Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here lots of questions

Guest ames1223

Guest ames1223

Hello!

I'm Amy (23), mom to Bailey (2) and wife to Sean (29). I'm currently 5'" & 231lbs. I'm seriously considering getting the lap-band procedure done but I'm not too familiar with it. I've done some reading online but I think it would ease my mind to hear stories from people who have BTDT. I've tried numerous diets just to gain it all back and then some and I just really don't want to keep living this way, especially being 23. I think part of me is embarassed that I've let myself go to the point I need this surgery. I mean I've been overweight my whole life and once I had my daughter I can't seem to get under 186. I recently got pregnant again (but I miscarried) so I gained weight from that too (most of which I have lost). We plan to have another one in the next couple of years so that is why I'm leaning towards the lap-band as it is less invasive and you can get pregnant and it's adjustable. The thought of gastric bypass scares me. Anyway now that I've babbled on...I look forward to meeting everyone!

Hi and Welcome!

There are lots of great people here and lots of information. Its great that you are so young, found out about the lapband as a less invasive option and that you are able to do something to improve your situation.

The best thing to do is to read some posts and try to learn as much as you can.

I love my band. It was the best decision I have ever made for myself. I am more almost 2 1/2 years post op and I am thrilled with my new thinner life. I started with a BMI of 53.9 and now have a BMI under 29. I am healthier, more active and have lots of energy to play with my kids.

Good luck with your journey!!!

Babs in TX

334/180

Hi, Amy, and welcome! I'm still thinking about this surgery, too, and have my first appointment scheduled with the surgeon Nov. 7. Don't be afraid to ask anything of these people...I have gotten so much great information...and it's real life practical stuff, which helps so much. Good luck with your decision.

Emily

WElcome Amy,

Lap band would be perfect for someone at your weight. I started at 238 and I am already down to 195. That is good for me.

I imagine your loss would be rather quick and the best part - lap band helps keep off the regain that is so typical in people who lose weight.

If you have any questions - just type it into the new thread and post them. Take care - nancy

Hi Amy - Welcome to LBT. You have a beautiful family :)

I've only been banded 8 months now, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. For me, its been an amazing experience and opened so many new doors.

Good luck with your research and feel free to just yell if you have any questions.

Amy, Welcome to LBT. I am not banded yet, I hope to have a date by Dec. But I do have to say everyone on LBT is wonderful, I've had all my questions answered. It's like one big family.

I've been nervous about going through with this thinking I can never stick to the diet that I would need to do, meaning, the possibilities of never eating breads, pizza and maybe other foods I may like. But it's a health decision for me, I will live without these things and from what I hear once you know you can't eat certain foods, you will end up not wanting them anyway.

Best of luck to you, your family is beautiful, If you want to chat send my a PM (private message).