Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about returning to work

Hi, im Bob. Im having my surgery on March 3rd. Im getting pretty nervous, most of it is from surgery but im wondering if i can be back to work in 2 weeks(assuming everything will go ok). Im a self employed plumber, job usually involves heavy lifting. Could possibly do "lighter" duty for a week or two. My dr. told me she doesnt put a time frame on returning, she said if i feel up to it, its fine. She said everyone is different and she encourages getting into normal routine as soon as possible. She also does not require a liquid diet, just no solid food the day before. Im going to try to do liquid diet 1 week before on my own. Just wondering if its possible to return to physical job within 2 weeks? Thanks and good luck to all.

Hi there,

I have a very physical component to my job (setting up and working trade shows= hundreds of pounds of catalog boxes, display materials and the like.) My sample case alone is about 55 lbs.

My Dr. said nothing over 10lbs. for 4 weeks, so I'll have to wait until I'm done with trade show season for surgery. :lol:

You might want to ask about specific post-op lifting instructions.

kagead

I suppose every Doc. is different but I was told I can return to work as soon as I feel ready but no lefting anything greater than 10 lbs for at least 4 weeks post op.

I had my surgery on Jan. 13th and had originally booked off one week but was not ready to go back at that time as I work 12 hour shifts and do a lot of running around. I returned for a 1/2 shift on day 12 and ten an 8 hour on day 14 and then a regular 12 hour on day 16 and had no problem with that.

I really think it depends on how you feel. I have heard of people returning to work after only 4 days. If I were you I would plan on being off for a week and then see how it goes.

Good luck. I'm sure you will do just fine.

(Lucky about the liquid diet! I had to do 2 weeks liquid pre-op and 3 weeks after am still on soft foods :lol:).

Hi, im Bob. Im having my surgery on March 3rd.

No, I'm Bob and I'm having surgery March 2nd. :lol:

Pick up the phone and give your surgeon's office a quick call. I doubt they would mind.

Actually when i said my dr. in the post above i meant surgeon. I also told her i Lift Water heaters and other heavy things and she told me when i feel up to it its fine, everyone is different. I will ask her again, i could do light duty for 2 weeks(2weeks off, 2 weeks lighter duty). I will have make it work, my situation is not going to change anytime soon. Thanks for the responses. Thats what i like about this sight, you dont have to wait for days or even hours for answers. Thanks again much appreciated.

Thanks for the responses. Thats what i like about this sight, you dont have to wait for days or even hours for answers. Thanks again much appreciated.

While it is nice to get answers to your questions here, when it comes to serious issues like Physical activity post-surgery, do NOT take what people here say very seriously....the ONLY person who you should listen to is your SURGEON. It's ok to get some eating advice and other benign information here, but it is VERY important to do what YOUR surgeon tells you to do, NOT someone else's Surgeon. If you are not sure how to schedule your return to a normal work load, then DO call your surgeon. That is PART of what they are being paid to do, to take the time to advise you in areas like this.

I personally wouldn't risk returning to work after two weeks. My surgeon told me no lifting anything more than 10 pounds for at least three weeks after my surgery. I didn't heed that advice and started lifting the mattress to make the bed, lifting 20 pound bottles of Water, etc. after about a week. I had to have surgery to resuture my port in place.

I can't guarantee that's why my port stitches failed, but I'm fairly certain that it was at least part of the problem.

Of course, you should listen to your surgeon; I don't think anyone is telling you to disregard her instructions. I would just err on the side of caution :lol: