Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping after eating

Its different foods all the time, not the same - one day its roast beef from the deli that I can digest properly I get the runs 30 minutes after eating. Today it was just toast with a little bit margarine - 30 minutes later -stomache ache, nauseau, then liquid direaha.

Someimtes i go to bed at night, and wake up in the morning with stomache discomfort - i minute I eat anything - 30 minutes later I have diareaha.

Anybody go through this? Maybe if I knew I wasn't alone it wouldn't be so bad. This is why one of the reasons I didn't have the gastric-bypass.

I have not had any problem like that, more that I get more constipated than I used to. That sounds like my oldest child after she had gallbladder surgery. Have you tried asking your surgeon?

I have this experience after my gall bladder surgery and it would occur usually if I skipped out on Breakfast or if the first thing I would eat was too greasy, salty etc. With the surgery, I suffer Constipation some but no diarrhea

I'm with them. I no longer have a gall bladder, and since I had it removed, I used to go after almost every meal. I also have IBS, with a tendancy toward the loose side. However, since I've been banded, that has virtually stopped. I'm regular for the first time in my life!

Same with me I had my gall bladder removed 2 years ago and no matter when or what i eat it always comes right back out. I am use to it by now. Ever since getting banded however that has really slowed down but im sure thats just cause there isnt as much food going in as b4... I would love it if it would go away all together but i doubt that will happen. I would def talk with your doctor about it. Good Luck..

I had the runs at first but has now stopped. It took about 6 weeks. You do not say when you were banded so I don't know if this is the same.

Nope.. Not here... More like Constipation here, but it's always been like that for me so it's nothing new... My Daughter has what you mention every since her gall bladder came out 4 years ago...

Okay, TMI here, but I love to get on a scale before and after I go! I seriously can lose as much as 2 to 5 pounds at once! No Exxageration... Okay that was pre band... Now since I'm eating less, it's closer to 1.5 to 2 pounds... Thats going twice a week...

I have this problem except for me can take only 5 minutes from my first bite to my first dash to the loo. I have IBS too so it's not exactly a novelty to me but I thought it would slow down with the band because food theoretically should remain in the pouch for a bit. Guess not eh? There doesn't seem to be a particular food that does it, and sometimes it takes only water!

How far post-op are you? Frequent diarrhea stools, often in response to eating, are expected in the early postop weeks.

Though "dumping" does describe it, it's really not the same kind of dumping that occurs post-RNY--so there's no need for regret over choosing this surgery over that. Dumping is a different phenomenon, caused by a different mechanism, that is accompanied by nausea, palpitations, sweating, dizziness, and often vomiting.

I'm about 3 weeks out, and have found my diarrhea has improved with time. Fat, however, really does trigger rapid stomach emptying. I suspect that as I gain some restriction, everything will slow down! (And really, cutting down on fat is a good thing, anyway :()

Banding hasn't always been dumping syndrome-free; back in the 90s, one of the more popular techniques had dumping as a hallmark side effect. I worked at the hospital where most of these procedures were performed, and several of my nurse colleagues had had the surgery; they experienced dumping in response to sugar (and sometimes fat) just as many RNYers do.

Banding has come a LOOOOONG way. (I swore back then I'd NEVER be banded--but the procedures, as well as the support, including the advent of really good quality bariatric Vitamins and Protein supplements---have really evolved.)

I used to have really bad loose stools pre-band, but I think that was because I was taking 2 1/2 Metformin (for insulin resistance) a day...it would always happen about 3 hours after I took it and it didn't matter when. Tried taking it before bed and would wake up in the middle of the night nauseated then a mad dash to the bathroom...pure liquid! (TMI, right!) And if I took it during the day I would have to go several times during the day!

But when I started my liquid pre-op diet, they reduced me down to 1 pill a day and and post band 1/2 a pill a day. Then I got constipated really badly like I used to before I started taking Metoformin. Would only have a bowel movement twice a week and then it would hurt sometimes. And I started feeling "weighed down" so I upped it back to 1 pill a day last week and am now going regularly like normal folks.

So, if you're on any type of medications, your change in eating, weightloss, etc, could be affecting how the medication is processing. And if you're not on meds, it just could be your body getting used to everything.

I hope it gets better for you..I know having the runs is no fun!!!

Though "dumping" does describe it, it's really not the same kind of dumping that occurs post-RNY--so there's no need for regret over choosing this surgery over that. Dumping is a different phenomenon, caused by a different mechanism, that is accompanied by nausea, palpitations, sweating, dizziness, and often vomiting.

Nope, that EXACTLY the dumping I get.

Ok I had surgery on Jan 4 2010. Couldn't drink any type of shake - have come to the conclusion that Protein in concentrated form causes me diareha. Happens with both SOY or whey Protein. I do have IBS. but there no particular food that causes the problem... one days its one thing, the other day its another.

Today all i have eaten was 3 oz. deli sliced roast beef - no salt, no bread, no mayonaise. just the roast beef and drank Water today - and had the runs. nothing makes sense. I thought that after surgery maybe I would get lucky and this problem would go away... but it used to happen without the surgery... no doctors have ever been able to figure out what food I should or shouldn't have. and if you look at a list for IBS - just every food is on it.

I guess - I can never stop using anti-diareha medication... I would love (this may be funny) to be constipated for just a few days or a week even..

as for weight i started at 305 - the 6 months prior surgery i lost 38 pounds, since surgery on Jan. 4th 2010 I have lost another 12 pounds.

Ask your doctor to look into your stomach enzymes. I too could not tolerate shakes in any way shape or form. I tried the non-gluten, no soy, no dairy, no preservatives... absolutely everything under the sun. When I mentioned to my mother the shakes making me sick as a dog she said it wasn't surprising given the fact I was missing enzymes :(. Apparently it was discovered when I was a baby that I am missing an enzyme in my stomach. Most people have 18, I have 17, and the one that I'm missing specifically is for the digestion of Protein. I had a special diet when I was a baby because of it and, to this day, I cannot tolerate concentrated Proteins such as large amounts of Beans, dense meats and Protein Shakes. Maybe you too have this problem. Then it would be a simple case of supplements to cover off the missing protein. I'm still working my own problem out yet so I can't really say how that's working out for me, but it nicely explains why I've avoided the high protein foods my whole life.

okay had 1/2 sandwich with lite mayo - no drinking - have sharp pain in stomach =-almost feels like a heart-attack - i know its a gas bubble but how do i make myself burb - or stop this from happening at all... almost makes me hate to eat.

but i have tried the starvation route before, and lost not one pound. but i prefer not to eat - then feel sick afterwards.

oh i hope you are right and that a supplement will help my problem... at least i have somewhere to start looking... thank you so much.