Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*Gasp* Encouragement needed

Well it has come down to it. I have the money, had the lab work and EKG...all I need to do is schedule the appointment. I'm nervous though because it is SO MUCH MONEY, and I am intentionally changing my body what if I do it and feel horrible and regret it (even though inside I know that I won't). Initial worry is setting in. Please tell me all the great things about your lapband.

Hi Jini, the greatest thing about my band is that I didn't die from resperatory failure.

You see, before Iwas banded, I spent the last two years in and out of the hospital, on extra breathing treatments, on oxygen therapy, lots of trips to the ER, lots of extra treatments of prednisone. So, the best thing is that I'm still alive. Does it get any better than that?

I have not seen the typical weight loss, but I've had more than 50 Non-scale victories. (check out my signature.)

That is AMAZING! AND ENCOURAGING! I love your NSV's...keep up the amazing work, it's definatly an encouragement.

Hi Jini,

I was self-pay also...and had my surgery almost 2 weeks ago. It IS a lot of money, but I was beginning to have a lot of problems...since the surgery I've lost 15 pounds...probably Water weight, but at least my feet and ankles are no longer swollen...I think I've made the right decision...

Good luck!

~Pamela.

I was self pay too, no doubt it's a lot of money, but can you put a price on your health. I don't feel like I really changed my body, nothing was rearranged or removed or shortened, AND it's completely reversible.

I was self-pay, and the $200 a month payments are getting me nowhere on paying it off, either. Plus I'm driving a 94 Caravan that's awful looking but runs. I only have one sliding side door (not 2 like the new ones) and no CD player. It's really terrible for me :) that I have to drive an old van when I could be in something newer with a few more bells (but maybe not whistles). BUT, I can actually crawl into the back, through the one sliding door, past the car seat backed up to the front passenger seat, into the center of the van, turn around, pick up the Cheerios and papers and crayons, fish out the juice and milk cups from yesterday (ewww) and get out of the van without being winded, red-faced, and sweaty and miserable.

I'll live with the debt and the old van. It's worth it. When the van breaks, I'll get a job and a newer van and increase my band payments. It's just money. I weigh 50 pounds less than I did this time 2 years ago, and 30 of that I have lost since being banded in April. I'm happier, healthier, under 200 pounds for Pete's sake! and I don't feel like I have an altered body. I have a little band in there. It helps me. I take care of it and we live together happily. :D

No regrets.

I guess I justified the cost. I am driving my 5th new car. Where are those other 4 cars I payed for (and 2 used ones)? I barely got enough trade in on each one to get a decent down payment on the next one. I figure if I can blow $100,000 on cars in the last 20 years, I can pay this for the quality of the next 50 years of my LIFE!!!;-)

I was self pay. I was SO nervous and very anxious about the situation but I don't regret it. I have not lost near as much as I wish I would have but I know I am going to as soon as I can get correctly adjusted. PLUS I have not gained and I binge much less which means less guilt and more authetic living.

Please pm me if you have any questions.

GOOD LUCK!

Lindsay

I think that we all have our fears of regret! I certainly did, and even still. Occasionally am afraid this won't work, or that I'll regret it someday. NONETHELESS, each day that I live with the band and see the pounds melting off, I am reassured that I made a good decision, the best possible decision. There is no way that I could have lost this much weight without this tool. I work at it too, but I know that THE BAND HELPS, tremendously! I have thank God that I have had a very easy go of it with the band, no difficulties in surgery, no difficulties recovering, and just the usual things in adjusting to it. It can be hard at times, but again, it is so worth it, and for the most part, it has begun to make me feel FREE of all that old food & weight stuff swirling aroung in my head because now I am in control. Wow, that's such a relief! I am grateful that I didn't have to pay for it out of pocket, I got insurance that would cover it. But, your health and happines really and truly is worth the expense, especially because the odds are that it will totally change your life and you'll never look back!

Well it is 5 weeks since I started the pre-op diet (2 weeks) and 3 weeks since surgery. Today I've lost 22 pounds (10 kilos) and I thought OMG what would I weigh now if I hadn't done this fantastic thing for ME.

I remember the feelings of doubt well. But soooo many people can't be wrong.

The best part about the band for me is the daily hope that I live with that I lived without for so many years.

Just waking up every day since surgery I can tell myself - I have the band now and I feel like I can fight this fat storing process that my body is so good at. I really do feel full. I feel like I can eat what I want to and still I don't feel the need to overeat. I really do think it gives me the edge I always needed but didn't have.

I luckily did not have to pay - but just having a surgery so drastic was quite a decision. I am glad that I did it. I have lost 43 lbs. to date and I can walk so much better than I did just 6 short months ago. That is great for me.

Having the band is something I never imagined. Now not having it - I would feel so lost.

Ask yourself the big questions and you will know the right answer for you.

Good Luck, nancy