Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone left the states to get their band. I'm considering it. I feel desprate. I dont want to be fat any longer but I need to get some feed back .:(:frown:

Has anyone left the states to get their band. I'm considering it. I feel desprate. I dont want to be fat any longer but I need to get some feed back .:(:frown:

I was banded in Mexico last April. It was much more affordable and the medical care was really good. It is important to line up follow-up care close to where you live though.

I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Please message me with your questions.

Donna

Yes -- I went to Dr. Roberto Rumbaut in Monterrey, MX because I had a friend who went to him and had a great experience. I also had a great experience and was very impressed with his staff, the gorgeous new hospital, and Dr. Rumbaut and his team. Dr. R is a bandster too, so that made me even more comfortable.

If you click on the link to my blog (below) and go to the beginning, you can see photos from the hospital and read about how it went for me.

Good luck with your decision! I am about 15 months post-surgery and am only 3.4 pounds from goal!! Best thing I ever did for myself!

Best wishes,

Catherine

I can't stress how important CONVENIENT after care is. You really need to get an agreement upfront with a local doctor to follow through with you. I was banded in Mexico by Dr. Sanchez in 2003 (he is now deceased). I had excellent care while in Mexico. The hospital & staff treated me as good as I would have been treated in the states.... no problem at all with Mexico or my doctor.

BIG problem with follow up care. I was travelling 2 hours for fills & then my doctor (that I got the agmt with before going to Mexico) goes out of business. I couldn't get a local doctor to work with me. Honestly, I was treated like I was an idiot for going out of the country for surgery.... I just recently found a doctor willing to work with me. He only agreed because my band doctor is deceased. It has been a huge hassel...

I also had my band in Mexico, It went great. But as the above post said have your follow up care set up ahead of time. I live in Virginia and can't find a single Doctor that will take me. I was lucky enough to have a fill center USA within an hour from my house, They take pretty good care of me. I had it set up with them before I had my surgery and they checked on me from the minute I got home until my first appointment and still check on me monthly. Just do your research and homework, Know all you can ahead of time. If your well informed all should go well. Good luck!

Edited by kimaly

I can't stress how important CONVENIENT after care is.

This is a really good point. You should line up your after care stuff before you have your surgery. Dr. Rumbaut has relationships with two different groups of doctors here in NYC, and I decided to go with the doctors at NYU who co-wrote Fighting Weight with Mohammed Ali's daughter.

I worked with Dr. Rumbaut's office to coordinate the after care, and had an appointment for my post-op check-up scheduled before I even had my surgery. The fact that he was able to get me in with such a great team also gave me confidence in him. I've been really happy with them.

Not sure where you live, but you should see if whoever you decide to use in MX can hook you up with a good local doctor for fills & such.

Best wishes,

Catherine