhhh the relief when it comes up and out.... It's not really like throwing up... I don't feel my stomach squeezing like when you throw up....

Does anyone on here have experience with food getting stuck after it has begun digesting and is trying to move from the small pouch to the larger one???

well when u 1st get banded u dnt have any Fluid in ur band unles ur doc leaves a little in u. so its just like ur band is there n open and ur stomach is healing from the surgery...just take ur time and chew very slowly..... when u start getting ur fills n something gets stuck trust me u will know because it will hurt really bad. it feels like something is stuck in ur chest and its nt a good feeling... enjoy ur food while u can now just dont over do it

I just got my third fill (surgery was 11/2/09) and I can barely have a bite of anything without almost immediate pain (chest and back); what I imagine is food getting stuck. It does not last a long time (10-15 minutes?). What is happening? I have never had to throw up or had excessive sliming (although I think I have had some).

You may just have temporary swelling. I'd just do liquids (protein shakes and soups) for a few days to see if this resolves.

Oh, and I don't think the food is digesting in the upper pouch. It only digests when it finally slides through to the main part of the stomach where the digestive juices are. I could be wrong, but this is my understanding.

If someone would have told me a year ago that I would be talking about slimy goo :cursing: and stomach digestive processes in such detail I would have been grossed out and said no way... Haha... Funny how I have this whole new outlook and information/discussion topic in my life....