Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't Ask, Don't Tell ?

President Obama's decision to seek the repeal of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy prohibiting gays from serving openly in the military and has appointed a "high-level working group" to figure out how to do it.

What do you all think???

Personally, I can not believe our president is even spending any time on this issue right now. Our country is in very bad shape with much more pressing issues!

I have no problem with gay people and I do understand this could be an important issue for them personally, but come on! This counrty is going down the toilet and every minute of the president's time should be spent on more pressing issues.

It's as unimportant as gay marriage or abortion.

Obama's plan is to get the bible thumpers and lefties fighting loudly so he can sneak other legislation through without being noticed.

This was one of Pres. Obama's campaign promises. He is making good on it. He can actually tackle more than one issue at a time and it's going to be done with input from the military and by congress.

It is actually an issue of national security because we have lost some very good men and women in the military because of this. Arabic translators, which are badly needed, and hard to replace, have been discharged. That makes no sense.

All you have to do is to hear someone talk who is dealing with legal problems as a result of "Don't ask, don't tell." You figure out real quick how important this issue is.

It isn't working and it is very important. John McCain looked like a doofus the other day saying stuff that is totally incorrect.

This is exactly the kind of thing that we expect from our president, fixing things that are broken.

As far as Obama slipping legislation by anyone, it doesn't matter what he's working on, everything he does will be noticed. Are you kidding?

Our economy is in the crapper. Companies are sending our jobs to third world countries. Unemployment is skyrocketing. Generations of welfare scum are living the good life for free. Our prisons are overcrowded and we are letting criminals free because we have nowhere to put them. Murderous scum isn't being put to death fast enough.

Every issue is important to somebody but I think a couple of dudes kissing in a foxhole is nowhere near the top of the list.

Now I know you're kidding. You couldn't possibly think that "a couple of dudes kissing in a fox hole" is why this is an important issue.

All those other things you listed have been big problems for a really long time. They won't be solved overnight. This "Don't ask, don't tell" policy should be kicked to the curb immediately!

You're pretty funny.

Now I know you're kidding. You couldn't possibly think that "a couple of dudes kissing in a fox hole" is why this is an important issue.

All those other things you listed have been big problems for a really long time. They won't be solved overnight. This "Don't ask, don't tell" policy should be kicked to the curb immediately!

You're pretty funny.

And replaced with an "Ask and tell policy that was in place prior?"

I have mixed feelings on the matter. The no gay rule is wrong in my opinion but it is a rule. If you are gay, you are not going to be legally able to join the military. If you are more patriotic than gay, then join and don't be flamboyant.

I spent more than 5 years in the military and have known plenty of gay soldiers. They did what would get them kicked out far away from the base and nobody bothered them.

The military serves an important function. To protect what is left of our freedom in this country. It is not a good place for social experiments.

If the ban is lifted immediately. A bunch of flamboyant sissies will join the military just because they can and they want to piss off the intolerant people. What they will do is piss off everybody including the gay soldiers that joined out of patriotism. Many "real" soldiers will quit. Then they will start asking for more and more from the military because they are special. After a while the sissies will realize that the military is not a game and quit as well. What will be left is a mere memory of a once great military.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with flamboyant sissies. I just don't think they belong in the military.

When our country is in such bad shape, I think it is a waste of my hard earned tax $$ to spend even one thin dime on this issue.

I understand that more than one issue can be dealt with at a time, but there are hundreds of more important issues that should be higher on the list.

Did these gay translators say they were gay and then got kicked out of the military? Were they really gay or did they just find an easy way out?

Even the military has more important issues than this one.

From the Huffington Post:

Dan Choi, a West Point graduate and officer in the Army National Guard who is fluent in Arabic and who returned recently from Iraq, received notice today that the military is about to fire him. Why? Because he came out of the closet as a gay man on national television.

I hardly think a West Point graduate is looking for "an easy way out".

Why should anyone have to deny who and what they are to be able to honorably serve this country?

Since 1994 about 12,500 service men and women have been discharged due to being gay. With our troops spread so thin, we can hardly afford to discharge these men and women

The congress and the military are going to investigate this. That's their job. And they can do this while handling other important issues. It's not an either/or situation.

From the Huffington Post:

Dan Choi, a West Point graduate and officer in the Army National Guard who is fluent in Arabic and who returned recently from Iraq, received notice today that the military is about to fire him. Why? Because he came out of the closet as a gay man on national television.

I hardly think a West Point graduate is looking for "an easy way out".

Why should anyone have to deny who and what they are to be able to honorably serve this country?

Since 1994 about 12,500 service men and women have been discharged due to being gay. With our troops spread so thin, we can hardly afford to discharge these men and women

The congress and the military are going to investigate this. That's their job. And they can do this while handling other important issues. It's not an either/or situation.

I personally do not care if the guy is gay or not.

I personally work very hard and pay a great deal in taxes to pay congress over inflated salaries. They are wasting money on this issue. The guy knew the rules that are in place. I am not saying the rules are right or wrong. He could have waited it out awhile while more important issues were delt with if he really wanted to stay in the military. I don't care where he got his training. Maybe he was sick and tired of going to Iraq. I don't care what his reason was for coming out on T.V. was. There are guys coming back from Iraq who are commiting murder and abusing their wives and children. That is more important than some guy being gay.

There are families becoming homeless every day. That is more important.

I personally do not care if the guy is gay or not.

I personally work very hard and pay a great deal in taxes to pay congress over inflated salaries. They are wasting money on this issue. The guy knew the rules that are in place. I am not saying the rules are right or wrong. He could have waited it out awhile while more important issues were delt with if he really wanted to stay in the military. I don't care where he got his training. Maybe he was sick and tired of going to Iraq. I don't care what his reason was for coming out on T.V. was. There are guys coming back from Iraq who are commiting murder and abusing their wives and children. That is more important than some guy being gay.

There are families becoming homeless every day. That is more important.

Congress will earn their salary whether they tackle this issue or not. Right now they are working on a jobs bill, financial reform and health care. I will be interested to see who votes for and against these bills.

I have also seen the needs of returning vets addressed from PTSD to brain injuries. Michelle Obama is very involved with military families and their problems and advocates for them.

I agree that there are more important things to deal with in the military than if someone is gay, which is why the law should be repealed.

I have not seen any additional costs associated with investigating DADT. If you have that information, please post it.

They need to SOLVE the most important problems before they spend any time on gay issues. If they spend 15 mins. on unimportant issues it is a waste of my taxes. They could have spent that time on better things.

I have not seen any additional costs associated with investigating DADT. If you have that information, please post it.

Who is paying these people to investigate?

Bt: "I spent more than 5 years in the military and have known plenty of gay soldiers. They did what would get them kicked out far away from the base and nobody bothered them."

Doesn't that really say it all?

I find it lucicrous to think that gay people will join the military just to make a point. A person could die or maimed from being shot at. That's a pretty serious consequence for trying to make a point by "pissing people off."

Every person who is capable should have the priviledge of serving their country and should not be barred because of their sexual preference. Sexual preference should never be the basis of any kind of discrimination. If someone is a lawbreaker, certainly they should be banned. If someone is so "flamboyant" that they are unable to keep their feet securely in their combat boots, then that's a problem.

As for the West Point man who "came out" on TV, I don't know if he's the same man I saw interviewed but the one I saw was "outed" by a civilian, not because he decided to make his homosexuality public. There have been more than one well-qualified military men who have tried to fight this ridiculous discriminatory ban.