Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

introducing myself, and small rant

Hi, I'm in the middle of my 3-month approval process, and am very ready to have my band! I have a 5-year old son who's AWESOME, and I finally decided that I needed some help if I'm going to get healthy and be here for him!! I've also quit smoking (which I'm blaming for my weight gain at my last weigh-in!!).

I'm in Dallas and will be banded by Dr. Louis Fox. Anyone have any experience with him? He was recommended by my regular doctor.

And my small rant: I'm having an issue with all this pre-surgery testing. People (even overweight people) have surgery every day all over world without psych evaluations, stress tests, and sleep studies. I'm just starting to think that they're taking advantage of people who really want this surgery and are willing to do all these things. Makes me feel bad for people without insurance or good financial resources. Maybe I'm just feeling pissy because I have to go back for a second sleep study, which has just ruined my week. I hated the first one :)

Anyway, I've gained so much information from this forum -- thanks to everyone! I have my last dietician appointment and weigh-in at the end of this month, and I hope to have my surgery by mid-March!

Lori

I was told it was all done to make a person a success with this procedure. To rule out who would not do good with the band. It is a lot to go through but just imagine all the money spent if you are not going to have the greatest benefit from you surgery.

I was told it was all done to make a person a success with this procedure. To rule out who would not do good with the band. It is a lot to go through but just imagine all the money spent if you are not going to have the greatest benefit from you surgery.

Exactly! Also, keep in mind that the sleep study is for your benefit. The surgeon needs to be prepared should you have sleep apnea and it occurs during the surgical procedure.

Well I guess that makes sense. I guess I am just letting all the stuff from the last 2 weeks get the best of me!! Previously I would have had a cocktail and several cigarettes to make myself feel better, and all this stuff would just be rolling off my shoulders :)

Hi,

I hear you! :)

I had a 6 month insurance wait, 2 apnea tests, stress test, (during which, I tore a ligament), lots of bloodwork, (enough for a full grown vampire), upper GI, swallow test, but worst of all the cardiac clearance, took 2 doc trips, several phone calls and endless faxing to get that clearance simply due to the paper trail.

The physc clearance was a trip, (she was heavier than me!)

But at last was banded last Friday and starting to feel better now..Good luck to you and have patience, it should be worth it in the end.

It is what it is...

You're right; obese people do have surgery all the time. Each one, however, has the potential to carry greater risk for the patient.

The testing isn't a money-making scam. It's to ensure that you're as healthy as possible before undergoing general anesthesia and surgery.

The psych stuff is a PITA, but there are many who really are not in the right place to have this surgery. Insurance companies can't be faulted for weeding them out---the procedure is EXPENSIVE, and identifying who needs additional support before proceeding is important.

I know the wait seems interminable, but the time will pass, and before you know it, you'll be happily banded.