Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor No support

I really could use a mentor.

I am a 38 year old male who's surgery is scheduled for 2/25.

I am getting very little support from the people around me.

My parents are against it and my fiancee' does not undertand why I just don't "eat less and exercise more".

I am located in FL.

My current weight is 303 and my goal weight is 195.

As my surgery gets closer I am extremely nervous and feel like I have no one to lean on.

Help!

Congratulations on a surgery date. I would be happy to talk to you. I am pretty new myself 6 months post op but I have had no problems at all. Sometimes people just do not understand what is feels like. My husband is very supportive but he weights the same as when I married him 29 years ago. So he understands but at the same time how can he really?

I have lost 51 lbs in 6 months, I did not have to do pre op diet. A couple of women I met on the boards here started our own support group we meet once a month for coffee. So if your Dr has a support group I would start going now. It helps so much to find out things that seem hard or strange to you are normal because other people are going throught them too. Feel free to private message me or e-mail me at crodriguez17@comcast.net. I would be glad to support you unless you would perfer men it won't hurt my feelings. Many people this board and are so supportive they have helped me a lot. Hang in there it is all worth it!!!!

Edited by 123crod
SPELLING

My parents are against it and my fiancee' does not undertand why I just don't "eat less and exercise more".

I am located in FL.

As my surgery gets closer I am extremely nervous and feel like I have no one to lean on.

Help!

You have made a great decision. I understand your fear and your need for support. I am 5+ years out and have done incredibly well with the band- down 250 lbs. I have a close friend and business associate who has also done incredibly well- down 90 lbs- she is 4 years out. I would be more than happy to provide whatever support I can for you on your journey. Please feel free to use this forum, send PM's or email me with questions, concerns, fears, or just to chat. I have been "mentoring" for 3+ years now so believe me I've heard it all and there are only Great questions so don't hold back. If you want to look at something that may give you some insight into your feelings and what is going on please check out my blog at www.sandisbandedliving.com I started it to provide a place where people can follow a story from day one through maintaining a significant weight loss and feel safe in making comments or asking questions. whatever you decide, best of luck to you.

sandi2004

I don't think I am qualified to be a mentor based on the fact that I got my band 10/20/09, however, I am a great cheerleader!

I understand the "why don't you just....instead of surgery" objection. At first my husband said the same thing. But like I told him "I have been overweight for 15 years if I could, I would have before now. (D*mn it!)"

I think everyone that loves you becomes use to you the way you are and in typical human fashion resists change. Plus they are scared, it is surgery you know. But only you know if its the best thing for you.

At 303 and 38 years you need to address it. It is impacting your life. I cant express the relief of just losing 34 lbs. (For instance, when I walk, my thighs are no longer in danger of starting a forest fire!)

Please read alot of peoples stories and try and see if the lapband is going to be the right choice for you. If I had it to do over I would look through other peoples profiles and see what their eating habits were before they had surgery and try to pick our people who had the same types of eating habits that you do and see what kind of success they have had.

Hello! I would love to be a friend and help you along! I am in the Seminole area. I was banded 11/23/9 and have lost 50 lbs as of this morning (my tickler is not updated). My husband and my parents are supportive. At first my parents not so much but now they can see how little problems I have I had and how great I have done. I still have about 75 lbs to go. I do attend a support group that is associated with Morton Plant Hospital as well as I am on this sight all the time. You can email me at either of my email addresses michele.bardo@gd-ots.com or dsmith16@tampabay.rr.com Another thing you will find is that a lot of people think that being banded is the easy way out..if they only knew!! It is the best thing I have ever done and it is not easy!!

Thank you everyone for that posts and the overwhelming support. It is nice to have a group of people that truely understands what I am going through. I may need to lean on you guys as my journey progresses and I appreciate all of your help so far.

I am here for you too! I have not had my surgery and I am not due for it until May, but if you ever need to talk just message me on here or feel free to email me ms.rhonda71@yahoo.com. My support group (family) is kinda wishy washy about the whole thing.

dnunzo...are you still set for the 25th??

I am located in FL.

Help!

You are doing the right thing by reaching out. If we could do it with diet and exercise we would have! I'm here for you. You have reasonable goals and with lifestyle changes and support you will achieve them- surgery is a bit scary- can I suggest you take a look at my blog so you can see what I felt like before surgery and download the "7things I wish I knew before having lapband surgery" for some tips and tools to use- here is a summary of the 7 things:

· Number 1

· With a band, everything we have always known about how to lose weight finally works.

· Number 2

· Finding the right surgeon is even more important than I realized.

· Number 3

· Don’t underestimate the adjustable nature of the band.

· Number 4

· You can eat a wide variety of the foods you love with a band.

· Number 5

· This life-changing decision really impacts spouses, partners, and those close to you.

· Number 6 Learn from others who have bands and who have been successful and finally

Number 7 If you do decide to have a band, prepare for surgery

You can find the blog at Sandi's Banded Living — My Lapband Weight Loss Success Story

Good luck!

hi i am too not qualified to be a mentor, but i can sure be your ebuddy. and i can try my best to give you support. you can write anytime. :redface:

Help!

You are possitively doing the right thing. As it's been said before, if we could do it ourselves we would have. You have to do this for you. They'll come around. If you need an ear just shout out here. This is a great site. I'm thankful everyday that I found it just before my surgery.

Thanks again everyone, you guys are the best. Today is 2/22. I have my pre-op weigh in today and all of my pre-op testing. My goal as to lose 20lbs on the pre-op diet. It looks like I lost 18lbs. Not bad! I can not believe that my surgery is only 3 days away and that I made it through that pre-op diet. Thanks again all and I will post prior to my surgery.

Yeah for 18 lbs! Good luck with the testing and keep us updated.

I don't know where in Florida you are but I am in Florida. I was banded May 19, 2009. I am very fortunate that I have a ton of support. Feel free to contact me w/any questions you have or when you are having a moment that you really feel like you need some support... I guess I would be like your sponsor in AA.. LOL you can contact me at untfluter@comcast.net Congratulations on your surgery date and good luck!! You will do great!

I am located in FL.

Help!

D, Sending you good vibes today. You'll do great.

Keep us in the loop and remember to keep walking when you get home. (it gets rid of the gas pockets)