Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad first fill experiences??

:mad:I got my 1st fill yesterday! YIKES! The surgeon COULD NOT find my port and stuck me 15 TIMES before he hit it!! He DID not use x-ray and said the trouble was because it was too deep! THEN HE ONLY PUT 1 CC IN!!! Told me I couldn't come back for another fill for a MONTH! Needless to say, I have today CHANGED SURGEONS!!! I am so sore I can hardly walk--and feel NO restriction whatsoever! Has this ever happened to anyone else?

:):mad::):mad::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

OMG no. My surgeon does it under fluoro so he can see exactly where the port is.

Glad you changed surgeons. Fills should NOT be a bad experience.

I hope you feel better!!

I got my first fill on Tuesday. My doctor doesn't use a floro or whatever that is, but by feel. However, with that said, he does numb the area first. And we determined that it's easier to get to my port if I lay down rather than stand up as the port doesn't face straight forward when I'm standing.

My port area is a little tender but not bad. I got 5 ccs though and go back again next week for another fill.

Good for changing, 15 times is crazy.

You won't probably feel restriction until your 2 or even 3rd fill though.

Hope your next one is better!

One of the techs does my fill...no fluoro, no numbing and I don't even feel the prick of the needle. She just lightly pushes until she finds the right place and voila! The other tech is another story. She pushed so hard trying to find my port that she left me sore for days and when she pushed the needle in, I swear I think she went through an area not designed for the needle because she had to push really hard. Needless to say, since that first time, I always use the other tech.

My doc lets the patient decide when they need a fill. If we're hungry and able to eat to excess, he suggests getting a fill. I got my first fill at 4 weeks and all my other fills were every 2 weeks more or less. I just had another fill this morning and it's only been a week after the last one. I'm at 8.5cc now so am hoping this will be 'the one'.

Good for you for being proactive in your care. It means you'll get to restriction faster than if you let the doctor set the schedule.

my first fill was pretty much the same... he put 4 cc's in my band then took the needle out and told me to drink Water. i couldnt even drink the water so i had to lay back down and he couldnt find the port the second time.. he stuck me around 20 times no numbing just my doc and the needle.. my port started bleeding and blood was going into the needle.. he took out .5cc s and im at my sweet spot.. it wasnt that bad... the next day i was fine just a lil pain at the port side and bruising.. i love my doc and just because we had difficulties this one time doesnt make me wanna change docs....

My 1-4 fills were fine ... but no restriction ... then at my 5th fill my doc could not find my port -- scratch that, even I could find my port without looking -- my port kept slipping when he tried to get the needle in. My doc does not use a flouroscope. He stuck me until the numbing agent wasn't working anymore, so he put in more numbing agent. That still didn't work. Finally, after 3 numbing shots and numerous shots to try to find my port entry spot, he finally got the needle in and gave me a fill. I was traumatized! And I was bleeding. It was awful. Unfortunately, I still was not at my sweet spot so I needed to go back. took me two months to get the courage up to go back. I went back with a plan in mind. I laid on my back and pushed my stomach out and voila! he was able to get the needle in the right spot after just a couple of tries! And, I had restriction! YAY! My doc is a really good guy so I didn't hold it against him. He let's me come in for fills whenever I feel I need it and he doesn't charge me the insurance co-pay. I am at my sweet spot after my last visit in December. I understand your need to change surgeons. You really need to have more control over your fills. Good luck, I hope you get to your sweet spot soon.

Yes--the doc finally got it in me when he told me to do just that---push out my stomach--also I was laying down and I bent my knees, which I think helped! Thanks!