Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was thinking this afternoon that, from the age of 13, a good portion of my life has revolved around food in one way or another. Either obsessed to the point of constant eating...or obsessed about not eating (dieting).

It occurred to me this afternoon that when I reach my goal weight, my 'obsession' will be gone...creating a void in my life. A scary thought.

You make a very good point. food surely can be an addiction. I believe I am a food addict. I think what needs to happen is a couple things. One is to feel your feelings, don't stuff them down with food. Another thing is to fill that void that food filled with other things in your life. For example, takeon a new hobby. You can do it!

You know, Elfie, you make a really good point. I can't remember what it's like to not think about food. Even when I wasn't hungry, it was already thinking to the next 2 or 3 meals. Support group and the classes have really helped, but I realize I still have an unhealthy addiction to food (after all, it's not like alcohol in that you don't need alcohol to survive where you NEED to eat in order to stay alive). It is slowly getting better, but I am so happy I did this for myself. I'm so proud of all of us :-)!

You know, Elfie, you make a really good point. I can't remember what it's like to not think about food. Even when I wasn't hungry, it was already thinking to the next 2 or 3 meals. Support group and the classes have really helped, but I realize I still have an unhealthy addiction to food (after all, it's not like alcohol in that you don't need alcohol to survive where you NEED to eat in order to stay alive). It is slowly getting better, but I am so happy I did this for myself. I'm so proud of all of us :-)!

I agree im an addict n I need 2 find something 2 replace it. I dnt even have 2 b hungry but food is on my mind. we r going 2 alright

well I am almost to goal myself, and I don't think the food obsession will ever be gone for me. Only time will tell I guess. It is a lot easier and I have made a lot of lifestyle changes, but my life still revolves around food...just in a different way!

I was thinking this afternoon that, from the age of 13, a good portion of my life has revolved around food in one way or another. Either obsessed to the point of constant eating...or obsessed about not eating (dieting).

It occurred to me this afternoon that when I reach my goal weight, my 'obsession' will be gone...creating a void in my life. A scary thought.

I'm not sure the "obsession" will ever be gone totally. Some of the other bandsters I hang out with have been banded for a couple of years, are at goal weight and still have issues with food. They do have a tool now to help them deal with those issues.

I think some of this process is to learn how to deal with the obsession and make better choices. I hope to be able to "just say no" to those things I love to over eat....butter, cheese, cream, Cookies, etc. I want to eat that stuff, but in limited and normal amounts. I want to be able to stop after a bite or two. Hence the band.

I'm also willing to take my time with this process. I'd love to drop 10 pounds a month, but I have been fat all my life and I think if I lose quickly, I just won't know how to deal with myself. I too have too many issues around food. Maybe a year from now, those issues won't be so prominent.

If there's a monkey on my back should I let him stay or beat him off?

I've got a barrel of monkeys and I don't think any of them are going anywhere. The smoking and gambling far outweigh any food obsession.

I know I will they will always be there and I have to work to keep them in check but they also serve as reminders and keep me from getting complacent.

The normal weight people I know don't constantly obsess about food, one way or the other. That's where I want to be...but I have a feeling that's not going to happen. Mainly because I know how dangerous food is to me. As someone said previously, it's an addiction, so perhaps something we must always be aware of lest we slide back into it.

btrieger...just wanted to comment that I am impressed with your weight loss as, if I understand correctly, you aren't even banded yet! Congratulations and when is your banding date?

be careful not to replace your food addiction with another one. My mother did that and has been hospitalized 3 times in the past year for alcohol abuse.

btrieger...just wanted to comment that I am impressed with your weight loss as, if I understand correctly, you aren't even banded yet! Congratulations and when is your banding date?

Thanks!! I'm getting banded on March 2 if all goes well.

I never have had a problem losing weight. I have even less problem putting it back on and that is what I am hoping the band will prevent.

The lapband is just another tool that will fit in with the others already in place:

• Bodybugg
  • Pride (ego if you will)
  • Support
  • Will to live

The monkey will probably always be there. You ( I ) just have to smack him and give him a little attitude adjustment. Maybe the band could be like a collar around the monkeys little neck to promote more control of his little monkey butt.

I find that my thoughts about food are changing with time. I never had a severe addiction or obcession with food, but I feel more like the saying "I no longer live to eat, I eat to live." Food just no longer holds as much importance. There are other things in life that are taking over that place in my mind. These thinge are still sometimes weight related, but the thoughts are more in a positive direction. Instead of thinking, "oh man, I feel so fat today," I think, "hey, maybe I can zip that pair of jeans this week."

replace food with a new hobby as I plan to do with golf...lol

My thin sister who has never been even close to having any extra pounds obsesses over food. I had always assumed it was not an issue with her because she has always been so thin. Then when I got the band, we spoke and she said, "dont you think I am hungry? I am hungry all the time, I just dont eat".

I have noticed, even though I am not at goal that I no longer obsess over what I am going to get to eat each day. It use to start a couple hours after Breakfast, I would sit and plan which cafes I could go get lunch at and then which place to have dinner. My whole life was planned around eating. All the waitstaff around town knew me by name and when I do out out to eat now, they all comment on why they never see me anymore. I think they miss my tips.

Also had a funny thing happen the other day. Saw someone I hadnt seen in several months and he said, "you look so good girl. Lost all that weight, you have to let me take you out to eat". My reward to loosing weight? food. LOL

I can't imagine a life where I don't obsess about food. Mostly I obsess about not eating it! My husband is thin and he forgets to eat! Oh how I long for a day in my life where that might happen....

Half of the contacts in my phone were take out and delivery joints.