Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know you not suppose to drink an hour before and an hour after you eat….. But what if it’s the end of the night and you know you’re not going to eat anymore. Can you go ahead and have a drink after?

Banded 1/26/2010

I have some milk with my dinner, which is my last food of the day. My surgeon knows about it, and is not against a little liquid with meals. He's not crazy about me having liquids with calories, but it is a habit I don't want to break. It's about 1 cup of 1% a day. I figure I can live with that.

You shouldn't be eating/drinking so close to bedtime. It may cause problems with reflux.

I really struggled with not drinking during meals until I had restriction and now it is painful if I drink while I am eating or too soon afterwards.

Have you started eating yet?

I don't drink with meals and I wait a while after which is fine because I don't feel like a drink anyway.

I have no problem with drinking before bed. I have no reflux at all.

I have some milk with my dinner, which is my last food of the day. My surgeon knows about it, and is not against a little liquid with meals. He's not crazy about me having liquids with calories, but it is a habit I don't want to break. It's about 1 cup of 1% a day. I figure I can live with that.

I suppose I should add--that if I do more than sip with a meal, it comes up in an odd gurgling sensation. Not pretty.

So when I do have some liquid with a meal, it is not a huge amount that will mix with the food to make it a liquid consistency and flush through the band quicker.

Just some clarification, and as always, do what YOUR doctor says. Mine did not give me the no liquids with a meal law and my experimentation doesn't show that I get hungrier with the amount of liquids I take in with my meal. YMMV.

I suppose I should add--that if I do more than sip with a meal, it comes up in an odd gurgling sensation. Not pretty.

QUOTE]

I will have a sip once in a while. I saw some one post thier own personal "rule of Thumb" and it works for me. I fix about a half a cup of ICE only and get to sip at what ever melts. Since it is winter time and Freezing cold, it's not melting very fast. This rule may change in the heat of summer...

I love milk but have not had a single glass since being banded... Thats what I miss the most!

Personal feelings on it:

I drink AS MUCH AS I WANT before a meal. However, once I start a meal, I put the Water (or whatever) away. I've noticed that drinking with a meal only makes me stuck, so it's not worth it. After I'm done eating and I feel my food move through my band completely, I try and wait a while and will then only have a sip of water.