Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Putting back on the weight 5 months post operation

I was banded 8-26-09. Pre surgery I lost 20 pounds. 2 weeks post op. I had lost 16 pounds. Within the next 4 weeks I was down about 10 more pounds. I was exercising a lot. The nurse told me to slow down the exercising. Since then I lost the motivation to exercise and have not been eating that healthy. I ended up putting back on almost all the weight I have lost post surgery. I did got a fill from 4cc to 5.2cc and the intern doctor over filled me. It was horrible and I was vomiting my own saliva because it could not go down. I ended up having to have all the Fluid removed and started from scratch again. I have had 2 fills since then. My last fill was almost a week ago. I have no idea how many cc I have because I was first filled to 4 cc then at the last fill the intern doctor told me I was at 3 cc and was putting in 1.2 cc. Now I have trouble with food getting stuck almost anytime I eat anything other than puree or fluids. However, while I have to eat slowly and chew really well I do not get full on a cup of food and I am hungry in less than 3 hours. I am a little nervous to take my Vitamins because they are bigger than food that I am having stuck issues with.

I read about everyone's successes on here and I am getting frustrated. I know I have to eat healthier and start excersing again, that is an obvious. Other than those 2 things can anyone give me feedback on 1. How will I know I am at my sweet spot? and 2. Some suggestions on how to get back on track.

3. How are people taking the pills when they have restriction?

First, check into liquid or chewable Vitamins. Some of them are very tasty. Then you won't have to worry about the pills getting stuck. I used to view them as my "treat" at the end of the day, since they were fruity and sort of like candy. It wasn't until very recently that I started taking any sorts of pills... I was even taking liquid tylenol for headaches if I needed it. I can now take advil in pill form, but expect that to change again when I get another fill. I haven't had one since last April, and haven't had restriction since at least October. But I exercised and ate right and continued to lose.

About the sweet spot: I have never found mine. I think I have it and then lose some more weight and need another fill. Maybe some day I will find it? But I know that 99% of the work is mine to do, and that my band is just my assistant. When I do find my "temporary sweet spot" I know it. Its hard to explain, but it just makes me feel in control, and not so hungry so soon after a meal.

My nurses, dietitian and PA used to tell me to slow down on the exercise too, but I never did, and yeah, I hit TONS of plateaus. But they always eventually broke, and now I am glad I did as much exercise as I did, and do, because I am the healthiest I have been in my life, including when I swam competitively in high school.

As for motivation... there are times I lose it too. Sometimes the only way I can get back on track is to do a few days of liquids to trick myself into being back at the beginning. Then baby steps... mushies and slowly adding more substantial foods. At the end of a cycle like that I tend to be more in tune with my band and its advantages. This method is not for everyone, but it does work for me. I spend that time being kind to myself, and talking to myself about my successes, kind of pumping myself up.

Good luck, keep at it. Its a long, slow process for some. There is much more to being banded than just eating right and exercising. Its about a total frame of mind change, and that takes a lot more time than establishing new eating and exercising habits.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I have similar issues. gummy vitamins are what work for me and chewable Calcium can taste really good. I also get stuck a lot even though I don't have great restriction. I have to vomit four or five times a week usually. SO frustrating! There are a lot of foods I just can't eat like chicken and scrambled eggs of all things. You just have to pay attention to what your trouble foods are and avoid them, I guess. Good luck to you! You're not alone!